SaltCritters.com

squirrel's 40g CAD 2.0 - Stuff n Junk

squirrelieygrrrl

squirrelieygrrrl

awwuh thanks dg,

it was nice being able to transfer over most of my colonies from the 16, totally made an insta-reef! its only gonna get better from here. all my sps are still coloring up more and more every day. im almost convinced its a combo of lighting and increased stability from the larger water volume.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
squirrelieygrrrl

urgh,

no matter what i do, or how many wc's i do i cant seem to get my n03 lower than 2.5ppm (brand new salifert kit). everything else is in acceptable ranges, im still dialing down my dosing so there has been some variance in alk ca and mg, but nothing substantial. this part for me is always so frustrating trying to get the dosing just right.

im tempted to give some carbon dosing a try, or maybe i just need to bite the bullet and buy a bp reactor. dunno exactly what route im gonna go for nutrient management/export just yet. agitating though, but no one seems any worse for the wear.

Like I said before....looks beautifu!

I would trade you my 0 trates for your 2.5...LOL. I'm trying to get my mushrooms to grow faster :)

lulz!

deal! now how do we go about doing this. thanks love!

heehee :) Actually my no3 is probably also around 2.5. That's what my new saltwater tests at before I put it in. But it never registers above 0 when I test directly from the tank. So we don't even have to figure out a way :lol:

squirrelieygrrrl

thanks prodi,

it came with the tank, from cadlights, and i hate it. a couple of pages back when i posted my thoughts on the cad section i explain why. mostly its because the return section is too small and i have too much water fluctuation due to evap.

Prodigal1011

Thanks for the info, I guess I skipped the only page I needed to read.

Goes to show, just because it looks good, doesn't mean it works well. I'm having a similar issue with my sump (reason for the questions).

quickfinger

Another question for you (and probably not the last!)...

So at present I am living in an apartment building where water leaks (not from me) have led to huge legal disputes. As you can imagine, I am paranoid about any kind of flooding. Yet, this tank is perfect for the space I have for it and looks great, to boot. So I was thinking of just putting bulkhead plugs in the overflow for the time being and using the overflow box as a kind of AIO-type sump, maybe with a 9002 or something, plus heater, probes, return pump and maybe a bag of carbon, CPE, etc. If I ever feel comfortable with setting up a sump, I will still have the holes to use.

Does this sound like a reasonably feasible idea at least from a plumbing perspective? Think there's space for a 9002 (I know it's undersized for the tank, but it might help a little

Nice CAD. Mine is being delivered tomorrow, but the scheduled deliver date was 3days ago. I swear FedEx freight is being a b****. I had to take a vacation day just to be home when they make delivery to help the driver unload the package. They said it weighted 250lbs and can't deliver unless someone was home to help, either that or wait another week so they can burrow some type of lifting tool. I call BS, I could probably move that 250lbs by my self. :)

I also opted for the 16g sump, which is kinda sad, looks like you're only using about 8g of it?

Your top down looks great! Looks like you are getting some good color...

:D

Couldn't resist

Pictures look really good.

squirrelieygrrrl
Thanks for the info, I guess I skipped the only page I needed to read.

Goes to show, just because it looks good, doesn't mean it works well. I'm having a similar issue with my sump (reason for the questions).

lulz, always works out that way if you ask me. though i have consistently dumb luck. :S

Another question for you (and probably not the last!)...

So at present I am living in an apartment building where water leaks (not from me) have led to huge legal disputes. As you can imagine, I am paranoid about any kind of flooding. Yet, this tank is perfect for the space I have for it and looks great, to boot. So I was thinking of just putting bulkhead plugs in the overflow for the time being and using the overflow box as a kind of AIO-type sump, maybe with a 9002 or something, plus heater, probes, return pump and maybe a bag of carbon, CPE, etc. If I ever feel comfortable with setting up a sump, I will still have the holes to use.

Does this sound like a reasonably feasible idea at least from a plumbing perspective? Think there's space for a 9002 (I know it's undersized for the tank, but it might help a little

hmmm... if it were me i would say no, though the overflow box is bulky i doubt there would be enough space in it to accommodate what your trying to achieve. you would probably end up having to go hob, which imo would totally detract from the whole rimless sleek look.

at first i was worried about possible leaks/overflowing the system. truthfully though i havnt had even the slightest concern about that after setting it up. if you were really worried though you could always get a neptune apex controller and have some float switches set up to kill the system if there was water detected on the floor, or high water levels in either the sump or display/overflow. also you can have it send you text notifications for things like that.

Nice CAD. Mine is being delivered tomorrow, but the scheduled deliver date was 3days ago. I swear FedEx freight is being a b****. I had to take a vacation day just to be home when they make delivery to help the driver unload the package. They said it weighted 250lbs and can't deliver unless someone was home to help, either that or wait another week so they can burrow some type of lifting tool. I call BS, I could probably move that 250lbs by my self. :)

I also opted for the 16g sump, which is kinda sad, looks like you're only using about 8g of it?

yea i had a similar prob with the freight company cadlights had used to ship. what a pita. hope it all arrives in good condition. its heavier than you think. we had to unpalletize it in the street just so i could get it in the house.

that sounds about right, the sump is pretty pitiful. that will probably be one of the first upgrades i do will be the sump. though i had considered using the tank its self and rearranging the baffles in it to be more functional. might be a happy medium there.

Your top down shots look great! Looks like you are getting some good coloration on the sps...

thanks latte! slowly but surely color is definitely comin back.

:D

Couldn't resist

Pictures look really good.

pffft! now i wanna know what it said before you edited. :lol:

SouthFlorida_Tron

Everytime I look over this thread I cringe thinking if I only took the $1000 I spent on my 14 gal cube, lights, pumps etc and got a cad setup...

Are u happy with the setup?

Came with tank, cabinet, sump, plumbing, pumps, skimmer, and lights right?

squirrelieygrrrl
Everytime I look over this thread I cringe thinking if I only took the $1000 I spent on my 14 gal cube, lights, pumps etc and got a cad setup...

Are u happy with the setup?

Came with tank, cabinet, sump, plumbing, pumps, skimmer, and lights right?

yeesh thats steep for a bc14. i can understand the cringing.

mostly happy, it has its caveats.

the 'upgraded' plumbing kit is more trouble than its worth, i just had to replace the return bulkhead today.

the overflow is a tad on the bulky side, wish i would have had eddie make it an external overflow with dual outputs.

imo the stand is also junk, i had to do some modification to the shelf to get the plumbing to work, i also drilled two more holes for wires and lines at sump height. thats not even the most irritating part, the veneer is starting to peel off on the base panel on the bottom. if i were able to do it again i would have made my own stand and saved $200. probably offest the cost of having the ext overflow put in.

the sump is meh as well, as im sure youve read from my responses to others. it dosnt hold enough water due to the baffle layout, the trickle chamber is useless, the fuge is too small and the flow through it is too low. finally the most irritating part about the sump is that the return chambers intake baffle is too low causing too much water level fluctuation due to evap.

none of these flaws make it a deal breaker for me though, except for the stand thing. that chaps my ass.

no complaints about the skimmer and return pump.

i didnt get their lights. i opted to custom make a 250/400w mh. lumatek dual channel multi wattage ballast, and a lumenarc iii mini de 250/400w pendant. all together the lighting with bulb cost me about $550.

total set up cost including sand and rock hit me at about $2,200(+/-), and im still not done with all my equip costs. i still have 2k worth of stuff i want. ultimately no regrets so far though, caveats aside.

all that being said, long winded as i am its no 1k tank for sure. more like 4k with primo equip.

SouthFlorida_Tron

For sure, I meant 1k for me for tank, part upgrades (pumps, filter mods etc) then one AI sol which arrives next week. But def eyeing cad for my upgrade eventually!

SouthFlorida_Tron
ah ok. lulz.

i guess i misunderstood. disregard my lengthy tirade then. :P

It's All good, gave great insight... We have a tiny condo on the Beach, great view, no space, so a small AIO was my only option.... For now!

However, it didn't stop me going all out on lighting lol!(if it ever gets here!!!!!)

Archived