Innovative Marine Aquariums

Alpheus armatus and yasha goby

keydiver

What are the chances of these guys pairing up? I caught a red pistol months back on a diving trip, and now that I have redone my rockwork, he relocated his burrow to the front of the tank. I want to pair him with a yasha goby now that he's front and center. Whata's the best way to introduce the two?

animalmaster6

It's a large species of pistol shrimp so I have doubts. The pistol shrimp may even be a harm to the goby. How big is it and could you post a pic of it?

It's a large species of pistol shrimp so I have doubts. The pistol shrimp may even be a harm to the goby. How big is it and could you post a pic of it?

Yeah i'll try to get a pic of him. He's about 1and a half - 2 inches

animalmaster6

I wouldn't risk it. I don't know too much about this specific species but I do know that it looks mean. I wouldn't risk it.

I do plan on doing many experiments with pistol shrimps in the future. I'm going to try to study as many species as possible.

I wouldn't risk it. I don't know too much about this specific species but I do know that it looks mean. I wouldn't risk it.

I do plan on doing many experiments with pistol shrimps in the future. I'm going to try to study as many species as possible.

I actually did a lot more research on it, and found out that it is almost always in association with the curly cue nem, which makes sense, because I found this one hosting one of them. And he's going crazy because I had some pellet food in my hand, he's actually a nice little guy.

oh by the way, check out this alphidae database I found, I think you'll like it

http://biogeodb.stri.si.edu/bioinformatics...pecies_list.php

• 1 year later...

Reviving and old thread. I just bought this pistol shrimp. He's cute and lives in my sump, I bought him so that he could dig up a storm in there.

Key Diver: do you have more info on him, I am feeding pellets but is there anything else worth mentioning about him?

Thanks

Reviving and old thread. I just bought this pistol shrimp. He's cute and lives in my sump, I bought him so that he could dig up a storm in there.

Key Diver: do you have more info on him, I am feeding pellets but is there anything else worth mentioning about him?

Thanks

Hey Kat,

I picked this guy up a year or two ago on a patch reef. They are a carribean species that live in symbiosis with the curly cue anemone. They don't pair with any gobies, but they will dig a burrow. I had mine for a long time in my reef tank, until he started burying corals in sand and stealing my ricordea. They're awesome shrimp, but they can get pretty big. I never saw him snap at a fish or other shrimp, but he did eat the occasional snail and was very greedy when it came to pellets. The relationship with the CQ nem is very unique and would be col to have in your tank. They're pretty common on the reefs and I see them frequently, usually paired with the nem, and usually in pairs themselves.

I will say that they are serious excavators. Throw some rubble rock in there and he'll have a blast.

:lol: so far he is content to live in the corner under my huge bi-valve. I've heard him snap at something and it was very loud. I only have sexy shrimp, snails a couple of micro hermits and bristle worms in the fuge to keep him company. IF he decided to explore he could find lots of places to dig around and have fun.

Hey Kat here is a cool video of what an Alpheus armatus does protecting it's Bartholomea annulata curley cue anem. I'm not sure what in your under DT DT area it will pick without one of the anems. However, it is safe to say whoever comes in the neighborhood will get a talking to.

I'm still debating getting a pair and a curley cue from KPA. The aggressiveness makes me a little worried. Also I would want the curley not to move from where I put it, that way I can control the likely range of the pistols.

Edit: Forgot how big the bristles are in this video, yikes

Hey Kat here is a cool video of what an Alpheus armatus does protecting it's Bartholomea annulata curley cue anem. I'm not sure what in your under DT DT area it will pick without one of the anems. However, it is safe to say whoever comes in the neighborhood will get a talking to.

I'm still debating getting a pair and a curley cue from KPA. The aggressiveness makes me a little worried. Also I would want the curley not to move from where I put it, that way I can control the likely range of the pistols.

Edit: Forgot how big the bristles are in this video, yikes

Wow that was awesome, thank you for posting. So interesting what they did in there. Fire worms to eat Curlies, Pistols to protect the curlies, they also had Arrow crabs which are known bristle worm predators (although in the video I could only see fire worms) and then they also had anemone shrimps. Very very cool.

So should I get him a curly is the questions? I got the shrimp from Sea life and they have curlies too.

Wow that was awesome, thank you for posting. So interesting what they did in there. Fire worms to eat Curlies, Pistols to protect the curlies, they also had Arrow crabs which are known bristle worm predators (although in the video I could only see fire worms) and then they also had anemone shrimps. Very very cool.

So should I get him a curly is the questions? I got the shrimp from Sea life and they have curlies too.

I would do it. It's an awesome relationship to observe, and if you've got the room for it, hell why not. The CQ nem won't have much of a bioload on your system anyways.

Archived