ADA 45P Killed My TV

MySafeWordIsWhiskey

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MySafeWordIsWhiskey

Anyone try this thing out yet?

http://www.finsreef.com/xcart/product.php?...=276&page=1

Wondering if it would work on such a small tank.

Still debating drilling or DIY MAME until the real thing is available again. The Xaqua is pricey, but by the time I get a Gl#######s kit and all associated plumbing the Xaqua is not that much more. It may even eliminate the need for a Vortech if it does what it says it can do.

Anyone try this thing out yet?

http://www.finsreef.com/xcart/product.php?...=276&page=1

Wondering if it would work on such a small tank.

Still debating drilling or DIY MAME until the real thing is available again. The Xaqua is pricey, but by the time I get a Gl#######s kit and all associated plumbing the Xaqua is not that much more. It may even eliminate the need for a Vortech if it does what it says it can do.

I do not have the product in the link, but finsreef is about 45 minutes from me. Brian, the owner, has a ton of great connections, and will not carry or sell anything he does not have faith in. He is a stand up guy, and the store is top notch when it comes to customer service. We had our local club meeting there back in august. He was raving about the thing, but was upset that he didn't have one to show off yet. Fyi, Brian meets with the makers of the products he sells before he will get them to make sure he knows the products inside and out.

MySafeWordIsWhiskey
I do not have the product in the link, but finsreef is about 45 minutes from me. Brian, the owner, has a ton of great connections, and will not carry or sell anything he does not have faith in. He is a stand up guy, and the store is top notch when it comes to customer service. We had our local club meeting there back in august. He was raving about the thing, but was upset that he didn't have one to show off yet. Fyi, Brian meets with the makers of the products he sells before he will get them to make sure he knows the products inside and out.

I emailed them for some more info on the product and they responded very quickly with great info, including the template for drilling. I went ahead and ordered and apparently it arrived a day after I ordered it (I am on the road). FinsReef is the real deal.

MySafeWordIsWhiskey

I am very fortunate to have come by a MAME overflow.

I also have the XAqua In/Out (

)

I owned an all in one previously and have not had a sump yet. My question is which one do you all recommend for the 45P?

Also, in either case, I will only have one overflow, so if it gets clogged lots of water on the floor. Is there a way to set up a switch that will kill the pump if the overflow is clogged/stops working?

XAqua Pros:

1. Drilled tank =less to go wrong.

2. Because of the way this device works, I may get all the flow I need from it. May allow me to sell the Vortech MP 10.

XAqua Cons:

1. Look is not as clean, but still not bad.

MAME Pros:

1. Design makes it nearly invisible.

2. No drilling.

MAME Cons:

1. More to go wrong on external overflows.

2. Looks like it will not stay clean for long.

Thanks!

Idk.. some people tend to go orgasmic over the Mame overflows but i personally don't see what all the rage is about. It's just another ugly external overflow that's made of glass instead of plastic. I prefer drilling the tank because it's cleaner, and if you set it up correctly you pretty much never have to clean it, it won't get clogged, and you could make it extremely low profile should you choose to do so.

I've drilled all of my tanks and never had a single problem. Ever.

• 1 month later...
MySafeWordIsWhiskey

Built a small box to raise it up.

Drilled an overflow and return.

Plumbed it to a small sump in the cabinet.

Filled it with RO/DI water and leak tested. Of course there was a leak; I fixed it.

Added salt, dead sand, dead rock, a small piece of live rock and a bunch of gadgets and away we go.

There is a PAR 30 bulb from Boost LED I am using temporarily until the Nanocustoms T5 LED Hybrid arrives. The sig shows the result - way too blue; now I need to figure out how to edit. But it looks really cool in person.

IMG_6994-1-1.jpg

MySafeWordIsWhiskey

Cycling now. Ammonia levels are up. A bit truer as far as the colors go; but after editing the water looks cloudy. The water level looks low in this photo, but it is actually only an inch from the top. Was going to go with a black background, but this was not wife approved, so it is clear for now. Let me know what you think.

P1030287-1.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
Paleoreef103
Cycling now. Ammonia levels are up. A bit truer as far as the colors go; but after editing the water looks cloudy. The water level looks low in this photo, but it is actually only an inch from the top. Was going to go with a black background, but this was not wife approved, so it is clear for now. Let me know what you think.

P1030287-1.jpg

How quiet is the Xqua? It looks like it would be noisy, but I hear whispers that they are quite quiet.

MySafeWordIsWhiskey

It is very quiet. It makes virtually no noise at all. You can put your ear next to it and still hardly hear a thing.

I am very happy with it so far (running for about five weeks now.)

• 3 weeks later...

They're also called St. Thomas Mushrooms. Very uncommon right now. Maybe they'll become the new ric.

http://coralmorphologic.com/xcart/home.php?cat=14

MySafeWordIsWhiskey, are both of these shrooms new? I'm curious about the difficulty keeping them and whether they split on their own or require cutting.

That green is really popping under those lights. Tank is looking nice. Do you have any fish yet? If not, are you feeding the corals or anything in the tank?

MySafeWordIsWhiskey

Those are St. Thomas mushrooms. They came from Coral Morphologic and I think they are wild collected.

I am using the Zeovit system, and now and then I put some flake food, but not much other than that because no fish yet. The stones get agitated once or twice a day and release mulm that feeds the tank (insert joke here). Daily, I also add one drop of Sponge Power, .2 ml of ZeoStart 3 and twice a week I add 1 drop of ZeoBac. I started the tank like this with a small piece of live rock and had almost no cycle to speak of.

The Welso has been in the tank for about a month and seems very happy. It really is radioactive green. But the shrooms, rics and zoas are all new (two days), though they opened right up even after I had them in and out of the water to get them glued onto the rocks. I think the St. Thomas grow relatively slowly; I kind of hope they are as I do not want them to take over the tank.

At only ten gallons and with an open top, I am struggling to figure out what fish to add. I really do not want to come home to dried up fish. I am thinking Trimma gobies? Thoughts?

• 1 month later...
MySafeWordIsWhiskey

Had a dino problem (I think).

Complete blackout for 4 days. Big rock scrub and water change. Light cycle is at 5 hours now. Bringing it back up slowly. So far so good.

I still can't get the colors right in the photos and a lot of things are unhappy because I turned the lights on for the picture:

P1030421_2.jpg

AquaticDiscounts

that's a nice setup you have. welcome to the club. I have an ADA with the same overflow too. Its awesome!

• 1 month later...
MySafeWordIsWhiskey

My duncan has been all closed up for about a week. It does not look dead, just closed. Any thoughts on this? Everything else looks happy.

Archived