Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Diy Moonlights With Pics

FISHHEAD

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
reefinspired
Originally posted by ghostbear29

dude your car is a/c alternating current...duh!!! the plug has to be ac to dc or direct current. look, heres a pic>

ac: - - - - - - -

dc: ________

Incorrect. Your car is DC.

The alternator is AC but its then rectified for use in the car.

The lighter socket is 12 volts DC

Just to clear things up.... The 1000ma rated adapters will generate more than 1000ma. The rating means that is what the transformer will safely supply you with before everheating. For your purposes a 300 ma adapter is fine. Don't use this in your current calculations though.

If you hook up your LEDs for even a second without a resistor they will be damaged which makes uneven lighting or no lighting at all.

You will need to understand a little about Ohm's Law to hook up your leds properly.

Ohm's law states that Volts= Amps x Ohms

Each LED by its self requires 3.0 volts(about) Take your 12 volt power supply subtract 3. Your supply voltage is 9 after the LED uses its share. Ohms law volts/amps = ohms

You want 20 ma or .02 amps

9/.02 = 450 ohms but 470 ohm works fine.

leds in series add there voltages together (9 volts for 3) but draw the same current 20 ma.

Leds in parallel add Current. 3 LEDs 60ma but draw the same voltage as a single LED (3 volts).

Check out this site to do some calclulations http://www.theledlight.com/ledcircuits.html

When your ready to buy LEDs go to www.aquamoonlight.com

and get 50 of the for the price 10 at most places that way you can burn a few out without depleting your supply.

Just to clear things up.... The 1000ma rated adapters will generate more than 1000ma. The rating means that is what the transformer will safely supply you with before everheating. For your purposes a 300 ma adapter is fine. Don't use this in your current calculations though.

If you hook up your LEDs for even a second without a resistor they will be damaged which makes uneven lighting or no lighting at all.

You will need to understand a little about Ohm's Law to hook up your leds properly.

Ohm's law states that Volts= Amps x Ohms

Each LED by its self requires 3.0 volts(about) Take your 12 volt power supply subtract 3. Your supply voltage is 9 after the LED uses its share. Ohms law volts/amps = ohms

You want 20 ma or .02 amps

9/.02 = 450 ohms but 470 ohm works fine.

leds in series add there voltages together (9 volts for 3) but draw the same current 20 ma.

Leds in parallel add Current. 3 LEDs 60ma but draw the same voltage as a single LED (3 volts).

Check out this site to do some calclulations http://www.theledlight.com/ledcircuits.html

When your ready to buy LEDs go to www.aquamoonlight.com

and get 50 of the for the price of 10 at most places that way you can burn a few out without depleting your supply.

• 2 weeks later...
3gEclipseGuy
Originally posted by mcarland

Has anyone considered something like this?

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchd...asp?T1=161+1480

4" CCF made to go in a PC, so they must run off 5 or 12VDC. Looks like they would be easy to mount in a hood, and if two were too bright, I imagine one could be cut off, or maybe covered with electrical tape.

Dunno. I already ordered blue LEDs a while back, but haven't wired them yet. I may try the CCF just to check them out.

-Michael

Yeah! This looks cool and easy. Has anyone done this? Is there any risks to marine life from this type of light? I could use one of these if it is ok....

reefinspired

It doesnt matter if your adapter is rated at greater then 1000ma.

What that means is you can only DRAW 1000ma MAX FROM the adaptor.

So if the LEDS draw say 1200 ma then it would require an adaptor that can deliver that much current.

Not really. If your LEDs draw 1200 and you only supply 1000 you will just under drive them a little, and they won't be as bright.

stakx2002

Just to clear things up.... The 1000ma rated adapters will generate more than 1000ma. The rating means that is what the transformer will safely supply you with before everheating.

It all depends on how much you want to spend. If you want to pay a little more you can get a power supply that is regulated at a specific current and no matter how much you pull on it, the power supply will only supply a specific current.

• 3 weeks later...

I just set my up this weekend. Love how you can control where the beams shine. thanks for the diy.

I bought a cobby ac/dc adapter and wired it up with the original resistor in series and kept the original on/off switch.

• 3 months later...

HAHAHAHAHAHA~!!! he sChooled you ... 12 volt dc! yup hes 100% right! althought the concepts are in terms of understanding!...

Hey guys! thanks for the hints ideas i used it came out nice ... not in a pic though but in person breath taken corals are glowing bright neon green and purple and not to mention pink! =D

Just picked mine up last night at Walmart for $7 and a converter for $30 at Radio Shack. I paid way to much for that converter so I think im going to return it and get one at Frys or something. I was just to impatient last night, I wanted it hooked up, but it looks really sick, im thinking about getting another one for $7, do you think that would be too much light?

WRT the 4" CCF's, i've been running mine on my 2.5 for a few months now. Looks great - no spotlight effect like you'll notice in these LED lit tanks.

Don't buy em from the computer places tho, automotive section at walmart has em for dirt cheap (and waterproofed)

Andy

• 1 month later...
FL Knifemaker

Very cool!!! I'm off to Walmart/Radio Shack today:P

One thing that makes me wonder though...................

Who puts "MOOD" lights in their cars and what for??:woot:

• 7 years later...

Fl knifemaker haven't u ever seen fast n furious lol if u read the Spanish version its romantico lol u already know. Anyhow thanks for the idea I bought a pack of two 15in strips at o reiley auto parts 21 n some change and should have found a cheaper ad/dc adapter but I decided to go with 300ma at 9 volts. Worked perfect in my nano24. The strips are nice cause u can cut em down and the fact u get two kinda made me think I was gettin mote for my money. Just thought id share. Im an al lineman I should know ohms law by heart is it bad that I dont lol ?

Archived