SaltCritters.com

Rabid's Rimless 25G (Updated: 9-28-11)

Rabidgerbil38

Rabidgerbil38

Thanks guys, I think I picked a winner with this scape. I am a little worried though that I found my flasher sleeping out in the open last night, He usually tucks away in the rocks at night, but since there isn't really anywhere where he can get in between and I don't want him to get stressed out I've dropped in a piece of PVC for him to sleep in at night temporarily.

Now that I've gotten my 25 more or less sorted out I gotta get back to building my pico though :P It's been craving some love and a quick skim through Giga's builds is makin me wanna get my mini mangrove lagoon together.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rabidgerbil38

Today was awesome, I came home from work to find my GFI had been tripped by my halide balast. It seems like the tank had overflowed somehow (my best guess is a snail in my overflow drain) and spilled onto the ballast <_< I rinsed the ballast off in DI at about 1PPM and am gonna let it dry out for a few days. hopefully I wont need to buy a new ballast, but if I do I'm thinking lumatek. Also the tank is in the 90's again temp wise because I have no AC and its breaking 100 in north SD.. I need a chiller

Oh yeah I've had to remove the large rock for the last few days to dry out because I found multiple aiptasia on it and don't want to take any chances. I feel like they are coming from the sand or something because everything else was inspected for the buggers and I didn't see any... Also I'm seeing quite a bit of cyano on the sand bed, probably as a result of the move stirring things up. Some new sand may be in order, or maybe a thorough rinsing down at the NSW spigot If I can figure out how to get it out.

• 2 weeks later...

So since I didn't want the cyano outbreak to kill all my coral I decided to remove the rock and put up a couple levels of egg-crate until I have time to deal with my sand issue

img1212.jpg

I also finnaly had some time to organize my new fish closet and love how easy it is to do things now that all my stuff is organized :P

img1513.jpg

I also got some new coral since my last update :D

I got the green montie from a friend who couldn't keep it happy, it has been in the tank for about 3 weeks now and when I received it it was a wonderful doo doo brown.

greenmontie91811.jpg

These little guys are the same accidental acan frags from before, their doing great and are starting to gain some good color.

babyacans91811.jpg

I decided to frag my pink milli for an upcoming frag swap with the local RMAS. So far the little guy is doing great, but I only fraged it yesterday.

pinkmillifrag91811.jpg

Now for my favorite new additions:

The rainbow montie

rainbowmontie91811.jpg

and the Tri-color Valida

tricolorvalida91811.jpg

i'm stoked for my new frags, I'm hoping once they fully aclimate they grow quickly fingerscrossed

The tank it was taken from had 8 t5 bulbs over it, I don't know what wattage though I'd guess at least 200 since most fixtures around that length use 36W or higher bulbs.. He fragged it off a colony around 5" in diameter and about 8" below the waters surface, So yeah I think there definitely light lovers.

I was talking with him and he dose dose potassium, so that probably helps it maintain that dark purple and blue. I'm definitely gonna get a bottle of Brightwell's potassion and an Elos test kit to help keep up the color. But until then I'm hoping the bi-weekly NSW changes will be enough to keep K levels up.

The tank it was taken from had 8 t5 bulbs over it, I don't know what wattage though I'd guess at least 200 since most fixtures around that length use 36W or higher bulbs.. He fragged it off a colony around 5" in diameter and about 8" below the waters surface, So yeah I think there definitely light lovers.

I was talking with him and he dose dose potassium, so that probably helps it maintain that dark purple and blue. I'm definitely gonna get a bottle of Brightwell's potassion and an Elos test kit to help keep up the color. But until then I'm hoping the bi-weekly NSW changes will be enough to keep K levels up.

True.. I'm thinking of just waiting until mine grows a little larger and then selling it.. Idunno.. I feel like it's just too much hassle to keep something like that happy. I have my lights right where I want them, and everything else is happy.. :/ Iunno..

Well your tank isn't to old yet, maybe its still acclimating. My pink milli browned out pretty bad for a couple months when I first got it but now its got awesome pink highlights all over it and growing like crazy. I'm sure you got enough light with those LED's its probably just a little stressed is all.

Well your tank isn't to old yet, maybe its still acclimating. My pink milli browned out pretty bad for a couple months when I first got it but now its got awesome pink highlights all over it and growing like crazy. I'm sure you got enough light with those LED's its probably just a little stressed is all.

True.. I guess that's also possible. I don't have any plans on getting rid of it just yet though.. I mean, even though it's a little brown it's still growing, and getting really nice polyp extension. So, I'll keep it as happy as I can for now. :)

Just a quick update my pink milli has really been doin great lately and is really starting to get some awesome color.

upload.jpg

This ones a lottle blurry, but the colors still there :happy:

uploas2.jpg

I'm starting to dose brightwells amino acids and trace elements as well since I feel like it may help in the nutrient poor enviornment.

Just a quick update my pink milli has really been doin great lately and is really starting to get some awesome color.

upload.jpg

This ones a lottle blurry, but the colors still there :happy:

uploas2.jpg

I'm starting to dose brightwells amino acids and trace elements as well since I feel like it may help in the nutrient poor enviornment.

Looking great!

Watch out on that amino acid stuff, you're basically just adding P04 to your water. Just feed your fishes more to help feed the corals.

Thanks for the tip on the amino's. I am aware a lot of functional amino's do contain phosphate groups from their synthesis with ATP, but I figured it would be worth a try to see how it affects the tank. Really I would like to add one more fish to the tank, but I'm still deciding as to what it will be.

I about 50/50 for those shots, when it's just halide I've noticed a lot less color from the milli. I figure the yellows and reds are what's bringing out the color so much more.

I went to a local club meeting/ frag swap last weekend, and came home with a few new goodies.

First a sweet sticker with the club logo on it

ncrmassticker.jpg

The first frag is what I think is ORA blue chalice (correct me if I'm wrong)

bluechalice.jpg

Some blue kiss polyps

bluekiss.jpg

and my personal favorite, the hollywood stunner B)

hollywoodstunner.jpg

now for some updates:

Rainbow montie

rainbowmontie.jpg

The tri-color valida thats been getting a nice blueish purple tone on the tips, but losing the green towards the base

tricolorvaldia.jpg

A special little shot of some what I think are acontia filaments (not sure) from my pink milli that got knocked up against the glass

pinkmillimesinentalfilaments.jpg

NOM NOM NOM

And a FTS of the temporary scape I got until I come up with something better

fts92811.jpg

Nice pics :) I like your new additions! Do you plan on adding more rock or are you going for a very minimalist scape?

I do like the minimalist look because of all the free space for the fish to swim. I need to figure out something better for my wrasse though since he likes to sleep in the rocks at night, but there isint any good place for him right now

dude sweet tank!

whats the model skimmer your using?

Thanks, I'm using the reef octopus 4 I believe. It's their smallest in-sump model with the bubble plate, I kinda wish I had gone with the recirculating model though since I have no way to feed my biopellet reactor into the skimmer..

Rabidgerbil38

Thanks I have noticed a little loss of color on the polyps recently, but it is growing nicely and starting to encrust on the rock where I placed it B)

• 4 months later...

Archived