inTank Media Baskets

Loud clicking coming from my tank!

diablovt750

There has been something digging out burrows from under the LR though! It piles sand halfway up my finger leather coral, and I push the sand back into the holes all the time and in a day or two it winds up right back on my leather! I though that it was maybe the powerhead pushing the sand, so I just gave up and moved the leather. It clicks every once in a while during the day time, but at night it does it constantly all night long. Are they nocturnal? Thnaks....now you guys are gonna have me staying up to look for it!

Believe it or not there are no hermit crabs or snails in my tank. Just a small emerald crab that I just bought last weekend, but the clicking has been going on long before I bought him so he is not the source.

Sounds like what my pistol shrimp does. Makes piles of sand, if I push them back it will do it again. I have never had a mantis shrimp though to see if it does that as well. My pistol shrimp is almost constantly hidden since his goby friend died in our move. Any plans on getting a goby? Maybe if you did, get a shrimp pairing one and see if it makes them come out.

If there's no snails or hermits in the tank, how can you say it's not a mantis due to "no unexplained deaths"? If there's nothing to kill, you won't find anything dead...

Even if you have looked for a mantis or pistol and haven't found it, it could still be there. Those buggers can be sneaky and small. Much smaller than you would think.

I bought some coral attached to a large piece of LR. The LR had bryopsis on it so a removed the coral and reattached it in my tank. I didn't want to waste the LR (it had a cool shape) so I soaked it in fresh water for 24hrs, put it in a bucket of salt water in the dark for 2 weeks hoping to kill off the algae. I rinsed the rock off and as I was lowering it into the tank, a 1" mantis shot out of a tiny hole on the rock and headed for my aquascape. I caught that little bugger with a net before it got away. I had never seen one that small and it survived in that hole for the entire LR cooking process.

When you move the LR it could be up in a tiny nook that you can't even see.

Because I have had snails and hermits before! The hermits always rip each other out of their shells until there is only one left (I have watched them do it before) And I dont buy any snails because I have a couple of these snail like things (looks like a snail with a small Mussel shell on their backs) and they take care of what little algea that I have. I dont now what these thing are but there are like 4-5 of them and all they eat is algea. And there are emerald crabs in there as well! If it where a mantis it would have got them by now, no? My local LFS have not recently had any hermit or snails anyways, they say it is the slow season.

hmm...i hear clicking sounds from the tank some times...but i don't think i have any shrimp because i took out rocks so many times and rescaped and i never noticed any shrimp...

You'd only find it, if you poured hydrogen peroxide all over yer rock.

:lol:

• 8 years later...
On 1/27/2011 at 12:15 AM, diablovt750 said:

At night after the lights go out in my tank there is a very loud clicking or popping noise that comes from inside. Everyone in the house hears it, so it is not just me and my girl has trouble falling asleep because of it. Does anyone else have this clicking noise and/or know what it is? Im just curious because I hear it all the time and have absolutely no clue! Thanks

if you have hermit crabs as part of your CUC it's probably one of them backing into the glass lol I have this happen occasionally.