ReefCleaners.org

Ideas for a Philippine reef tank

mollylope

I have a 35L tank that I have been wanting to do something with. Through research I found that the Philippine have very diverse coral reefs around its shores. I am interested in trying to get it spot on; natural looking light, fish of the region, and corals that would be found there.

I'm using the Steinhart Aquarium Philippines reef for inspiration:

usca43633.jpeg

(obviously I'd be going for a much MUCH smaller version...)

Diving photos of reefs (that are still alive) in the Philippines are great as well:

coral_reef_florida.JPG

Bohol-Coral-Reefs.jpg

Tubbataha-Reef-Philippines.jpg

I enjoy the pops of color coming from certain coral & fish, rather than the unnatural rainbow vomiting look that many reef keepers have.

The Steinhart Aquarium has an awesome stock list on the site. From it and others I have a basic idea of the live stock and coral I'd like:

-one ocellaris or clark clowns

-three or four threadfin cardinal (love the idea of a school)

-possibly a mandarin goby (after tank is very well established)

(something else but I dunno what quite yet)

-Harlequin shrimp

-some Pacific nerites snails

-Various staghorn coral

-Starburt polyp

-Anthelia

-Candy cane coral

-Sea fan (maybe, but I dont think the tank is big enough)

-zoas

I would love to get things like cactus coral, carpet anemone, and sea fans to really get the look I want, but 35 gallons is not really large enough and as a poor college kid, I cant really afford to go bigger.

I would love any suggestions as to livestock; coral, fish, invertebrates that would fit in a Philippines reef tank. I also am wondering what rock/sand type would be best.

As far as equipment goes I am going to install a retrofit kit into the hood of the aquarium when I have the cash money, and plan on using T5 bulbs. I want the coral to be vibrant and healthy without giving them the unnatural neon look. For filtration I have a refugium that came with the tank, and only need to get a skimmer of sorts. I will also be buying pumps for flow. Putting in all the equipment will be interesting, as I've never really 'built' an aquarium.

Tell me what you think! I hope to be getting it all together by may, this is just pre-planning.

-M

animalmaster6

I think this is an awesome idea. Keep looking at inspiration and all the sudden something will pop up into your thread that will be a brilliant idea. Looks like you already have a plan. :)

• 2 months later...

I like the idea! , a tank based on Cebu would be awesome!

Here are some organisms that I know of from that region, (ones that are small and stay small)

Two Spot Bimaculatus Blenny

Bumble Bee Bongo Shrimp

White Cap Goby

Griessingei Goby

Red Spotted Goby

Red Striped Goby

:happy:

Archived