ReefCleaners.org

ADA 45P Killed My TV

MySafeWordIsWhiskey

My duncan has been all closed up for about a week. It does not look dead, just closed. Any thoughts on this? Everything else looks happy.

I've had the same problem, they don't adjust to flow well. Either move it to a low flow area, or put a cup over it when you feed it. I used to just set a whole block of frozen food on top of it and cover it with a glass cup. It'll come out to feed, and in a few days it will stay open.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MySafeWordIsWhiskey
I've had the same problem, they don't adjust to flow well. Either move it to a low flow area, or put a cup over it when you feed it. I used to just set a whole block of frozen food on top of it and cover it with a glass cup. It'll come out to feed, and in a few days it will stay open.

Thanks. I did not know that. Weird because it was happy for a long while and then it just went dormant. I just started feeding Reef Nutrition Oyster Eggs directly to it with a cup over it and...it started to open for the first time today. :)

MySafeWordIsWhiskey

Two new additions. Deresa clam and Goniopora. The clam will stay until it gets too big for this system. It is relatively small now.

I have heard so many stories about how difficult it is to keep Goni, but I have always wanted to give it a try.

Pictures to follow.

• 1 month later...
MySafeWordIsWhiskey

I am getting some acros, and my question is with two PAR 30 Boost LEDs over a ten gallon, what is the recommended placement for milli's, and turaki's?

The lights are about 10 inches over the water, and the acros would be at least 12 inches from the lights (due to how the rock is placed).

All other parameters are stable.

Thanks.

MySafeWordIsWhiskey

Just thought I would put this out there.

My Calcium, Alk and Magnesium have been very high.

I use Bionic ESV 4 part salt mix. When I first set-up the system, all the parameters tested fine. As I was using Zeo, I did not do a WC for the first few weeks as the tank cycled. When I tested for Alk, Calc and Mag, everything was fine. I usually make up about 2 gallons for my WC and only test for SG (about 1.025). I use a refractometer.

I recently got SPS and I have not seen much if any PE. So I started running through tests. When I tested for AlK, Calc and Mag it was very high, much higher than you would want in the tank.

ALK: 11.2 dkh

CALC: 500+

Mag: 1500+

I tested a new 2 gallon batch of water and got readings of:

SG: 1.0245

ALK: 10.4 DKH

CALC: 550+

MAG: 1500+

I then made up a new 5 gallon batch of water and tested it and the readings were much more in line with how they should be:

SG 1.0245

ALK: 8.7

CALC: 420

Mag: 1360

Not sure if anyone else has had similar results from making very small amounts, but just thought I would put it out there so that no one else drives up their values too high with small water changes using the ESV Bionic 4 part. I will just make larger batches from now on (5 gallons and up).

I guess I could tinker with the smaller batches and add less of each component, but it seems like more trouble than it is worth to figure out what the quantities should be.

• 5 weeks later...
MySafeWordIsWhiskey

Wanted to see if anyone had suggestions on help for my goni.

It is still colored up, but the polyps do not extend. It has been this way for about three weeks now. Some polyps near the base make a weak attempt, but it has not really been out in a long time.

My parameters are:

ALK: 8.4

CALC: 480

MAg: 1380

Salinity: 1.025

Ph: 8.1

Temp: 77-78

Nitrates and phos. are not detectable on API kits.

MySafeWordIsWhiskey
Cant help with your question, but your tank looks great. Been a while since I have been on here.

good luck

gg

Thanks. Your tank is looking good too. One of these days I have to get a tank that can accommodate a tang. I am fish less right now - had two jumpers - my clown and yasha goby both.

Wanted to see if anyone had suggestions on help for my goni.

It is still colored up, but the polyps do not extend. It has been this way for about three weeks now. Some polyps near the base make a weak attempt, but it has not really been out in a long time.

My parameters are:

ALK: 8.4

MAg: 1380

Salinity: 1.025

Nitrates and phos. are not detectable on API kits.

Bump for the evening crowd.

MySafeWordIsWhiskey

Just trying to see if anyone out there has any advice on my Goni...it has been mostly closed for a few weeks. Still colorful, just no PE. My parameters are:

ALK:8.4

MAG: 1380

SAL: 1.025

Does anyone know of something that I could be missing that would help the Goni get back out?

MySafeWordIsWhiskey
most favorite scape ever!!

Thanks! I need to post updated pics. On another note, after changing the resin in my RO/DI system and doing a 5 gallon w/c the Goni has started to come out again. I think I waited too long on the resin, even the the TDS meter was still reading zero.

• 2 weeks later...
MySafeWordIsWhiskey

P1030661_2.jpg

Battling a bit of hair algae. It is white and unhealthy but there anyway. My goni stays closed, but has not lost any color. Cant seem to get it to open. My gobies jumped :angry: , so now I have a Royal Gramma. Got him and some gorgonians and some shrimp. I really just cannot take photos of this tank with my point and shoot and the leds. The colors just do not come out right and it takes a lot of editing just to get it to the crappy level.

NIce tank! Did you give up on doing the display refuge? I was planning doing something like that, but I am afraid on getting bored on day and have the refuge getting ugly in my living room.

MySafeWordIsWhiskey
NIce tank! Did you give up on doing the display refuge? I was planning doing something like that, but I am afraid on getting bored on day and have the refuge getting ugly in my living room.

No display fuge...the plumbing was a bit too daunting.

lessergeneration

not to be a downer but there is a pretty good chance the gramma will jump, you should get a small clear mesh top made for the tank. but on the positive note your tank looks sweet and love the clam :)

MySafeWordIsWhiskey
how you like that royal gramma?

This fish has a lot of personality. It holes up for the most part, but at feeding time, it is very bold. I had one as a kid in a fish only tank - it was a cool fish too. I may make a top for the tank, because I really do not want to lose another fish to the carpet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
MySafeWordIsWhiskey
Wow your tank is looking fantastic!! Really like your scape and colors :)

Thanks. It is getting there. So hard to get the colors right with the LEDs. The colors of the SPS are not visible at all and the zoas look really dull. I think it looks much better in person.

On another note, parts of my purple gorgonian were not extending at all. I noticed that some of the polyps appeared to be moving - as in crawling very slowly up a branch. After looking for a bit, it turned out to be a nudibranch camouflaged to look like polyps. I removed it, so hopefully the damaged section will grow back.

Archived