ReefCleaners.org

The Obsession, The Masterpiece

pschom

Also wanted to post something in reference to the Aquaticlife Mini 115 Skimmer. I took it out and cleaned it. It seems that each time I clean it it's dirtier and it also works better afterwards. So, for anyone who doesn't know, or anyone interested...here's some pics. When you clean this, make sure you remove the shaft from the impeller and CAREFULLY clean off algae and other crap. I use Q Tips for everything cause it feels so fragile.

post-58169-1298518236_thumb.jpg

post-58169-1298518254_thumb.jpg

post-58169-1298518270_thumb.jpg

post-58169-1298518284_thumb.jpg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, for the past couple years in this hobby, I always disliked Chalices. Mainly because they looked weird and there were no visible tenticles. BUT, after looking at so many aquariums containing Chalices they started to grow on me (no pun intended). Today I bought an inexpensive one from a nearby LFS I use. I acclimated it, dipped it, and dropped it in the tank. Its sick! I can't wait for it to grow out into a shelf over looking the shroom camp. Sweet. Yes I know I'm a dork, but isn't everyone on this forum?? ;) Some pics.

The chalice didnt make it. I tried feeding it, relocating it. Nothing worked.

post-58169-1298761112_thumb.jpg

Also, something noteworthy... So I realized about two weeks ago that I have too many fish in this nano. But, I've been lazy about removing one as I know its just gonna piss me off when the freakin fish keeps darting from this rock to that rock..... omgomgomg Two days ago I checked the Nitrates and they were WAY out of control. I did a 50% WC and almost everything is great. Weird how after an 'event' everything that survives looks that much better for it. Anyway, what didn't make it were several Zoas. One patch has all but dissapeared. I don't see any Nudis on the rock so I'm assuming they had an issue with Nitrates, or Ammo. The prob is that some of them are still not looking good. I will post on coral forum and ask if my assumption about the WC is presumed to be correct.

Today I got the Midas Blenny out after about 20+ minutes of trapping him on various rocks between a net and a plastic spot feeder. Took him to the LFS and got a Black Blenny which is possibly a 'Sailfin' based on pics from Live Aquaria. I acclimated him and dropped him in there and he went to work. He posted up right on top of the zoa rock and began eating pod after pod. They went running in terror! Blenny AKA 'Larry' didn't take any time at all to get aquainted. The Watermelon Zoas look like they are spreading appropriately. I took some shots with the Sony for once.

pic

pic

pic

Simbiotes: Pistol and Goby and Elegance and Anemone Shrimp

post-58169-1298850948_thumb.jpg

post-58169-1298851152_thumb.jpg

post-58169-1298851345_thumb.jpg

post-58169-1298851641_thumb.jpg

post-58169-1298851884_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Post to check if the new avatar is working. I'm so pissed that a shroom randomly found its way onto the bas of the elegance coral and now the elegance looks like sh!t. I hope it's ok.

and...no. It's not working.

Elegance died several days later. SUCKS!

So the other day I made water with old filters and a couple things are looking like crap. I hope they recover cause that was a stupid mistake. Done several water changes since... we will see. Also picked up a Long Tentacle Anemone from none other than Deathco... More on that next.

• 1 month later...

Haven't updated this is a while. Gave the LFS the LTA cause the angel was nipping at it. Got a mini maxi nem instead and it's doing great. I think it's splitting, but it's all the way up in the top left corner nearly out of the water. Got more zoas sps and yuma and rearranged some things. New filters and a clean ro setup. I'll b posting some pics tomorrow.

Thx. I have to add it at work cause my computer is jacked. Pls some one make it possible to post pics with iPhone/iPad.

pyrocreep

You may just want to look into getting a photobucket (or another similar) account. I have an app on my phone (droid OS) that lets me upload photos directly to the site. Then you just link from your account onto here. That way you don't end up with a bunch of dead photo links in your posts.

Seems like you've taken to reefing about the same way I did. Bunch of research, but not paying enough attention to some of it and paying the price later. Seems like a pretty nice little setup though.

Thx. Yeah if I was rich I'd be more efficient at stuff that doesn't pay the bills. Lol

• 4 weeks later...

Some recent pics. I need a little more rock for the right side. Thinking of breaking the sps rock in half and forming a more effective cave.

1000001846.jpg

1000001892.jpg

1000001888.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

• 1 month later...

For some reason the torch/frogspawn puffs up everytime the lights go out. Wierd. We have gone from feeding the sun coral 1 cube of mysis twice a week to 2 cubes at the same rate. Hope it continues its good heath.

I scraped off the glass of all that algae. ;)

1000001435.jpg

IMG_2378.jpg

IMG_4024.jpg

Couple more pics. My Purple Deaths are killin it!! They look blue though. Got four new babies! I'm so proud :D One Monti browned a while ago, but strangely it looks green under the blue LEDs only. The new rainbow Monti is doing very well. I'd like to get some more color out of it. We'll see.

IMG_4803.jpg

IMG_9966.jpg

Ha 'epic' is a good way of describing it. I think the biggest thing I learned so far is that the system should be set up around the type of livestock you want to keep. I know it seems like a simple concept, but I didn't see it that way until recently. Thanks!

digitalfreq

Looks good. Question, Is the Sun Coral happy out there in the open, under so much light? I'm waiting on a sun coral from J ranko and I'm trying to decide where to put him. I thought they didnt like too much light?

Looks good. Question, Is the Sun Coral happy out there in the open, under so much light? I'm waiting on a sun coral from J ranko and I'm trying to decide where to put him. I thought they didnt like too much light?

Yeah I thought that as well, but seems to be doing fine. It will come out fully when the lights are peaking at 2pm if it senses food in the water column.

looks great! what sand are you using?

It's called Carib Sea Tahitian Moon black substrate from Foster and Smith Aquatics. I actually wrote a review about it. It's great but it IS magnetic so that's concerning...

digitalfreq

Love your mini maxi's.. I only have one so far, but i want more! where do you get yours from? LFS or online?

Love your mini maxi's.. I only have one so far, but i want more! where do you get yours from? LFS or online?

I haven't bought a coral online yet. I usually just drive around on a Sunday when I'm bored waiting for the wife to get off work and shop for corals. That or spend money on ammo and go to the range.

Some pics. I'm really thinking about switching out the BC for a 47 gallon shallow. LFS said reef ready with stand is around $450. I can use all my existing hardware, just need a sump and MP10. Looking for a minimalist design with a few NICE pieces. Probably sell/trade to LFS most of what I have now. Its a thought.

I love these Sun Coral Polyps. The wife makes most of the really good purchases.... :(

1000001566.jpg

The nems. Although the BTA is now a STA (Stringy Tip Anemone) I still like it. Hopefully he will change his mind and go with the bubbles.... The red and green one on the back wall finally moved. I'm assuming it was to get more light. He's coloring back up from a brief stint of SEE THROUGH.

1000001556.jpg

Archived