SaltCritters.com

Loud clicking coming from my tank!

diablovt750

At night after the lights go out in my tank there is a very loud clicking or popping noise that comes from inside. Everyone in the house hears it, so it is not just me and my girl has trouble falling asleep because of it. Does anyone else have this clicking noise and/or know what it is? Im just curious because I hear it all the time and have absolutely no clue! Thanks

hmm...i hear clicking sounds from the tank some times...but i don't think i have any shrimp because i took out rocks so many times and rescaped and i never noticed any shrimp...

there are two types of mantis, the smashers are meant to eat mollusks and other other hard invert like crabs and stuff, however when they get large enough they can and prolly will go after if they are hungry enough. Remove him now and sell him to someone. Lots of people like to buy them!!

I’m not sure about mantis shrimp, buy I believe most pistol shrimp will dig under your rocks. Look to where you rocks meet your substrate for any disturbances in the sand. Mine made hills around his opening and his also clicks like crazy when there is something in or near his cave.

Sounds like youve got a mantis shrimp to me (awesome!). Could also have a pistol shrimp. Regardless, take a flashlight and cover it with red saran wrap so you can peer around your tank at night when you hear the clicking noises. If its a pistol shrimp you could probably just leave it (if you dont mind the clicking that is). If its a mantis, finding its burrow and using the bottle trap method is probably your best bet.

lights are off...so far i saw loads of bristle worms and pods (i think...some are swimming in the water column and are attracted to the light...some are on the sand bed and rocks...these hide when light ray falls on them)...

are bristle worms ok in a tank...

no clicking sound yet...i have this camcorder with night vision...hopefully it can use it...

Edited by srkdaz
qwiksilver711
lights are off...so far i saw loads of bristle worms and pods (i think...some are swimming in the water column and are attracted to the light...some are on the sand bed and rocks...these hide when light ray falls on them)...

are bristle worms ok in a tank...

no clicking sound yet...i have this camcorder with night vision...hopefully it can use it...

bristle worms are fine

A lot of people probally dont think about this but...

Do you have any Trochus snails?

Because these guys will sometimes try to throw junk off their shells like if hermits or other things crawl up with them by thrasing their shell around, and when it hits the glass it can sound like a pistol shrimp snapping.

I have put niether of those shrimp in my tank. It cant be a mantis because I dont have any mysterious deaths in my tank! Do pistol shrimp hide very well because if I have one I have never seen it in the year that I have had my tank. Is it possible it is there and ive never seen it?