inTank Media Baskets

Diy Moonlights With Pics

FISHHEAD

All,

I bought the cigarette lighter plug-in adapter that was in the auto section in Target so I wouldn't have to bother with wiring.

It was only $10.

Then I went to the cell phone section and a different model with pretty packaging was $20.

FYI.... ;)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

man, I am MAD. I just spent over an hour soldering LED's and resistors from radioshack together and my moonlights look horrible compared you yours! Mine are really dim and you can only see in the tank when the room is COMPLETELY dark :-(

Well... Did you use right register? Blue LED from radioshack is not that bright as you expected?

I have one from radioshack and it label said it is 2600 mcd LED. I think I saw blue LED like 6000 mcd somewhere else. Can't remember where, except ebay. Some guys at Ebay sure have it. Always check shipping cost before buy from Ebay. I saw something like $5 for 10 LEDs and $15 for shipping.

Originally posted by RandomLetters

Hey I bought the LED fixture and took apart the switch now i see 1 wire thats attached to the spring but where is the other one?

The other is soldered to the switch. There's a resitor soldered to the switch also. Thats what you want to hook the other wire from the power supply to.

target is just a spot at the time i was at , yes you can go to autozone,pepboys,walmart (auto section) and convert any 12 volts led if you know how ?????

hey fishhead i have the same ones as you after reading your thread, just wanted to know if you put them in the splash gaurd or abouve the water(having the chance of the double sided tape unsticking and the lights falling in?)

TIA

i am sure i can mount them easy in the hood but got to lazy to do that so i just have them on the top, but due to heat i would use a strong glue and mabye make a mount (holder) or somthing ??? if you come out with somthing you can post when your done ...good luck !!!!!

harbingerofthefish

And a little note on finding cheap adaptors.

Thrift stores.

In the electronics section most if not all have a box of wires and plugs all tossed together. It might take a bit to look through them for the right one, but most of the time they are $1 a piece.

• 2 weeks later...

El cheapo AC/DC adapters. I agree, I went to a Tru Hardware place and I asked for a universal adapter. I got one for 5 bucks, it maxes at 500mA, but it was enough for my purposes (to charge a battery jump start pack for my car that I lost the charger for)

It allows for changing of polarities, plus had all sorts of plug ends, including Sony walkman (not standard) ones. And had a nice range of voltages. Gonna get another one, just because it's so handy!)

V

I went out and bought a set of these today. They work great. I ended up buying the ac/dc converter plug for 9.99. Easier than cutting or soldering.

• 1 month later...
Cellenzweig

Most LEDs are rated to run at around 3.5v. If you are using a 12v transformer, you have to use resistors- about 390ohm I believe or the LEDs will burn.

• 4 weeks later...

Also look at how much current the adapter is putting out. 12v @ at anything over 120ma or so may blow your leds or slowly cook them to death. (4v @ 40ma per led)

I'm off to Target to see whats available here :D

BKtomodachi

Yep the resistor thing was my problem. Thats alright, this time I just left the car plug-in and soldered wires onto it aff the adapter, worked like a charm.

Has anyone considered something like this?

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchd...asp?T1=161+1480

4" CCF made to go in a PC, so they must run off 5 or 12VDC. Looks like they would be easy to mount in a hood, and if two were too bright, I imagine one could be cut off, or maybe covered with electrical tape.

Dunno. I already ordered blue LEDs a while back, but haven't wired them yet. I may try the CCF just to check them out.

-Michael

reefinspired

Just for everyones info.

It doesnt matter if your adapter is rated at greater then 1000ma.

What that means is you can only DRAW 1000ma MAX FROM the adaptor.

So if the LEDS draw say 1200 ma then it would require an adaptor that can deliver that much current.

If the LEDS draw 500ma then the 1000ma adaptor will deliver 500 ma with 500 to spare. It wont work the other way around for obvious reasons.

So the LEDS require 3.5 volts. You need to put a dropdown resistor in series with it. That resistors is where most of the current is going, I would be willing to bet. LEDs dront draw alot.

Remember, voltage is what the device requires.

Current is what the device takes from the Power source.

Just thought id help out with that tid bit :)

ghostbear29

dude your car is a/c alternating current...duh!!! the plug has to be ac to dc or direct current. look, heres a pic>

ac: - - - - - - -

dc: ________

Archived