SaltCritters.com

rb1685's Rimless BC14 - 3.5 Years and counting

rb1685

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

go rimless since you have the top off. it'll look 100% better..

I've kinda thought about it here and there. I'm afraid of getting too much debris in the water though.

Deputy_Pooh

i did it while my livestock was still in the tank. i used a dremel and had plastic laying slightly above my water level. yes some debris fell in but it wasnt messy at all. most of the removal is from the outside of the tank bc the lip is secured on the top and outside trim rather than inside the tank. biggest issue inside the tank will be the silicone but that comes off in bigger pieces thats easy to remove instantly..

• 2 weeks later...

i did it while my livestock was still in the tank. i used a dremel and had plastic laying slightly above my water level. yes some debris fell in but it wasnt messy at all. most of the removal is from the outside of the tank bc the lip is secured on the top and outside trim rather than inside the tank. biggest issue inside the tank will be the silicone but that comes off in bigger pieces thats easy to remove instantly..

You planted the bug in my ear! I just finished de-rimming my BioCube. I'll try to have pics up tomorrow, but I can say now that I love it. Shoulda done it a long time ago.

Rimless!

Now I just have to take care of my cyano problem and get a new light fixture, and I'll be satisfied.

IMG_1893_zps9815dc45.jpg

IMG_1894_zpse39e136d.jpg

IMG_1895_zps05225dbb.jpg

FTS 5/28/2013

IMG_1896_zps4ef42a3c.jpg

I have to say, that looks amazing. Well done! I hope my BC14 will one day look as good as this!

Thanks!

airman_verde04

Thanks!

very nice,

and all you did was remove the plasic rim on the top and clean off excess sealant to get the rimless look?

I've seen it a few times, looks solid for sure.

very nice,

and all you did was remove the plasic rim on the top and clean off excess sealant to get the rimless look?

I've seen it a few times, looks solid for sure.

Yep. I used a dremel to make two cuts along the frame, then peeled the silicone away with a razor blade. The whole process took about two hours. I love it though.

airman_verde04

Yep. I used a dremel to make two cuts along the frame, then peeled the silicone away with a razor blade. The whole process took about two hours. I love it though.

Very nice!

I've been trying to think how I'll upgrade to a larger tank in the next 1-3 years. BC's are remotely easy to stumble on used. This would be great for me so I can keep 2 clowns (wife loves having clowns)

• 1 month later...
iamjimwood

very impressive tank!
i am restarting a dead biocube 29 and also decided to go rimless. gonna do it tomorrow hopefully.

fantastic job with your biocube it really is beautiful.

Zero-2-Sixty

Beautiful tank! I love the color contrast of the red monti cap over the green star polyps in the side angle top down shot. It looks sick!

very impressive tank!

i am restarting a dead biocube 29 and also decided to go rimless. gonna do it tomorrow hopefully.

fantastic job with your biocube it really is beautiful.

Thanks! Good luck with de-rimming the tank. They hardest part was making the first cut. It took a lot of courage! LOL

Beautiful tank! I love the color contrast of the red monti cap over the green star polyps in the side angle top down shot. It looks sick!

Thank you! The monti is getting too big for its own good. I might have to do some fragging soon.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm moving into a new house this weekend, so it looks like I'm going to have the move the tank. Again.

I'd better go stock up on superglue, because there's going to be a lot of accidental frags :(

Well the move was successful. Somehow I managed to move across town without destroying the big Monti colony. A few of the smaller SPS colonies came unglued, but I've been wanted to move those anyway.

:happydance:

Nice! Now you guys have me convinced to make my 14 rimless...

:huh:

Definitely worth it. They make really sleek tanks without the bulky rim. Just be careful doing it, especiallly if it's full of water!

I am loving my AI Nano but need to decide on a way to control it. Are you hanging it or making a stand?

I'm going to hang it. I'm planning a 40B build, so I wanted a modular light that could be added to in the near future. I'll probably just do some painted conduit again on the 40B. I like AI's EXT system, but I don't like how the lights mount perpendicular to the length of the tank.

• 3 weeks later...

So the AI Hydra purchase turned out to be an eBay scam. Everyone beware of a seller called ant2walk67, and a Paypal merchant Barrier Reef. They attempted to sell the Hydra offline, and I fell for it. Hopefully I can get my money back through Paypal.

Anyway, the tank move last month was a success. I moved some things around and got rid of the Scripp's Stag.

Photo update

Birdsnest & Stylo showing some love

P8210026_zps4ed7b932.jpg

The "Survivor" Acan - see post #181 for the story on this guy:

P8210027_zps22aca3b2.jpg

Purple Monti shrouded by paly's & zoas

P8210030_zps33aa8eb6.jpg

I never ID'd this acro, but I think it's either a Cali Tort or Tricolor Valida. It has nice purple & teal tips with green polyps

P8210031_zps7540f5c1.jpg

P8210035_zps1753805b.jpg

Hungry Duncan. Nom nom nom

P8210033_zpsa401632e.jpg

Big Red

P8210037_zpsede37614.jpg

Love my top-downs

P8210038_zpsf0bae5c4.jpg

FTS 8/22/2013

P8220020_zps7eb93e18.jpg

Very pretty tank! I love how full it looks.

Thanks! This little tank is rapidly approaching it's 3rd birthday, and as everything grows, I like the idea of having fewer specimens of coral grow out, rather than a tank cluttered with tiny frags that will compete for space later on.

Archived