inTank Media Baskets

Bridgelux 1203 vs Cree XPG 7up

dipanp

I want to swap out one of three Cree 7up cool white R5 bin XPG boards on my DIY fixtures (to be built) with neutral white per the Aesthetics thread. Rather than spend significant bucks (~$50 per board) on a Cree replacement, could I get away with a neutral white Bridgelux N1203? These are around $26 at Newark.

The XP-G's watt for watt will be brighter than the Bridgelux. At 1000mA, a 7up XP-G will produce about 2400lm, while the 1203 at the same current is about 1400lm. Granted, the wattage is very much different.

seems like it would, multi star boards of the same color arent really that useful imo

I have to disagree. For my purpose at least, they are much easier to wire :)

At 1000mA, a 7up XP-G will produce about 2400lm,

At least according to charts I'm seeing 4100k XP-Gs ( assuming you can find the top bins) aren't nearly this efficient and it's closer than you think. Neutral XP-Gs take about a 30% hit over cools, and they don't scale nearly as well at higher currents. Plus, Cree, like Luxeon has been sneaky and throwing in low CRI versions that are brighter simply because they aren't wasting as much energy producing amber. The Bridgelux is a full CRI emitter, which isn't fair to compare to a 70CRI Rebel or Cree that's chopping spectra to yield higher efficiency. B) I've bickered this so many time over at Candlepower I've given up.

4100k, XP-Gs with a CRI at least 80CRI are around 220lumens at an amp from the charts I've seen. 7x that is a it brighter than the Bridgelux, but not much. The Bridgeluc will likely cost 1/2 as much, but still not be as efficient. A 7-up XPG board using the ANSI / low CRI XPG neutrals will be quite brighter.

If you have links to XPG charts showing higher efficiency I'd love to see them. Cree has a Bridgelux competitior in the loop, but I haven't see it although Cutter has a page for them.

I might be able to use this. Thanks guys. Next important thing is reflectors/optics. I'm planning on trying 25 and 40 degree reflectors on most of the primary light sources (cool white XPG, royal blue and blue XPE), but will probably mount the fixture high and use 25 degree. Anything available in 25 to 40 degree range?

Saw this at digikey, it says for 1200 series, but not specifically listing the N1203 emitter:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch...ame=711-1083-ND

CA11183_BROOKE-W.jpg

Also, I could have sworn I saw a thread on a high power fixture that Clive built and possibly testing for nanotuners using four of these emitters and surrounded by RB's. For the life of me I can't find that thread. I tried searching for "bridgelux" but couldn't find it. Is it still around?

Those are the same. Just remember that the stated angle is only half the emission angle. The 25 degree reflectors I used are actually 50 degrees.

Those are the same. Just remember that the stated angle is only half the emission angle. The 25 degree reflectors I used are actually 50 degrees.

Thanks Clive ...

Are Ledil the only ones that do that? Hope so ...

Yeah, they are the only manufacturer that does this. Not sure why. Always check the datasheets though, as there might be some other anomalies out there.

Archived