Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Coral EXPERTS needed.

RussianBoy

Ok so i bought this coral a long time ago, now it was said it was a favia, however the mouths open VERY wide and it has long tentacles from its mouth some up to 1.5 inches long. I had one person say favia, one said acan, and one real expert and friend told me a newer type of Scoly, that does not grow as a single but as multiple heads. You can see some of the tentacles coming from the head on the left.

post-54745-1300939230_thumb.jpg

1. what kind of scoly...

2. acan echinata- tenticals in photos seem to match

3. prism favia- colors match

this is why there is such a debate... anyone else?

I guess it's between acan echinata, and prism favia, anyone know anything about their mouths? when he opens, boy there is some serious tentacle action, never seen a favia open like this....

anemone fan

Kill a polyp and you will know for sure. Otherwise let it grow and its identity will become clear. My vote is for Acanthastrea. There are quite a few species (not just lordhowensis and echinata) and some are smooth.

ngoodermuth

I've seen the scoly you are referring to at my LFS... they called it a Dual-Polyped Button Coral or

Scolymia Vitiensis

IMO I think it looks similar, but not exactly. I almost bought one... very cool!

Well its not acan echinata or rotundaflora... they don't have defined separate heads. The ridge coming don the mouth out to the edge of the head shown makes this look like a prism favia of some type. How big is the head pictured?

yeah, has had a heck of a time getting an ID, you can see some of the skeleton, it's what it's growing on, when I got it, it was almost dead, and now it's like BAM grow grow grow....

Well its not acan echinata or rotundaflora... they don't have defined separate heads. The ridge coming don the mouth out to the edge of the head shown makes this look like a prism favia of some type. How big is the head pictured?

right next to the head on the left, is an Astrea snail.... for size comparison....

Archived