Top Shelf Aquatics

Rabid's Rimless 25G (Updated: 9-28-11)

Rabidgerbil38

Rabidgerbil38

So I got some good news, the monti cap that I was starting to think was lost has colored up immensely in the last couple weeks. Also it has begun to regrow over the previously bleached center portion

5636685016_0cfa25f30b_z.jpg

Untitled by theAsteroidBlues, on Flickr

and a top shot

5636684380_f1f32e296f_z.jpg

Also I glued down that little Zoa colony to a piece of live rock. I also found a snail in the middle of the colony that looked like a brown sundial which was removed immediately, but tore the colony appart as it struggled to stay attached.

A shot of the relocated Radioactive Dragon Eyes:

5636757598_f0cfb9f9b3_z.jpg

The color on these guys is amazing

How is that little carpet doing?

Great, he's been roaming lately though. For the last week it has been soaking up the LED goodness up next to the pink acro frag, which has been worrying me to say the least :unsure:

Shots just after dinner, so he's all full and happy:

5636240647_6272b696fc_z.jpg

5636240917_0eb77f7a08_z.jpg

5636241001_f01193e0af_z.jpg

Any pictures of your sump? Tank looks good!

you ask, and you shall recive.

A shot of the open cabinet:

5636175385_ed893ca07e_z.jpg

The plumbing and half of the wiring:

5636175161_af7b6640db_z.jpg

A couple shots without the lid (Its real messy in there, but after my trip to Europe in June I plan on redoing the whole thing with a DIY acrylic sump):

5636753892_35c4924ac9_z.jpg

5636753588_ed7dc5b681_z.jpg

5636179669_6004318e96_z.jpg

Skimmer hard at work :D

Also I just wanted to put up a shot of the awesome lid for my skimmer cup:

5636255789_e3312b8d6a_z.jpg

skimmer top by theAsteroidBlues, on Flickr

I really love the logo that they chose :P

Hope that covered it, let me know if you got any questions.

Oh and my buddy's got a rebel t1i I hope to get a hold of soon to take some truly awesome shots, so more to come soon.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rabidgerbil38

So I made a day trip to San Diego today to check out what some of the LFS's got around town. After a few stops I found a nice healthy Mccoskers flasher wrasse for the great price of $24! After watching the little fella feed I bought him n took him home. After a 15 min of floating in tank, and another 30 with holes in the bag to exchange water I let the little guy go. As expected the wrasse immediately went to the closest rockwork and hid for about an hour. After he got a little more comfortable he began swimming freely, but I noticed that the dottyback almost immediately began to harass my new prized vertebrate..

So it looks like the dottyback is on it's way out, I've already relocated the evil sucker to my sump untill I decide what will replace him. I've been thinking about turning the dottyback and both my ocellaris in for some credit and get a black ocellaris and misbar black ocellaris since my new wrasse is adding quite a bit to the orange and red of the tank. I also really like the female leopard wrasse's so we'll see what happens.

Rabidgerbil38

Yea, It was pretty easy. If you look on YouTube there's a bunch of people that show you exactly how to do it. The kind people at glass-holes hooked up the drill bits, and sone candy too :)

• 2 weeks later...
Rabidgerbil38

Took in that psudochromis today and came back with a beautiful new specimen from about 100 miles south, a blue spot jawfish :D The little guy is settling in well, and even picked off some scraps from my daily acan feeding. I'm going to get some more sand for the little guy, but for now I piled some rubble rock and sand over a PVC elbow in hopes that he might claim it untill I have a more suitable substrate from him to be burrowing in. Pics are overdue, so hopefully I'll get some in over the weekend.

Rabidgerbil38

Pictures of my new fish are in!

First a couple of the BSJF

5707630068_64722dfa83_z.jpg

5707065151_26528a5433_z.jpg

I'm really hoping this guy will burrow in soon, since he's stopped eating and people tend to report big appetites after they build a home.

And the flasher wrasse in his flashing glory:

5707629390_502d5df917_z.jpg

The wrasse is a beautiful addition, and very lively too!

Rabidgerbil38

Noticed some polyp extension on the hawkins when I came home from school today, usualy this only happens at night so i decided to snap a shot of the rare event.

this was taken just after cleaning my return pump filter so thats why a little cheato got in the DT, the cheato gives a good size reference though so I left it in the shot

5708047621_71b47406d2_z.jpg

by theAsteroidBlues

and a shot focused on the monti in back

5708090931_cd70494a6a_z.jpg

by theAsteroidBlues

The hawkins fell last week(my best guess is a snail), and I glued down as many pieces as I could onto the frag plug the milli came on. All but one have seemed to survive, and are retaining color.

5708046433_d58103aa7b_z.jpg

by theAsteroidBlues

the corals seem to be settling in well, and I've gotten some plating growth from the milli since it was relocated from the frag plug, but it is on the dark side of the coral so I cant seem to get a decent picture with my phone.

Rabidgerbil38

Bad news guys, I lost the little guy after a week. I thought I was in the clear since he was eating the day before and even excavating a little here and there, but yesterday he began to exhibit the classic BSJF disease symptoms. First I found him out in the open laying on his side with labored breathing. After about an hour the front portion of the fish started to become pale. After 12 hours I decided it was best to put him out of his misery, as he hadn't moved in about 6 hours, was completely upside down, breathing heavy and by now slowly, and nearly completely white.

My two theory's as to why this may have happened are:

1) My bacteria driven system may have infected the little guy with something he was not able to combat (I feel its not very likely however, as he was doing well up until the day of his death)

2) Something in my substrate caused the dreaded disease. I'm thinking that the Fiji pink Ive used to may be an inadequate substrate for this species, and am thinking of traveling to the Sea of Cortez some time before I attempt to keep this species again so I can study the substrate further. Maybe I'll take a bucket with me to bring some back for a more dedicated setup.

In any case, it would seem I am not quite ready to care for this beautiful and interesting jaw fish. Hopefully with a more dedicated setup I will have more luck in the future

RIP Dr Jekyll :tears:

Rabidgerbil38

Their just PVC and some strainers, its essentially a herbie overflow. The two pipes are kept at different hights. The lower of the two is kept in a siphon and is controlled with a gate valve. Very simple to make, and dead silent once tuned in.

• 2 months later...
Rabidgerbil38

I know I've had a lapse in updates lately, but for good reason. I nearly had a tank crash while I was away in Europe, so I've been cleaning up the mess since then, but everything's starting to look good again so I will update soon. I lost the Hawkins torch and birdsnest in the crash, and the brown milli has yet to extend polyps but still has color. Two things are gonna happen befor my update however,

1) I'm picking up a new T3i Saturday, and think it would be stupid to waist time tryin to shoot decent Photos with my phone anymore :P

2) I'm moving into my dads house and helping him renovate his place so I am going to be moving the tank and after will give a full update with some stellar 18mp CMOS photos!

For now I'll just tease you guys with words, I have done some purchasing since the crash and got a beautiful rose bubbletip, sweet pink milli colony, a beautiful tri-colored trachophylia (which was a wonderful gift from my girl), and some sweet macros from keydiver.

Hold tight guys photos are coming soon!

Rabidgerbil38

So I got my T3i today :wuv: and I've been shooting with it all day. So far my only real gripe is the auto focus seems to be a bit off, but I prefer manual focus for most shots anyways :P Anyways I couldn't help but shoot my tank and so I'll give a short sweet photo update for all of you before I tear the tank down and move it to its new location tomorrow. Oh and all these are shot under a 14k pheonix bulb I'm using until I move and finish redoing my LED fixture with some 420nm's I ordered from LEDgroupbuy :happy:

For starters heres a FTS:

6063819955_3305405d36_z.jpg

IMG_0089 by theAsteroidBlues, on Flickr

Some shots of the vertebrates:

6064389462_2c1a954f3e_z.jpg

IMG_0177 by theAsteroidBlues, on Flickr

This ones got a bonus shot of the new Trachyphyllia

6064392630_0d033934b5_z.jpg

IMG_0217 by theAsteroidBlues, on Flickr

This wrasse is by far my favorite member of the tank, I love his vibrant colors

6064390972_988e2745b7_z.jpg

IMG_0211 by theAsteroidBlues, on Flickr

Now for the Inverts starting with the new bubble tip:

6063840117_e9ec40e5c9_z.jpg

IMG_0176 by theAsteroidBlues, on Flickr

I really like this guy because of the little bit of green on the bottom of its tentacles

The new pink milli

6063830103_8f857148cc_z.jpg

IMG_0117 by theAsteroidBlues, on Flickr

Zoa's

6064379426_1ffd093abf_z.jpg

IMG_0148 by theAsteroidBlues, on Flickr

and my acan's

6064383180_53537a5c0d_z.jpg

IMG_0163 by theAsteroidBlues, on Flickr

the monty cap, which is making a comeback after the crash

6064365830_c91694697c_z.jpg

IMG_0088 by theAsteroidBlues, on Flickr

and the brown milli, since the crash I haven't seen any PE but I'm hoping it makes a comeback

6063821945_61c421ac57_z.jpg

IMG_0092 by theAsteroidBlues, on Flickr

Macros:

6064374272_20dcf3ce6e_z.jpg

IMG_0100 by theAsteroidBlues, on Flickr

6064371332_7506f776f8_z.jpg

IMG_0096 by theAsteroidBlues, on Flickr

these are some accidental acan frags from when I moved my other colony that seem to be doing great, and growing some mouths so I can feed them soon :happy:

6064381100_2538dc5acd_z.jpg

IMG_0159 by theAsteroidBlues, on Flickr

and some shots of some cool sponges that have been growing in my tank forever now

6064384732_ae82021110_z.jpg

IMG_0168 by theAsteroidBlues, on Flickr

6063838423_b1c95f820e_z.jpg

IMG_0169 by theAsteroidBlues, on Flickr

if all this eye candy hasn't been enough for you I tried out the 30fps 1080p video on my new camera, you'll have to excuse the focus as I couldn't get it to autofocus and had to switch it over to manual. Just ignore the first blurry part, and dont forget to turn on the HD! MY FIRST VIDEO

Let me know what you think

Rabidgerbil38

I got everything moved to its new location, and so far everyone seems to have made the journey just fine. I will be monitoring everything with a close eye as I prepare a new scape for the tank with the dry rock i received a couple weeks ago.

Rabidgerbil38

Good and bad news this time. The bad news is my favorite little nem got chewed up a few days ago.. I guess he detached from his rock for some reason and ended up getting chewed up by my mp10 :tears:

img0336.jpg

rip little buddy

now for the good news, I finally got time to put a simple aquascape together :happy: and here it is

img0741.jpg

img0742.jpg

img0744.jpg

img0745.jpg

img0746.jpg

I'm really diggin the new scape, and I'm hoping no aiptasia made it to the display. Only time will tell though. Its a little weird looking at such a steril enviroment with all the white but with a little luck in a few months I should start getting some purple on these rocks fingerscrossed Let me know what you guys think about the scape, I'd like to hear some feedback.

Rabidgerbil38

Thanks Joel, I love the natural light as well. My corals seem to love it more though :D I've started having temp problems lately though since its like 85 daily and the direct sun and halide are just exasperating the problem

Rabidgerbil38

It's this frosting stuff you can get at most hardware stores. It applys like window tint with some liquid and a squeegee. It makes a nice background in my opinion, but I've had some troublewith it bubbling around one of my bulkheads though.

Archived