Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Should I get a pair of these for my new 110 gallon coldwater tank?

AquaticEngineer

AquaticEngineer

1/23/10

*******Edited my original post to reflect my new purchase***********

So now that I picked up a second 110 gallon marineland tank, I think I'm going to try a male/female pair of these if I can find them again.

I'm waiting until I set up my indoor display tank to get any small fish, but any other recommendations for livestock would be welcome :)

********************************************************************************

My brother and I did the rounds today on the live seafood markets to see if there was anything new and exciting. Mostly the same old stuff, snails, abalone, crab, lobster, clams, oysters, blah blah blah.....

But we found a new place that did have live fish today and these are what they had. They were all about 8 inches long or so, averaging about 2 lbs they told me and they were $7.99 a lb. Didn't know what they were at first but suspected a kelp greenling, which they turned out to be. Looks like they had 3 coloration's in there. Did some quick reading and the color differences are just male, female, and juvenile

My pictures dont do them justice so I'll post google images underneath each of my pics.

KELP GREENLING

IMG_20110116_141231.jpg

95144637.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=EF02D7492C29D693AF60C42C8B7A2DC97DA8476D17258887BB1E44068D307F86E30A760B0D811297

IMG_20110116_141207.jpg

Kelp_006-2019563132.jpg

IMG_20110116_141148.jpg

759834717_effed9ef79.jpg

YESYESYES!!! and when it gets big you can eat it! Though I think even a full grown one would be ok in a 110 gal, they're not huge swimmers. And while you're looking at greenling, look up painted greenling. They have a symbiotic relationship with the big urticina anemones, which would be awesome to imitate in captivity.

AquaticEngineer

I would love a painted greenling.

I am going to get a male and a female kelp greenling for the new 110 gallon I'm getting tomorrow.

I would love a painted greenling.

I am going to get a male and a female kelp greenling for the new 110 gallon I'm getting tomorrow.

So you're getting the second 110 gallon. I hope the price was right, and again, I'm jealous!

AquaticEngineer
So you're getting the second 110 gallon. I hope the price was right, and again, I'm jealous!

The price was so right, I picked up 2 of em :D

164101_476568931055_508601055_6276636_6756194_n.jpg

So yes, that is three 110 gallon coldwater tanks I have now :lol:

I only needed one more of them, but the price was too good to pass up. They both need a little cleaning and some minor modifications like my current one to make them work for home aquariums. I've already done all the experimenting on the one I have running so I know exactly what to do with these ones.

Anyways, I'll probably be selling one soon if anyone is interested shoot me a PM.

AquaticEngineer

Sold the extra tank for $100 more than I paid for the both of them. Gotta love a free coldwater marine tank and a $100 profit in less than a week :)

AquaticEngineer

*******Edited my original post to reflect my new purchase***********

So now that I picked up a second 110 gallon marineland tank, I think I'm going to try a male/female pair of these if I can find them again.

I'm waiting until I set up my indoor display tank to get any small fish, but any other recommendations for livestock would be welcome :)

Cool! good luck. I was at Uwajimaya in Portland about a week ago and they had live abalone, along with the usual clams and oysters. They also sometimes get live shrimp, which would be pretty sweet.

AquaticEngineer
Cool! good luck. I was at Uwajimaya in Portland about a week ago and they had live abalone, along with the usual clams and oysters. They also sometimes get live shrimp, which would be pretty sweet.

I got one 4" abalone in the tank right now, I cant wait until they get spot prawns again this summer they are freaking awesome :) I'm gonna get like 4 or 5 of them this time.

AquaticEngineer

Stopped by the seafood market today on my way home and they had more of the Kelp Greenlings in today!!! I'm going to get my cooler and some water ready and go pick up some tomorrow after work if I'm off in time.

They also had some monster sized china rock fish as well as some huge cabezons in. Too big for my liking, but the smallest kelp greenlings they had in may be just perfect. If not, they will be a nice snack ;)

Heres about the size of the china rock fish, and a good pic for reference, if I could get a juvenile one that'd be sweet but not one this big.

ChinaRockfish.jpg

Yeah, china's are gorgeous. When I was in Newport last summer I saw some juvenile rockfish hanging out by the docks. they were around 3 inches long - perfect! not china's, but they still looked nice. I would definitely look for them next time you go.

Archived