Coral Vue Hydros

squirrel's 40g CAD 2.0 - Stuff n Junk

squirrelieygrrrl

squirrelieygrrrl

hmmm ill have to mull it over some more....

better scape shots now that things have cleared some more. sorry for the odd angles, i was glare dodging.

DSC04558.jpg

DSC04561.jpg

DSC04563.jpg

DSC04560.jpg

DSC04564.jpg

DSC04532.jpg

like a turbo dork i keep walking up to the tank and saying "hi pretty boy". i almost sound like an old biddie talking to a parrot. :lol:

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
squirrelieygrrrl
maybe im just bias, but i think if you have the time and resources that you should keep the 16bow running, yours has been an inspiration for mine as it comes together almost to the point that i dont want to build my 22g cube and transfer it over when i move

aw thanks bob,

ive been considering, really the whole reason i set up the 40 is so that i can reduce my maintenance. the 16 has become tedious to maintain. i unno, guess thats another thing for me to mull over. im honored that my little tank inspired yours, i just checked it out and it looks really nice. its tough to think about tearing apart a love child huh?

I still say to move out that rock about 3-4 inches :P

Just kidding I would probably stick with what you have. It's looking pretty sweet and should grow in and be pretty sweet. One thing that I always notice about my scapes is that I never have as much of a sandbed as I would like. That's the hope that I have for when I rescape the 20L. I want to finally be able to have a nice big open brain of some type. Maybe a scoly when I'm not in school.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
squirrelieygrrrl

DSC04609.jpg

DSC04622.jpg

DSC04565.jpg

DSC04603.jpg

DSC04577.jpg

DSC04608.jpg

DSC04624.jpg

DSC04626.jpg

DSC04635.jpg

DSC04668.jpg

DSC04679.jpg

DSC04683.jpg

DSC04687.jpg

DSC04695.jpg

DSC04701.jpg

DSC04722.jpg

DSC04726.jpg

DSC04731.jpg

DSC04742.jpg

DSC04744.jpg

DSC04767.jpg

DSC04769.jpg

DSC04774.jpg

DSC04780.jpg

DSC04816.jpg

DSC04817.jpg

DSC04824.jpg

:happy:

squirrelieygrrrl

aw thanks every one!

i was feeling stubborn and didnt wanna show er off till it looked just right. ill try and collect my thoughts over the past couple of months and share them with you all.

also the fts isnt current. gonna have to snap a new one. every day things are coloring up more and more, not sure what changed exactly from the 16 to this but what ever it is its working (lighting?). also thar be newbies to share with you all. :D

squirrelieygrrrl

the pistol died not long before i transferred everything. my suspicion there is old age, he was about 5 when he passed. i would imagine thats a reasonable life expectancy for a pistol. hard to say how old he was when i got him but i think it was a juvenile because its markings changed quite a bit through the first couple of years. im glad i dont have him any more though, this means i can finally keep a whole slew of critters i couldnt keep while i had him.

right now in the 40 there is a coral banded, and a chit head skunk cleaner that insists on picking on my clam and lunch the clowns fins. ive been trying to catch him for weeks. little jerk. i seem to have the worst luck with shrimp. lol. i know how to pick em!

oh! and thanks squared! :D

squirrelieygrrrl

thanks!

and now.... mas!

DSC04853.jpg

DSC04886.jpg

DSC04902.jpg

DSC04859.jpg

DSC04863.jpg

DSC04866.jpg

DSC04869.jpg

DSC04872.jpg

DSC04875.jpg

DSC04876.jpg

DSC04883.jpg

DSC04908.jpg

DSC04925.jpg

DSC04928.jpg

DSC04935.jpg

DSC04923.jpg

:eek:

DSC04913.jpg

squirrelieygrrrl

thanks guys!

now if i can just get my sps coloration dialed in, ill be happy. as long as things continue on this trend that looks promising.

thoughts on stocking

gold assessor

splendid leopard wrasse

gumdrop coral croucher (if i can ever find one)

in addition to lunch the maroon, and brunch the mccoskers.

i only have a few more must get corals on my list (setosa, straberry lemonade, true yellow acro maybe a few others), then it will be grow out time and saving for my higher end equip purchases.

thoughts on the cad

the stand is junk. the veneer peeled off within the first month, ive been all hot and bothered about that. for $200 it shouldnt do that this early on in the game. ive yet to contact cadlights about that one.

i truly dislike the sump, its too small, the fuge chamber is pitiful, and the baffles going to the return chamber are too low, causing serious evap related water fluctuations. i have to get an ato. ive been topping off at least twice a day.

the mp10 works fine, i sanded off some of the foam spacer +/- 1/16th of an inch. i feel it isnt working so hard now. definitely need a second one. i noticed once i ran it past 60% it definitely seemed like it was really working hard, too hard. plus it was running a bit too noisy for my tastes. now that i have coral in the tank though there is no need to run it that high.

other than those things all in all ive been really happy.

thoughts on uncured live rock

holy friggen batman! i should have been more aware of what exactly was on those rocks before i put em in there, and i definitely should have scrubbed them first. there were these purple encrusting sponges all over a few of the rocks that died. the result was a mega cycle. :facepalm: i think if i had scrubbed the rock first it wouldnt have been an issue, but what a pita it was. i burned through about 150g of sw in 6 weeks. constant sucking of sponge bits out of the tank. ive still got some residual no3 at about 2ppm (steadily declining though) as of a few days ago.

another f tard move i made was not acclimating the rock to the light. i basically bleached all the coraline off the rocks. :doublefacepalm:

cest la vi, least im on the right track now.

Archived