Pod Your Reef

Reef Cleaners CUC (and others) vs GHA outbreak!

kgoldy

Reef Cleaners CUC vs GHA outbreak!  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Does the CUC have a chance?

• GHA for the win!
    • CUC takes out the GHA, and is hungry for more!
    • Draw-

bottompage.jpg

In the blue corner, hailing from the mighty House of Reef Cleaners, weighing in at (unkown weight), it's The Cleanup Crew!

VS.

And in the red corner, a sight normally unseen in the world of Nano-Reef... weighing in at a massive 240lbs of absolutely solid calcium carbonate, it's kgoldy's giant money pit!

IMG_0674.jpg

Each opponent is given one week from today before they'll begin the first round. In the meantime, Coach John at ReefCleaners will be prepping the CUC for battle... While the massive Green Hair Algae outbreak continues to grow stonger, day by day. The CUC is expected to ship next Monday, and will arrive by Wednesday- then it's chow time! ...err... Fight time!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
johnmaloney

lol... can I call in a different roster? how does that work..lol... for that tank I say zig zags and planaxis wont do much... how big is this tank?

Cheapreef27
lol... can I call in a different roster? how does that work..lol... for that tank I say zig zags and planaxis wont do much... how big is this tank?

90 gallons.

Feel free to make suggestions since it won't be shipping until Monday (unless you want to ship early to get a head start!) ;) I'll make up the difference in paypal right away if necessary.

This is your custom CUC "medium strength" that I got in my email, plus the small guys, limpets and chitons. I was aiming for diversity. Theme of the tank is "as-small-as-possible"... as in, the specimens contained within.

And I don't want any bull-dozers. Keep in mind that there's also the 20 gallon fuge to split up the CUC in.

johnmaloney

oh okay i found the custom crew form. a medium crew will help out with some work for you, but I am going with gha if the fight only lasts a month vs that outbreak

Such a cool take on this thread!

Love the red and blue.

My money is on the CUC. I'll take the odds. Let's see that order customized for the win!

johnmaloney

they stay pretty localized. the rocks the chitons are on should do a bit better for sure. the limpets may help somewhat too. I like this crew:

80 Dwarf Ceriths

25 Nassarius

42 Florida Ceriths

25 Blue Legs

9 AssortedHermits

15 Large Nerite and 15 Small to Medium Nerites

they stay pretty localized. the rocks the chitons are on should do a bit better for sure. the limpets may help somewhat too. I like this crew:

80 Dwarf Ceriths

25 Nassarius

42 Florida Ceriths

25 Blue Legs

9 AssortedHermits

Forgot to mention... this is going to be a crab free zone.

I'll have to make up the difference with inverts that don't have claws.

Also, the first thing I'll be stocking is a few herbivorous fish...

Bicolor blenny

Tailspot blenny

...and probably moving my lawnmower blenny in from my biocube.

johnmaloney

this then would be my team:

80 Dwarf Ceriths

25 Nassarius

42 Florida Ceriths

4 CHitons

what you got sounds good for a medium crew, a little help with maintenance from you and it should look good. Does your lawnmower blenny eat GHA? Most don't, you may be lucky there if he does.

anyway lets start with what you have and if you end up wanting it to go faster we can always add to it later. THanks again for the order, post some pics in a few weeks when you update it.

No Turbo snails on the list?

They are the only invert I have seen to actually be effective on GHA. They will even take out patches of fair length that other invert's won't even touch.

Until you add a few Turbo snails to the roster my money is on the GHA.

johnmaloney

ceriths will eat it for sure

he wants a no hassle cuc, so sea hares are out. also wrong powerheads for them i think

no bulldozers, so turbos are out.

that crew will eat it for sure, no doubt there it just wont be that fast. ceriths do a decent job on GHA and the chitons will have their rocks clean...

I actually have two turbos in a LR/LS curing tank in my basement that I neglect horribly (they love it because they have so much food). If necessary, I can bolster the CUC team with them. Just one cleaned up horrible GHA outbreak in my 29 gallon in like three days- and that's when I was running a 12 hour light cycle and was a complete reefing noob.

And yeah, the algae blenny used to eat GHA... but it's been a few months since he's seen it. Not sure if his palate has changed since now he's hardcore into mysis and pellets.

I'd say the macros could do it on their own eventually. They'll starve it out. May get more.

That's what I was thinking.

FishStrings

This should work, but I dont think your algae is going to disapper in a week. I would do a phosphate test or just be running some sort of phosphate remover regardless of what the test said.

BTW, what you are hoping for is a draw, and some reasonable reduction over time as you bring your macros in to replace the hair.

Phosphates are testing "zero" because the GHA is eating it all up. I do have a phosban reactor hooked up- but I'm not going to mess with artificial removal of nutrients until it's necessary because of bio-load. I don't want to become dependent on GFO right off the bat, or the system will need constant human intervention.

I'm kind of hoping for a drawn out battle against GHA, because that means I won't starve out my CUC.

FishStrings

Yah, nothing mixed in to buffer your phosphates. You got the right idea. GHA feeds off the slightest amount of phosphates. It is very good at filter feeding crap from the water and collecting it. Thats why you need the CuC to pick the crap out. If it were mine, I would be using de nitrate in the reactor and just running phos guard in a little hang on in small quantities. There is pretty much nothing that is going to touch a nitrate reactor because you cant really force water to go through sand well.

Archived