Innovative Marine Aquariums

DIY 5 Gallon

MKramer

It's not much yet, but attached is a picture of the glass 5 gallon I put together an hour ago.

I realized over the weekend that I had silicone (yes, 100% non-toxic), deglosser, and emory cloth sititng in the garage from some old car projects. All I really needed to make an aquarium was the glass. So I bought a 24x30x1/8 sheet from my HW store, and had them cut it (free) to:

3 - 12x10

2 - 10x9.75

So, total cost to me was $5.96, including tax.

Acetone would have been a better cleaner than deglosser, especially because I was working inside (in the kitchen, next to the oven and its pilot light), but hey, I had the deglosser. Who cares if its fumes don't vacate well, and are extremely flammable.

A couple more shots are available at:

http://ubermensch.org/reef/photos/diy5

But they all pretty much look alike! As I get the tape off it and start filling it and adding the other DIY items I have in mind, I'll add more pictures.

thats cool.. is the glass tempered or can it be drilled? im thinking of making a custom tank myself since i have alot of the stuff lying around. you just used normal aquarium silicon? anyhow it looks good.

It is untemptered glass, so it's drillable. If I were going to make a larger one, it might be worth considering tempered glass. But it's just not as easy, or cheap, to work with. Odds are you'd have to pay to get it cut. Could still be worth it for the bottom of a large tank or something, though.

I used DAP 100% Silicon, which does actually say "for Aquariums" on the tube.

I just re-seamed the silicon last night, so the water test waits until tomorrow. We'll see how well I did.

If this works, then it's time to get more adventurous in making something bigger.

that is really cool. if i do it im going to make sure the tank is no bigger than 20 gallons so i dont htink i will need it to be tempered..well maybe just the base. are you going to put some kind of molding on the tank to help with the pressure or will the silicon do all the work?

Look ma, no leaks! (yet)

A little over 4.5g of water in there... I'm going to leave it overnight. If the paper towels are still dry in the morning, I'll actually call this a success.

SLO,

Tempered glass is expensive and hard to work with. It would help prevent against glass-breakage, but as long as you select the right thickness glass, leaks are going to be more likely than breakage.

I would think tempered is really only worthwhile for very large aquariums. For anything up to say, 50 gallons, 1/4" glass is more than enough. For piece of mind, you could silicon a 1-2" strip across the middle fo the top for added rigidity, if you were in the 40-50 range.

If you want, I can show you how to do the pressure calculations so you can determine what thickness glass you'll need for a certain dimension tank. I worked it out a while ago and have it in one of my notebooks around here....

As for a molding of any sort, not really. The silicon is damn strong stuff. Really, the cheap plastic molding they put around typical aquariums isn't worth squat. If the silicone decided to let go, the plastic would just bust apart. It's more there to prevent chipping and side-impacts (which can easily lead to shattering).

I am going to make a base and hood for it that cover the edges, but I don't expect them to provide any structural support. Although I will use a rubber mat or something of the sort, in the base for under the aquarium. That way the weight load on the glass should be well-distributed. I'd hate for a funny shaped spot on the wood to cause all the weight to go primarily in the center of the glass or something.

More pics as I finish (and start, but not necessarilly in that order) the base and hood.

Matthew

Wow Matthew, good job! Now I'm inspired to get busy on my refuge. It's going to be 10x12x14. I need it drilled too and that's what I'm chicken about. I guess the worst that will happen is I have to buy a coulpe of pieces of glass till I get it right.

Thanks liz. After the completion of this project, Jenny wants me to build her a tall 55g for a freshwater planted aquarium. I don't tihnk she had 100% complete faith in my ability before this. For that matter, neither did I.

Are you drilling it yourself, or having it done? I couldn't find the right bits for glass-drilling the one time I looked.

Matthew, I plan on trying to drill it myself (I think). Harbor Freight is suppose to carry one inch diamond hole saws for fairly cheap. My local store is trying to hunt one up for me. They also have diamond drum sander bits to enlarge the holes. I'm going to price having the holes drilled at the glass shop. I hear prices vary from inexpensive to "NO way", so I'll probably check a couple of shops.

Oh, and as for the slightly unorthodox shape, I've found that I really prefer to aquascape tanks with a good front-to-back depth. If they're too narrow, you just end up with a wall of liverock and really difficult coral palcement.

Since this will be a no-fish tank, I'm going for more of a lagon-shape aquascaping. High and shelved in the back, with arms of rock coming out along each side. It gives nice current zones that way.

To visualize the idea a little better:

Whatever you end up doing liz, I'd really appreciate if you let me know. I really want to do some drilling on the 55 project, and am not sure what the easiest way to go about it will be.

Yeah, once I have everything done (most likely tomorrow, it needs a second coat of paint), I'm going to put together a detailed page on every part of it.

Which isn't all that detailed, because it had to be extremely easy if I was going to make it work. :)

Matthew

Thanks.

And don't forget cheap. Completed tank, base, and hood only hurt me $20. And while the woodworking obviosuly isn't my strongpoint, the auarium itself turned out really top-notch.

Will finish painting tonight, then I can post the final pictures (and procedure).

Matthew

very nice matt..that is so cool..i am thinking about builting myself a little 5 or 10 gallon cube tank with "attached refugium" so no more hang on stuffs..hahaha..i am going to draw out the schems tonight..and hopefully get started this weekend.. the only problems is that i don't have as much tool as you guys do..i am sure Liz knows this..i only have a little power screw driver and a couple of butcher knifes...hahahha...but hey..i am trying to do my best..either that or i really should go get me some real tools...but again..i am always on a low budget..(kinda) hahahha...

Originally posted by MKramer

And while the woodworking obviosuly isn't my strongpoint

Tell me about it! I'm able to get the wood cut and routed but that's about it. I lack the assembly tools. :o You should of seen me assembling the nano's peices using weights, end tables, duct tape so it would stay together while the glue was drying. I sure would love to have a bisket cutter or whatever its called and clamps. I tried drilling holes and using wooden dowls and had a heck of a time matching the holes up where the outside was still flush.

Very nice Matthew!

What kind of lights are you planning on using and what are you going to stock it with? I find it very rewarding to build stuff myself!

Since a few people have asked how I made everything, I've started "writing" it all down. I've got a page for the tank itself now, at:

http://ubermensch.org/reef/diy5/tank

It'll be a little while before I get to the hood and base, though. Probably this weekend.

As for the "proper tools," I discovered that I have none of the usual tools. Somehow I just have boxes full of tools i nthe garage that can really only be used on cars.

I borrowed a hammer and a woodsaw., and bought 3 $0.50 foam paint applicators. Those were the ONLY tools I used for the hood and base. For the aquarium itself, hardly any tools are necessary. $0.30 sheet of silicone carbine paper and that's about it. Home Depot cut the glass for me.

Liz,

Three 13W PCs are going into the hood. I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to stock it with. I have a few ideas, but if I said them aloud here, I'd probably be flogged and banished. Doesn't mean I don't think I can pull it off, though. I'm just going to withhold until I know exactly what I'm doing, so I don't get unnecessary punishment. :)

I'm very happy with the 3x13 on my 5. I have an odd mix of bulbs, all from AHS. A 6400, a dark blue, and a 50/50.

Hey I'm into flogging ;), PM me with your plans and I'll let you know privately if you deserve it.

So sillicone alone is strong enough to hold the water in and the glass together? I was studying my stoare-bought tank and noticed the top and bottom plastic linings probably added a bit of strength to the tank.

Archived