Top Shelf Aquatics

Coral EXPERTS needed.

RussianBoy

it's the tentacles that have me stumped, I have never seen a favia with 1-2" long tentacles like this does and it open day and night...

nyckeeandnate6

Kinda looks like the thing we have been attempting to ID for months. We received this at a fragging workshop and still have no clue what it is. The coloring isn't very good in this pic, but we just moved so its the best I am gonna get. At least you have multiple heads.

post-47864-1301622433_thumb.jpg

RayWhisperer

Didn't read through, so I don't know if it was suggested.

The coral looks very similar to Acan Bowerbanki both in flesh and growth.

Favia maxima

"Colonies are massive corallites are circular, large, with calices 10-30mm in diameter. septa are very regular , thickened at the wall and with well-developed paliform lobes forming a crown around the columella"

its very possible its Scolymia australis too..

"usually solitary , sometimes with two to four centers in one or more separate corallites. Corallites are less than 60mm in diameter ans saucer-shaped. Septo-costae are sturdy with blunt saw-like teeth"

skeletal structure pics would help..

but if the skeleton on the side was once another corallite i would guess it was scolymia.

the favia usually dont have seperate lobes and they connect with tissue in the valleys. the scolymia dont.

if they are scolymia I would seperate them all to give them room to grow.. and feed them regularly. they will grow quickly with good feeding :)

Archived