A Shallow Cube

Zer0

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I want to see where this is going.

Cool. Thanks for tagging along.

So when's the water going in?

Hopefully soon. I'm about to move on to setting up the sump and the plumbing. ;)

Actually its not going to be a sump its going to be a dedicated refugium. I've had great success with refugiums in the past and im definitely going biological filtration on this tank. Not sure how big its going to be yet. Whatever fits under my stand and what money permits.

Nice tank! Where in nj are you? Maybe I can send you in the rite direction as far as a good lfs or two.

Thanks jeffro! I'm in south brunswick.

Everything is done now and it looks awesome. Light tree, stand, etc.. Probably going to take pictures of it tomorrow. Had a rough day today so i couldn't get around to taking them. :(

i cant wait for some updates !

Thanks peewee. I can't wait either!

Excited for updates as well.

Should we make a shallow reef club/thread? Let me know and I'm on it. I will make a signature too.

Yes yes! We absolutely should! For real, that would be awesome. Dude Aj a sig would be so awesome! I would definitely rock it.

I want to see what you are doing with the scape too!! And your fuge!!!

Now for the bomb,,,,,,,,,,

I have the exact same tank!!!!!!!

I can't wait to aquascape.. My DT and my fuge. Best parts of the build IMO.

Can't wait to see your tank setup dude!

What size is your sump/fuge gonna be? Tell me more about your light tree? Is the pipe you used big enough you could snake the wires from your light fixture thru it? I'm still waiting on the tank and now I have ordered my skimmer, bulkheads, and loc-line. My goal is for a high SPS/LPS tank. And this is a first for me. I've never had a tank smaller than 55 gallons. In fact my system that I just took down(sold everything in just two weeks) was about 260 gallons.

What size is your sump/fuge gonna be? Tell me more about your light tree? Is the pipe you used big enough you could snake the wires from your light fixture thru it? I'm still waiting on the tank and now I have ordered my skimmer, bulkheads, and loc-line. My goal is for a high SPS/LPS tank. And this is a first for me. I've never had a tank smaller than 55 gallons. In fact my system that I just took down(sold everything in just two weeks) was about 260 gallons.

Well, i'm having a custom fuge built for me and it's going to have the dimensions of 16x16x14. No skimmer for me. I've always had amazing nutrient export from refugiums and my nitrates and phosphates have always been zero. I wouldn't trade those results for a skimmer any day. Plus, i love being able to put anything i don't want in the DT in the fuge.. Make it a planted saltwater jungle lol.

What would you like to know about the light tree? It's 1/2" EMT piping. I'm going to have to take the wires from my MH pendant out of the actual fixture since the plug obviously won't fit through the piping. Nothing too complicated though.

Picture Update:

2nscahi.jpg

1zxv4e8.jpg

k2lgfa.jpg

afhvur.jpg

From my bed, which i'm pretty excited about since the view is awesome:

2chelt.jpg

Top Down:

mmsqr.jpg

Side Shot:

vep0k7.jpg

aaaaaand all the crap in my stand as it were. Also were my sump will be going.

1239rth.jpg

Alright guys, that's it for now. I'll be sure to update with more pictures when something happens. Sorry about the dust in the tank. It's been sitting there for a while now with nothing going on really at all. Also, sorry for the sub-par camera skills. I don't have a very good camera and there wasn't much lighting in the room, but if that doesn't bother you, then enjoy! :)

hey zero, how do you like the build quality of the tank? how is the clarity vs Glass?

what hole size is the drain/return

friend of mine is going to be upgrading her fluval edge and we have been looking at those tanks.

Do both. Get the geismann in the classifieds.

Yeah, it's pretty tempting, and i just might do that, but only when the time comes to buy my light system. I'm not buying anything right now, but MH/T5 is definitely an option, and definitely one i would like, but money is the factor here. I don't want to spend more than $250 on a light system TBH.

hey zero, how do you like the build quality of the tank? how is the clarity vs Glass?

what hole size is the drain/return

friend of mine is going to be upgrading her fluval edge and we have been looking at those tanks.

The build quality is the best that i've experienced. No seams, there's virtually no silicone, and the clarity is 100% crystal clear. No green tint, and no tint at all. Just pure clear acrylic. I love this tank.

Drain is 1.5" and return is 1". So the bulkheads to that are 1" for the drain and 1/2" for the return.

These AdvancedAcrylics tanks are definitely great options. The prices are amazing for the craftsmanship. I would compare it to an acrylic version of ADA. These tanks even have rounded corners. You can also haggle prices with the owner and he is VERY fair. Overall, i give their business an A+ and i would buy from AA again without hesitation.

Update.

I did purchase some base rock from marcorocks.com last week and i received them on Friday. Best base rock i've ever seen. Extremely porous, has some amazing textures and shapes, and definitely will harbor some awesome micro life once my tank is set up. I love these rocks.

So far, this is what i came up with, and i'm going to let it sit for a while so i can see if i get the feel of it. I have about half a box left(bought a 25lb box of nano size) of nice rocks to play around with so i feel i may find another aquascape i like. In the meantime, i very much like this aquascape, and it looks much better than what my camera can capture. The old junky towel doesn't it make it look any better. But i feel that once there's a few frags in there and it begins to get covered in coraline it will definitely look nice.

Let me know what you guys think. Be harsh.

orlda1.jpg

2lnjs75.jpg

i6cu8o.jpg

ehluki.jpg

2090kfd.jpg

13zdb9z.jpg

1y8ufb.jpg

2zog9ia.jpg

A macro shot:

2a0g5mx.jpg

6i7fqf.jpg

dxmnus.jpg

I know there's some holes in between the "C" shaped rock structure, and i was a little annoyed at that at first, but now i kind of dig it. I also took in to consideration that it would be a place for fish to hide, and for inverts to hide as well. So it's something to think about for now. But with this rock, there is tons of little ledges all over the place which means lots of places to put SPS frags. I also have a couple areas in mind to place monti caps. For now, this is what i'm going with, but it is possible the scape may change.

Thanks Hype. :) I think it will look pretty good once it's all colored up and full of life. It's actually starting to grow on me as well. Nothing like your tank though... -_- BUT... I gotta work with what i got. :happy:

Archived