ReefCleaners.org

rb1685's Rimless BC14 - 3.5 Years and counting

rb1685

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So with the upcoming temperature changes, I decided to get a chiller. I found a good used Current USA 1/15 hp for $75. I ran it on a 5 gal bucket of water and it works quite well.

I did some snooping about on NR and found that either the Maxi-Jet 1200, 900 or utility 1100 worked best. I went to my LFS on saturday and picked up the MJ1200 and some tubing.

I drilled the back of the lid to fit the tubes, squeezed the pump down into the 3rd chamber and let a rip. Not only did the pump circulate through the chiller, but it flurried up my tank.

I took the pump out because 1) feel it is too strong for a BC14, and 2) it made a TON of noise in that back chamber as it was touching every possible wall it could.

Back to the drawing board. Looking at either the MJ900 or 1100 next.

The tank is doing okay. I decided to turn the lights down to see what happens. I'll give it a couple of weeks to see if anything starts coloring up.

Here's a picture of my torch:

post-55375-1320792132_thumb.jpg

FTS - from sitting on the floor

post-55375-1320792156_thumb.jpg

I'm going to buy an MP10 soon as my Christmas gift. From what I've read and asking around, flow seems to be my only lack in the health of my corals.

Hey Rb, interesting post. I was looking at your tank and considering mine. We started with our 14's at about the same time. I've had better luck with color in my sps. I Also upgraded my lights to LED but went with panoramas vs. the nanocustoms (two reasons for this, I thought they could be reusable if I upgrade and nanocustoms was having delivery issues). One thing that jumps out at me in looking at your fts is the distinct lack of coralline algae on the back wall. Mine is coated completely. Also interesting that you are still fighting algae. There are four things that I wonder about here; Mg, Ca, your source water, and your salt mix.

Dave

Hey Rb, interesting post. I was looking at your tank and considering mine. We started with our 14's at about the same time. I've had better luck with color in my sps. I Also upgraded my lights to LED but went with panoramas vs. the nanocustoms (two reasons for this, I thought they could be reusable if I upgrade and nanocustoms was having delivery issues). One thing that jumps out at me in looking at your fts is the distinct lack of coralline algae on the back wall. Mine is coated completely. Also interesting that you are still fighting algae. There are four things that I wonder about here; Mg, Ca, your source water, and your salt mix.

Dave

Hey Oncor,

Yeah, I constantly compare my tanks to other BC14 owners, and I simply cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong. I haven't had any algae in about 2 months now, however. Adding a fuge light & cheato helped cleared it up in about 3 days - cyano and dinoflagellates included. I tested everything about two weeks ago and my Ca was about 390 ppm and my Mg was around 1300 if I remember correctly. I have my own Spectrapure RO/DI unit, and I use Red Sea Coral Pro Salt.

The one thing that I know that I did differently is that my tank never really cycled. I used 12-yr old cured lived rock from a local reefer, and had absolutely no die-off. The ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates never spiked like they should have. This leads me to believe that the biological filtration isn't fully established. I've been tempted to break everything down and start over.

The Ca and Mg could be higher but it seems like that wouldn't explain fully what you are seeing. If it were me, before I started over I might try a different salt and supplementing a 3 part while monitoring closely. I started with Reef Crystals and switched to Salinity a few months ago and have had good results with it.

The Ca and Mg could be higher but it seems like that wouldn't explain fully what you are seeing. If it were me, before I started over I might try a different salt and supplementing a 3 part while monitoring closely. I started with Reef Crystals and switched to Salinity a few months ago and have had good results with it.

I might try dosing - I'm not really certain on what to dose, however. I've seen a bunch of people using B-Ionic 2-Part. I'll do some research. I've noticed an increase in growth since using RS Coral Pro salt, and good polyp extension - just nothing has any color.

I dose a basic three part that my LFS store makes. It is just Alk, Ca and Mg. I determined my dosing regiment more empirically than anything else. I tested each component every day for a week to see how much was depleting and then calibrated in how much of each componenent to add daily. There are more scientific ways to do it though. If you know your final water volume and the concentrations in the supplement you can use a reef calculator to get the volume of each part to add to adjust the concentrations to their desired levels.

I am dosing B-Ionic 2 part. AAF actually has single dosers for 109.99, so I bought two and all I ever have to do during the week is feed the tank. Its pretty sweet. I would suggest though to not use the regular B-Ionic 2 part because the Alk part raises your pH. I am dosing 5ml per day and have to dose at night because of this. They do have a version that doesnt affect pH.

As for your pump for the chiller, go with the MJ1100, works like a charm.

I am dosing B-Ionic 2 part. AAF actually has single dosers for 109.99, so I bought two and all I ever have to do during the week is feed the tank. Its pretty sweet. I would suggest though to not use the regular B-Ionic 2 part because the Alk part raises your pH. I am dosing 5ml per day and have to dose at night because of this. They do have a version that doesnt affect pH.

As for your pump for the chiller, go with the MJ1100, works like a charm.

I was in AAF on Saturday, and I probably won't be back. Kevin was just flat out rude to me. :angry: I tried to ask him some questions about a new tank setup he had, and after a couple of one-word answers he just turned around and walked away. He has the best coral selection in town, but I can get dry goods a lot cheaper elsewhere.

I'll look for the kind of B-Ionic that doesn't affect pH. Using the API pH test kit, I really don't trust my numbers, and I have a sneaking suspicion that pH swings are what's causing my SPS to lose their color. I've heard that the Red Sea Coral Pro Salt that I use causes swings in Alk & pH, but I don't have the means to confirm other than testing all the time. I'm looking to buy very soon the RKM SL-1 module with a pH Probe for my RKL. That way I can monitor the pH on a regular basis.

So I drilled the back of the lid to fit the chiller tubes, but everytime I lifted the lid it disconnected the hoses from the intake/pump. It was just too awkward of an angle. I sat there scratching my head trying to remember your setup, then it dawned on me: you don't have a lid! :lol: I'll get to that project again sometime throughout the winter. At least I won't really need the chiller for awhile.

That brings me to something else too. I'm considering a mod to my LED setup to get it away from the water. I've seen some cheaply made mounting rigs made with conduit pipe from which I could suspend the LED array. I think this will have a couple of benifits - 1) It will widen the light coverage of the tank, and allow me to increase the intensity of the lights without detrimenting the corals' health, and 2) I can get rid of the lid and those noisy fans! What are your thoughts?

I was in AAF on Saturday, and I probably won't be back. Kevin was just flat out rude to me. :angry: I tried to ask him some questions about a new tank setup he had, and after a couple of one-word answers he just turned around and walked away. He has the best coral selection in town, but I can get dry goods a lot cheaper elsewhere.

Really? Maybe he was in a bad mood or had something on his mind. I have never seen him do that.

I'll look for the kind of B-Ionic that doesn't affect pH. Using the API pH test kit, I really don't trust my numbers, and I have a sneaking suspicion that pH swings are what's causing my SPS to lose their color. I've heard that the Red Sea Coral Pro Salt that I use causes swings in Alk & pH, but I don't have the means to confirm other than testing all the time. I'm looking to buy very soon the RKM SL-1 module with a pH Probe for my RKL. That way I can monitor the pH on a regular basis.

Yea, I use a pinpoint pH monitor and am looking to add on to my RKL as well. Interesting that you said RS Coral Pro cause swings in Alk and pH. I wonder if thats why I have to dose as much as I do. But my corals are growing though.

So I drilled the back of the lid to fit the chiller tubes, but everytime I lifted the lid it disconnected the hoses from the intake/pump. It was just too awkward of an angle. I sat there scratching my head trying to remember your setup, then it dawned on me: you don't have a lid! :lol: I'll get to that project again sometime throughout the winter. At least I won't really need the chiller for awhile.

Haha, topless is the way to go. Many more advantages

That brings me to something else too. I'm considering a mod to my LED setup to get it away from the water. I've seen some cheaply made mounting rigs made with conduit pipe from which I could suspend the LED array. I think this will have a couple of benifits - 1) It will widen the light coverage of the tank, and allow me to increase the intensity of the lights without detrimenting the corals' health, and 2) I can get rid of the lid and those noisy fans! What are your thoughts?

I am in the process of making another lighting fixture for my 20L out of conduit. It will widen your coverage but as for intensity, shouldnt matter if they can be dimmed now...you'd just crank it up to what you have now at whatever given height. Yes, getting rid of the lid is key in my opinion. Thats the only thing I didnt do with my LED setup, was try it topless. Just make sure to make a mesh lid (I can point you in the right direction).

So I've been testing the pH at random hours these past two days.

11/16 - 7 PM (right after lights went out) - 8.4

11/17 - 6 AM (4 hrs before lights go on) - 7.8

11/17 - 5 PM (2 hrs before lights go out) - 8.2

11/18 - 6 AM - 8.2

Is this kind of fluctuation normal? Could it be causing the paling of my SPS corals?

I have a fuge with cheato on a reverse light cycle, which I understand helps stabilize the pH, but obviously this isn't the case.

Tonight I'm going to start testing Alk at random hours to see if it's bouncing around too.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Hey bro, sup...

just came across something regarding B-ionic 2 part on this thread regarding the alk part raising pH. interesting, every tank may be different, maybe in regards to the intake of nutrients, maybe magnesium is off becuase my pH never rises past 8, well, actually, its always at 7.8... 24/7 lol.

Ive been using B-ionic 2part and Kent's tech-M for 7 months now, but switching to b-ionic's magnesium, just ordered it. Love the stuff, so balanced and Ionically stable.

• 2 weeks later...
So I've been testing the pH at random hours these past two days.

11/16 - 7 PM (right after lights went out) - 8.4

11/17 - 6 AM (4 hrs before lights go on) - 7.8

11/17 - 5 PM (2 hrs before lights go out) - 8.2

11/18 - 6 AM - 8.2

Is this kind of fluctuation normal? Could it be causing the paling of my SPS corals?

I have a fuge with cheato on a reverse light cycle, which I understand helps stabilize the pH, but obviously this isn't the case.

Tonight I'm going to start testing Alk at random hours to see if it's bouncing around too.

When I had a fuge it didnt make much difference either. I suspect it was the amount of chaeto - not enough - and thats when I decided to get rid of the fuge, more trouble than its worth. pH swings greater than 0.2 in a 24hr period isnt good. I am trying to lock down my pH swings as well.

New FTS 12/1/2011

post-55375-1323280361_thumb.jpg

I'm still having trouble with SPS color. I think I've narrowed it down to fluctuations in water chemistry. Everything still has good growth and polyp extension, though.

I think my trumpet coral is about to die. It hasn't opened in several months and the tissue is slowly receding. I think I need to move it to another location as it was happy in a low light, low flow spot before the re-scape.

New FTS 12/1/2011

post-55375-1323280361_thumb.jpg

I'm still having trouble with SPS color. I think I've narrowed it down to fluctuations in water chemistry. Everything still has good growth and polyp extension, though.

I think my trumpet coral is about to die. It hasn't opened in several months and the tissue is slowly receding. I think I need to move it to another location as it was happy in a low light, low flow spot before the re-scape.

Looking really good!

SouthFlorida_Tron

i get the same thing, sometimes its a matter of time and growth.... i just transfered my tank and most of the frags have securely grown onto the liverock and overgrown the fresh putty they were attached with. they browned a bit from the stress but have since then grown a bit and shown great color, sometimes thats all it takes.

• 1 month later...

So I use the stock BC14 return pump to mix up waterchanges. Last night I reached in to grab the heater, and the water shocked the piss out of me. Thinking it was the cheapo Petsmart heater, I unplugged it and pulled it out by the chord. When I reached in to grab the pump, I got shocked again! Needless to say, that pump is going in the trash. :angry:

Other than that, things are doing well in the tank. It just turned 1 year old on 1/1/2012, so updated pics are forthcoming. I started dosing Seachem 2-part and I'm seeing good growth and some fresh coralline. I'm also dosing a small amount of Mg, but I can't remember what brand.

• 2 months later...

A long needed update:

Things are just on cruise control right now. I'm just feeding, doing regular water changes, and watching things grow. I've been dosing Seachem 2-Part daily, and I've seen some pretty good results. The SPS corals are growing quite rapidly and some are getting some color back. I've added a few corals since the last update.

Here's some pics:

3/24/2012 - FTS

post-55375-1332780455_thumb.jpg

War Coral

post-55375-1332780491_thumb.jpg

Un-Id'd Acropora

post-55375-1332780546_thumb.jpg

SPS Growth - Blue Hawkins Echinata & ORA Green Scripp's Acropora

post-55375-1332780595_thumb.jpg

Everybody seems pretty happy. Lots of good growth and polyp extension. A few months ago I did lose Lenny the Blenny though :( . One day I woke up and he was dead, and I have no idea why. I suspect either malnutrition or he got stung by one of the corals. The clownfish have a great tendancy to steal all the food, and it became increasingly difficult to feed him.

I really want a bigger tank with some more equipment like a skimmer, ATO, and dosing pumps. I'm often gone on the weekends so I would really like a little more automation. I'm looking at the CADLights 50 gallon long Artisan II. It's a nice package, but comes with a sizable pricetag. Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good! How do you like the Seachem 2 Part? Does the alk raise your pH when dosed? I am using ESV B-Ionic 2 part. My tank has been dying slowly. I switched to GFO and I put too much in there (half the recommended dose) and phosphates went to 0 too quickly (thats my theory). So nothing seems really happy. I am waiting to get the 20L up and running.....should be up by April 15th! :happydance:

Looking good! How do you like the Seachem 2 Part? Does the alk raise your pH when dosed? I am using ESV B-Ionic 2 part. My tank has been dying slowly. I switched to GFO and I put too much in there (half the recommended dose) and phosphates went to 0 too quickly (thats my theory). So nothing seems really happy. I am waiting to get the 20L up and running.....should be up by April 15th! :happydance:

Yeah everything seems to be doing well. The polyp extension on one of the acros was probably 3/8" this morning!!! The color that I want is still lacking, however. I think my SPS are just too close to the LED's. I've tried dimming, but I still don't think they're set correctly.

Q at T&T recommended the Seachem 2 Part. Since I started dosing (late December), I have seen a marked growth spurt in my hard corals. I think the PH has leveled out too, as all of the corals seem to be fully open more frequently. I was dosing Mag for awhile, but after losing 4 snails in one week, I decided to cut back on that.

That sucks about your tank! What salt are you using? Since your tank is so old, perhaps it is not getting some of the trace elements that it needs in regular water changes. What do I know, I'm still just a n00b. :P

I'm really eager to see your 20L. Who did you buy it from? I'm planning a 50gal rimless cube; something along the lines of 24x24x20. I'm not sure if anyone does custom tanks that size in Houston. I might just throw down and get the Cadlights 50 gal. That's a lot of $ though.

How's the new baby?

That sucks about your tank! What salt are you using? Since your tank is so old, perhaps it is not getting some of the trace elements that it needs in regular water changes. What do I know, I'm still just a n00b. :P

Red Sea Coral Pro. For now I am sticking to the 0 phosphates or dosing issues. The new tank should bring all of these back to life, Im hoping. Surprisingly the Pink BN and the duncans are still growing like crazy! My acans are hanging on because I dont get a chance to target feed them due to access....the BN is blocking my path!

I'm really eager to see your 20L. Who did you buy it from? I'm planning a 50gal rimless cube; something along the lines of 24x24x20. I'm not sure if anyone does custom tanks that size in Houston. I might just throw down and get the Cadlights 50 gal. That's a lot of $ though.

Its a regular 20L from Petsmart. I didnt want to spend a lot on the tank. A rimless would have been nice. But I'll save that for my next tank!! LOL. Before you buy an expensive tank, just make sure you are in a permanent location so you dont have to move it. I know I want a big tank, 100gal+. The 20L should keep me busy until I move to another house, hopefully within the next year or so. Once I get the 20L up and running, I'll make a thread and post pics. Its drilled with a glass-holes overflow, to a sump that I had from my last tank and I added a Eshopps in sump skimmer. I ordered my bulbs today (ATI Blue+, Coral+ and Purple+ and an additional PC4 for the RKL. Going with a simple look, a layer of sand with 2 separate mounds of LR...open look.

How's the new baby?

Baby is good...growing fast! Finally sleeping through the night. Still barely have time...but its slowly coming back.

• 1 month later...

Archived