Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

jgoldwood's 40 breeder

jgoldwood

I was about to say put a couple of damsels in to jump start it but then I thought about how cruel it would be if they died

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont think it could hurt to try to jump start it. I would have thought that the clowns would have been enough.

Go to Reefcleaners.org to get your CUC. Its really cheap and they throw in a ton extra.

Hey, Atomic. Already have my CUC ordered from John, and he is awaiting my email asking him to ship it. I was waiting for the tank to get some algae growing. I don't see how anything will survive, as there is nothing going on in there.

Hey, man. Just the return pump and MP10. Nothing else other than the lights. I have not done any water changes.

hmmm....try the shrimp for a few days. if that doesnt start something then I would order the CUC. Thats my best advice. Obiviously the CUC wont have a ton to eat, but you should never order a huget CUC just to help with your cycle algae bloom and then have them die afterwards. Any CUC from Reefcleaners should be just fine.

Nothing, Mini. I was under the impression I should not have the skimmer or reactor, or anything else, going while the tank is cycling - or attempting to cycle?

Nothing, Mini. I was under the impression I should not have the skimmer or reactor, or anything else, going while the tank is cycling - or attempting to cycle?

Dont ask me. :lol: I havent got over the hump of setup..but ts happening this week

Your correct about this. You have done everything right. So its either you have not started the cycle or it was so small that you didnt notice it.

hmmm....try the shrimp for a few days. if that doesnt start something then I would order the CUC. Thats my best advice. Obiviously the CUC wont have a ton to eat, but you should never order a huget CUC just to help with your cycle algae bloom and then have them die afterwards. Any CUC from Reefcleaners should be just fine.

I've heard very mixed reviews of the shrimp method. What exactly does this entail? Throw a frozen shrimp from the store in the tank? Should I remove the clowns before this?

Ya, its basically throwing the frozen shrimp in. Its just something to start bacteria growth. Kinda like when some people start a cycle by adding fish.

I truly think you had a really small cycle and you would be fine adding the CUC. Thats only my personal opinion. I could be completely wrong. Im not claiming to be a expert. Adding something like a shrimp would be doing the same thing as adding a fish and i know you have had clowns in this tank from the beginning. I dont know what else to do other than maybe order the CUC and hope for the best. I doubt anything will happen, but you never know.

I personally have cycled 4 tanks. All of them had a algae bloom within a week, most within 4 days.

fingerscrossed

If the clowns have been in there since day one you should have seen a cycle by now if not it was probably very minimal. I would say go ahead add a small clean up crew and add any additions as needed. just my opinion...

That BRS reactor is a little difficult to get dialed in right. I wish that I had gotten 2 single reactors after having one for almost a year. I continually have to adjust mine to get it right.

It's a good reactor and it works, as long as you keep monitoring it.

I didn't go the shrimp route yet, but when I got home tonight I noticed some filth on the glass. Maybe this is a sign? I ordered half of my CUC from John, and it should be here next week.

• 3 weeks later...

It has been awhile, and I've done a bit with the tank. Here are some photos taken about 10 minutes ago.

FTS

953d7119.jpg

BRS Dual Reactor and Various Electronics (waiting on my Elite to plug in the 3rd PC4)

82fc4e23.jpg

New ATO Reservoir

3a5f50e3.jpg

Messy Sump

110ee007.jpg

Looks great. Did you make the resovior? great idea. I may copy that! ;)

I was just thinking the same thing! Never thought of making an acrylic one.

Tank looks great!

Hey, guys. Thanks for the comments. I ordered it from Advanced. It is the 10 gallon, and I'm sure he still has it listed on ebay.

• 8 months later...

Wow... it's been awhile. The tank has been neglected. Here a few photos I just took that shows some growth - messing with the wife's camera and I have no clue how to use it.

IMG_2344.jpg

IMG_2345.jpg

IMG_2346.jpg

IMG_2349.jpg

IMG_2353.jpg

IMG_2355.jpg

IMG_2364.jpg

A bad picture of the goby I got off a guy. The fish always swims upside down and perches on the underside of rocks. Usually it is as pictured on the bottom of the overflow box when I'm feeding.

IMG_2329.jpg

Here's a picture of the Elos Mini I had for sale that no one wanted. Ended up setting it up quickly to house a clownfish that is mean.

f2e71f4b.jpg

Archived