ReefCleaners.org

Review: Mini-Jelliquarium

Shunyata

Description: 20 gallon kreisel style tank for jellyfish.

Day 1 - Setup: Tank arrived in good condition and and was well packed. Setup was quick and easy. The chiller pump tubes were connected together; this was something I requested since I do not plan to use a chiller initially, but want the option ready for the future. Both pumps were pre-connected as well.

post-61780-1295743966_thumb.jpgpost-61780-1295743990_thumb.jpg

post-61780-1295744004_thumb.jpg

Issues:

1) One of the two ballasts in the light fixture does not work. Both bulbs are good though. Fixed!

2) The manufacture forgot to include the ball valve to allow water flow adjustment. Fixed!

Day 2 - Leak Testing: The display tank and pre-filter compartments are half filled. So far, so good.

Day 3 - Flow Testing: Finally got the tank filled. Added a heater & thermometer in the pre-filter chambers. And got the water level dialed in so no bubbles are created (bubbles are bad for jellies!). The pump itself is fairly quiet. The sound of water movement dominants; like a zen fountain.

Day 4 - Getting Salty: Tank has been running great with no leaks. Mixing good ol' Instant Ocean in.

Day 5 - Fixing Things: The parts arrived quickly as promised. Turns out the issue with the light was the starter, not the ballast. But they sent that too, so I was able to get it fixed. The ball valve is in place and functioning perfectly.

Customer Service: A+

Day 6 - The Transfer: Moved both of my jellies over to the Jelliquarium after some acclimation to the new tank water. I still need to fine tune the water flow, but it's already a huge improvement over their old tank.

post-61780-1296183353_thumb.jpg

Day 8 - Conclusion: 5 Stars! I love this tank!! It is solid and incredibly well designed. And beautiful! Upgrading from a BioUbe is like going from a Pinto to a Porsche.

There are some minor inconveniences: To get full access to the display, the pump must be turned off before removing the safety grate. It is hard to reach into the very bottom of the back compartments. It's almost too shiny; which makes taking pics a bit of a challenge. But these are nothing compared to the problems I had with my previous jelly tank.

Pros: Can easily see jellies, consistent temp throughout display, food stays in display longer, jellies don't get stuck

Cons: Price (but you get what you pay for)

Is it worth it? Yes! :D I wholeheartedly recommend this tank to those who love jellies -and- can afford it.

Please reef responsibly. *heh*

Sweet, where did you get and what did it run? And also is your cat wearing a harness?

Bought it directly from http://www.jelliquarium.com/ and it ran $2,561.10 after tax/shipping/etc. I got the chiller pump assembly and skipped the protein skimmer & chiller.

Yes, Dmitri wears a harness. :)

greentrashbin

"The 24" Mini-Jelliquarium Tank-Only was designed as an inexpensive 'operational' system."

that came right from their website in the summary of what looks like this tank.

Just thought I would point that out haha, nice looking tanks though.

"The 24" Mini-Jelliquarium Tank-Only was designed as an inexpensive 'operational' system."

I beg your pardon?! Did I read your total earlier correctly? And for that price, 2 missing pieces just doesn't seem acceptable,

it ran $2,561.10 after tax/shipping/etc.

Holy ****! Maybe I won't be getting into jellies anytime soon... Best of luck in keeping them though, they are marvelous to watch. :D

Maybe I'm not seeing it, but why is this $2,000 better than a JBJ or similar? It looks nice and all, but that tank costs more than a lot of entire systems and livestock combined.

Maybe I'm not seeing it, but why is this $2,000 better than a JBJ or similar? It looks nice and all, but that tank costs more than a lot of entire systems and livestock combined.

I dont believe you can have any corners with jellyfish. But to each their own. I think its neat.

It's pretty damn cool to see someone who's purchased a Jelliquarium! I've always wondered how they work and if the quality justified the price.

Subscribed to this thread and hope to see some updates soon. I've toyed with the idea of building my own jelliquarium. Perhaps one day with the help of this thread I will.

p.s. Could I trouble you for more photos of the tank, I'm very intrigued. Thanks! :happy:

JBJ tanks can't hold jellies in them.

A kreisel tank alone can cost that much for that size, easily. These are cheap versions.

Wait, why does Dmitri wear a harness?

Do you walk your cat?

LOL. Yes, I walk my cat. The harness helps on the walks and is generally safer. :)

qwiksilver711
LOL. Yes, I walk my cat. The harness helps on the walks and is generally safer. :)

i tried walking my cat... forgot the harness though, he came back after a few days and is quite scared of going outside now

p.s. Could I trouble you for more photos of the tank, I'm very intrigued. Thanks! :happy:

Sure, more tank pics!

post-61780-1295816752_thumb.jpgpost-61780-1295816811_thumb.jpg

Half-full:

post-61780-1295816846_thumb.jpgpost-61780-1295816882_thumb.jpg

How the water flows through the back of the tank:

post-61780-1295820119_thumb.jpg

And from the top:

post-61780-1295821010_thumb.jpg

When will it be ready for jellies? Is it cycling now?

Not sure yet; I'm taking it slow to get everything just right. So far there is only RO/DI water in the tank. :)

Archived