Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

SC Coastal "Pest" Anemone Tank

Monochrome5

Monochrome5

Uh-oh... I'm having the urge to add a fish to this tank... Or at least something that moves hehe. Thoughts? (Keep in mind I want to keep this local). Maybe a starfish... there have been hundreds on the beach lately thanks to the "super moon".

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
brandolando4

Would a starfish have enough food in your tank? Also I have no idea what is native to your area, but would a clown goby or eviota goby get eaten by ur nems??

or how about some shrimps, or a tiny urchin?

Monochrome5
Kyle! There is a marine bio question in the general discussion by Dasani. I''m sure you can help :)

I thought I saw the Fish-signal in the sky. I left him a message :)

A native crab would be neat; the kind of nasty bugger that usually gets flushed. I have one of those in my sump that I'd like to make a biotope for

Monochrome5
You decide on what you adding yet??

Well today in lab we had these awesome tunicates. They're also considered "pests" and "fouling species" because they coat docks and moorings in the harbor. They have this wicked filtering behavior that can be mesmerizing to watch, not to mention they're almost completely transparent (which makes them fun to look at).

20090317164107.jpg

If I get a chance to dive the harbor wavebreak I can pick up some of these (which are much cooler looking):

BluebellTunicate.jpg

I'm also going to get some local sea stars... and hopefully that basket star from you! We have basket stars around here, but they're super rare and would be great in this tank picking off little bits of food scraps from the nem feedings.

And, if I can, some local box crabs or mini gorilla crabs. We have some really cool leopard print ones around here.

Monochrome5
what will the stars eat??? i want a sea star soooo bad!!

The little brittles around here are detritovores (as are most brittle stars). Most graze. Some eat clams/bivalves. They can be temperamental.

A goby shrimp pair would rock. I don't know much about them... but I know someone who does! Animalmaster... this is your cue!

brandolando4

oo when you said sea star, i thought you meant one that wasnt like a brittle star!!

LOl

What goby would you use. I want a shrimp goby for my tank but thought it would outgrow the tank;(

Let me know please!!

Monochrome5
oo when you said sea star, i thought you meant one that wasnt like a brittle star!!

LOl

What goby would you use. I want a shrimp goby for my tank but thought it would outgrow the tank;(

Let me know please!!

Pop Animalmaster6 a PM. He's the N-R goby expert :)

Why dont you try to catch one of the native gobies or a feather blenny, I have had both before and they really add some life to an aquarium. Or if you get lucky you might could find a skilletfish.

animalmaster6

If it is just small anemones like Aiptasia than a shrimp goby will work. Small gobies like Trimma, Eviota, Elacatinus, they may be in trouble.

brandolando4

You didn't tell me this when i asked what goby i could get for my fluval spec!! i wanted a high fin for my spec soooooooooo bad!!

brandolando4

Really??? THat wont be too high of a bio load? I like you sir!! I would love to have both of those fishes!!

Sorry for jacking your thread Monochrome;)

Monochrome5
Why dont you try to catch one of the native gobies or a feather blenny, I have had both before and they really add some life to an aquarium. Or if you get lucky you might could find a skilletfish.

Oh man... Never even thought of a skilletfish. That's brilliant! They're all over the oysterbeds! I'm on a mission now. You, sir, are a winner :D

For shrimp gobies I recommend a goby of the genus Stonogobiops with a Candy Stripe Pistol Shrimp (Alpheus randalli)

Don't think those are native, though.

brandolando4

Those things are ugly!! I want you to get one real bad!!!! Im excited for your blue tunicates!!

Monochrome5
Those things are ugly!! I want you to get one real bad!!!! Im excited for your blue tunicates!!

They're great detritovores. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH! You know what else we get around here? Pancake batfish...

batfish.jpg

They only get about 3 inches and don't move much. I wonder if it could survive in a tank like this?

I can't believe I overlooked all these crazy bottom dwellers...

Archived