Pod Your Reef

SC Coastal "Pest" Anemone Tank

Monochrome5

What was wrong with the tank with the built in rock wall I posted above? Then just get that first fake ceramic log and use the two part epoxy stuff people use to make rock walls and cement the log vertical to the rock wall. It shouldn't be any more/less messy than when people epoxy rocks to the back wall.

Rock wall info

http://www.nano-reef.com/search/q.php?cx=p...&sa=Go#1018

Nothing... other than I'm cheap :)

Oh, and it's a bit big. Definitely a possibility, though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Monochrome5

OK so I officially have a tank for this crazy idea! Thanks to a fellow N-R member I'm now the proud owner of a Fluval Spec 2g tank. I'll post pictures as soon as it arrives.

OK so I officially have a tank for this crazy idea! Thanks to a fellow N-R member I'm now the proud owner of a Fluval Spec 2g tank. I'll post pictures as soon as it arrives.
:happy: ill be tagging along!
Monochrome5

So another question... Should I do dry base rock? Or live rock? I still may do natural wood, too. Consensus seems to be that natural wood breaks down (though slowly) in salt water, raising phosphates and the like. In a big tank I wouldn't worry about it too much, but in a 2g... hmm. Any thoughts?

Also, would refugium mud work for a substrate? I want to try and keep this tank looking natural to the harbors around Charleston, and they are generally muddy, silty bottoms.

:happy: ill be tagging along!

animalmaster6

Live rock has much more microfauna (I'm sure you know that! :lol: ) In a tank as small as this I would just go live rock.

Monochrome5

Tank is in the mail... Hurry up! Haha. Next question - sand.

Which sand?

Black - always loved the look and it will really pop some of the red nems we have around here, but I hear it gets dirty quickly

Regular (fiji pink) - I've used this sand in every salt water tank I have. Love it, but it's getting a bit tired

Grey - I know... I had never heard of it either. LFS has some (CaribSea Arag-Alive Tidal sand). It's... really grey. And neat. Anyone use this before? I think I want it.

In other news, still going to be building the pillar. Going to make it from liverock instead of wood... what would you all suggest to hold it together? Aquamend?

Monochrome5

OK I lied. I went back to check out the grey sand after not being able to find it anywhere online. Turns out it wasn't CaribSea. It was Seachem. Seachem Grey Coast Tidal sand. It's a dry sand, which I'm not too familiar with. Anyone ever use this before?

Monochrome5

Tank is here!! Going through leak testing now, so no sand or rocks or anything (plus it\'s sitting on a paper towel haha). Decided to set it up on my end table so I can stare at it while relaxing on the couch.

Barely bigger than a bottle of water...

DSC_0354.jpg

Tank is here!! Going through leak testing now, so no sand or rocks or anything (plus it's sitting on a paper towel haha). Decided to set it up on my end table so I can stare at it while relaxing on the couch.

Barely bigger than a bottle of water...

DSC_0354.jpg

The view from the couch:

DSC_0353.jpg

I see the tank made it alright :)

Monochrome5
I see the tank made it alright :)

Haha just sent you a PM letting you know it made it safe and sound :) It will be PERFECT for this project. The LED will be more than enough for the nems and the fact that the tank is high makes for a great build area. I'm going to putty some rock together to make a pseudo-pillar structure (with plenty of little mounting ledges for the nems).

Haha just sent you a PM letting you know it made it safe and sound :) It will be PERFECT for this project. The LED will be more than enough for the nems and the fact that the tank is high makes for a great build area. I'm going to putty some rock together to make a pseudo-pillar structure (with plenty of little mounting ledges for the nems).

Very kool, glad it arrived well. I can't wait to see how the finished product turns out! I'll be following along

Monochrome5

Rockscape!

So I've been toying with the idea of building a foam rock wall. Then I thought "Well... this is a two gallon tank. Why not let nature build a wall for me?" So I found this awesome piece of live rock at the LFS. The dimensions were perfect, plus it's flat on one side and makes an entirely natural rock wall. How awesome is this?

DSC_0360.jpg

DSC_0361.jpg

It even came with this neat little limpet hitchiker! They're awesome for algae cleanup, plus they're everywhere on the coast here in SC.

DSC_0368.jpg

Monochrome5

Well well well... Turns out this was an even more perfect rock than I thought!! Look what hitch-hiked on into my new anemone tank:

nemnoflash.jpg

A NEM!!! So happy! omgomgomg

Anyone know what kind it is? Definitely not an aptasia... It's got an orange hue to it that doesn't photograph very well. Perhaps an actinaria of some kind?

Anyone know what kind it is?

Your the marine biology student here. If you don't know how are we supposed to :P

Anyways I just started looking through all the picos today and I really like your idea. Following along. I want to see what "pests" can end up looking like.

Monochrome5
Your the marine biology student here. If you don't know how are we supposed to :P

Anyways I just started looking through all the picos today and I really like your idea. Following along. I want to see what "pests" can end up looking like.

Hahaha very good point. I'm afraid my current published research is on Strongylocentrotus purpuratus (california purple sea urchins) and Gambusia affinis (the eastern mosquitofish). Nothing on actinaria species :)

Glad to have another follower! I'll be picking up some various nems from the lab this week and bringing them home to the tank. We have some awesome dark water aptasia species that are milky white with red stripes. Hopefully I can grab a few of those (they're commonly found on bridge supports and shipping dock pylons).

I'll flood the thread with pictures once I get the new nems home!

Mr. Microscope
nemnoflash.jpg

A NEM!!! So happy! omgomgomg

Woohoo! This is gonna be epic! What luck on this guy. Can't wait to see how this pans out.

Subscribed.

Monochrome5

Thanks guys :)

I'm toying with the idea of building a media rack for this tank. As of right now I'm running the stock "rack" that comes with the spec (it's just a big foam pad with two compartments cut into it). I took the pellet things out but left the bag full of carbon in there. If I did a rack I'd throw a half unit of Chemi-Pure Elite on the bottom and then just some floss on top. The foam rack is just going to turn into a big nitrate factory after a while. I'd just cut some eggcrate... but I don't have any haha. I can't justify buying a sheet of it when all I need is a 2"x4.5" piece... So anyone want to send me some eggcrate? Pretty please??

Also, I'm thinking about upgrading the pump. Stock pump is rated at 39.5 gph, though it doesn't move much water. While I'm not concerned with waterflow that much (the nems won't care), I am concerned with it being powerful enough to pull water through my filter media. The tanks been running since Thursday night and I still have floating junk on top... Is there anything else that would fit in there? It's a 2"x2" space.

brandolando4

I made a media rack for mine using egg crate, I have a massive piece sitting on the floor of my dorm room I'll send u some, when I get back from spring break. Does that work for yoU?

Also are you a marine bio student? I am too!!!

Once u tale that foam pad out the water flow is ALOT BETTER!!!

Monochrome5
I made a media rack for mine using egg crate, I have a massive piece sitting on the floor of my dorm room I'll send u some, when I get back from spring break. Does that work for yoU?

Also are you a marine bio student? I am too!!!

Once u tale that foam pad out the water flow is ALOT BETTER!!!

Got some from another reefer already :) Seems just about everyone has this stuff lying around haha. Thanks though.

So the foam is what's blocking all the flow, eh? Lets get that junk out of there...

Any plans for your marine bio degree? I'm about a month and a half from my masters in Marine Bio. My forte is cnidarian, though I have published work on sea urchins and mosquitofish.

brandolando4

I have no idea what I want to do, ideally I'd like to study sharks or dolphins!! But after I started this hobby I've really gotten into coral and fish! So now I'd like to work at an aquarium or something, but it has to be in Hawaii!! I'm still an undergrad, so I've got a long time tofigure it out!! Lol, yah I've noticed the flow seemed a lot better once u got all that bulky foam out of there!! Do u like Marine bio?

Monochrome5
I have no idea what I want to do, ideally I'd like to study sharks or dolphins!! But after I started this hobby I've really gotten into coral and fish! So now I'd like to work at an aquarium or something, but it has to be in Hawaii!! I'm still an undergrad, so I've got a long time tofigure it out!! Lol, yah I've noticed the flow seemed a lot better once u got all that bulky foam out of there!! Do u like Marine bio?

Love it! Though I like all the stuff no one seems to care about :) Things like jellyfish (though within the past 4 years jellyfish research has EXPLODED), sea urchins, and squids. I'm a nut for marine invertebrates, which is part of the reason I'm designing this tank! I've got my heart set on research, though I'm also toying with the idea of becoming a professor.

Archived