Top Shelf Aquatics

BC29 - Silo's tank log - New LED lighting

Silo

My bits from inTank arrived today:

toys.jpg

I filled the tank and got a few pounds of live rock and sand to get things going:

begin.jpg

I replumbed the bulkhead to 1/2" ID pipe, hooked the Rio 6HF to it and YUCK! man that is

the loudest pump I have ever used!!

Needless to say I have taken it back out.... I'll swing by the LFS tomorrow and grab a MJ1200

I have the stock pump in there now, it does not have enough power to drive the Hudor and

create enough flow.

plumbing.jpg

Anyhow, I have a little "life" on the rock I got:

growth.jpg

Here's the room:

room.jpg

Anyone want a 6HF?? $10 plus shipping and 3% PayPal and it's yours.

Roald.

Sorry to hear about the pump I just got one for my bc29 and I cant even hear the thing running.

Thanks for the info on the pump, maybe I should just return it for another?

It started out great, but within 5 min it was doing the "RRRRRrrrrrr" thing.

I pulled it apart and checked it out. The little "flap" is nice and loose and there appears

to be nothing else wrong.... not like it has lots of moving parts ;-)

Nice scape, make sure and leave some spots open caus most of the time, when you find a peice that you want, it usually comes on a larger rock ... keep up the good work

Nice start up. After just a few weeks, my Hydor Flo started popping off the return outlet. Ended up crazy gluing the adapter to my return outlet, still can pop off the unit for cleaning. I have a NC28 so your return outlet may have a tighter fit.

what type of rock are you using? Tank looks great BTW

Thanks, it's a mix of Fiji and Vanuatu. I need at least double of whats in there now... but

budget says I have to wait till next Friday :)

Good start! I'm liking the arches in your rock work. Is that caulerpa growing on the left side?

Thanks, I'm trying to keep the rock off the sand and create holes for flow.

the Vanuatu rock makes great caves. Still got a lot more to go in there so the layout might change

a bit as i get hopefully better pieces.

Yes it is caulp, I know it can get out of control, but the cycle is still young, so I'm using it as a Nitrate

detector, the moment it looks like it's thinking about growing, I'll pull it out.

it's nice if you maintain it, but tends to go sexual too easily.

Nice scape, make sure and leave some spots open caus most of the time, when you find a peice that you want, it usually comes on a larger rock ... keep up the good work

Thanks a lot. Yeah, I agree, the rockwork usually changes to accomodate nicer peices as they

come along, part of the fun. :) it'll be a lot easier in this little tank though.

The Rio 6HF is known to be crap and very hit and miss.

After talking to few folks about it, i agree. I got a MJ1200 last night. i'll plumb it in this weekend

looking good so far and nice placement in the room too. these are always a work in progress so your on the right track. looking forward to updates

Thanks man, I'm looking forward to it. I added a few BL Hermits last night. They should servive

the beating. I just had to have something to look at :)

I replumbed the bulkhead to 1/2" ID pipe, hooked the Rio 6HF to it and YUCK! man that is

the loudest pump I have ever used!!

Needless to say I have taken it back out.... I'll swing by the LFS tomorrow and grab a MJ1200

I have the stock pump in there now, it does not have enough power to drive the Hudor and

create enough flow.

Anyone want a 6HF?? $10 plus shipping and 3% PayPal and it's yours.

Roald.

For $10, ....Keep it to mix up your new salt water, when you are ready to fill the tank back up, attach 8 ft of hose to the outlet and pump the water out of your bucket into the tank. Just my $.02 but that is how I do it and works great.

For $10, ....Keep it to mix up your new salt water, when you are ready to fill the tank back up, attach 8 ft of hose to the outlet and pump the water out of your bucket into the tank. Just my $.02 but that is how I do it and works great.

You're right, I'll do just that. Thanks.

Let me know how the maxi does;) Id like to know if you get any temp rise from it?? Your Tanks looking great.

Thanks, temps is up 2 degrees, but the room temp is up 4 deg too so its hard to tell.

I'll leave the back open and see if it drops a bit.

I added this info here, just to keep it all in one place.

As things progress I'll just keep adding to this thread.

I replaced the stock pump with a 6HF, which turned out to be very noisy.

I then got a MJ1200 from my LFS and installed that, nice and quite.

However the flow through the Hydor did not improve as much as I'd hoped

so I re-plumbed the bulkhead to 1/2" ID pipe and also removed the stock elbow

joint and fit 5/8" tube directly to the bulkhead. Now it's moving sand around the tank :D

plumbing1.jpg

shorter.jpg

Here's a shot of the InTank Media baskets in place. There are great and and well worth it.

mediabasket.jpg

Its day 9 and the water is not perfect yet, but over the hump, good enough to add this :o

P1030997.jpg

He went in last night and is really friendly, he ate well this morning.

I added this info here, just to keep it all in one place.

As things progress I'll just keep adding to this thread.

I replaced the stock pump with a 6HF, which turned out to be very noisy.

I then got a MJ1200 from my LFS and installed that, nice and quite.

However the flow through the Hydor did not improve as much as I'd hoped

so I re-plumbed the bulkhead to 1/2" ID pipe and also removed the stock elbow

joint and fit 5/8" tube directly to the bulkhead. Now it's moving sand around the tank :D

plumbing1.jpg

shorter.jpg

Here's a shot of the InTank Media baskets in place. There are great and and well worth it.

mediabasket.jpg

Its day 9 and the water is not perfect yet, but over the hump, good enough to add this :o

P1030997.jpg

He went in last night and is really friendly, he ate well this morning.

Everything is looking good. Sorry I can't tell from the pic, but what kind of fish is that?

Everything is looking good. Sorry I can't tell from the pic, but what kind of fish is that?

Thanks, its a type of bi-color blenny sometimes called a Flame tailed blenny.

It's just a black blenny with a yellow tail.

He loves hair algae and has a great personality. If i sit on the sofa next to the tank, he will

always come and sit against the glass closest to me.... he likes to watch TV :)

I've been making progress with the cube, heres some pics:

rightrock.jpg

I added this rock this afternoon:

frontrock.jpg

I added the clowns last week also:

clowns.jpg

This was the first "combo" rock I added a few days ago, it's really happy:

sideview.jpg

Front view:

front.jpg

I love this thing :D

coming along very nicely awesome growth on the rocks, simply beautiful!!

Thanks, the truth is they were bought pretty much the way they are.

The trick now is to keep them growing. :happy:

Archived