Top Shelf Aquatics

Thinking about using an Aqua Bella AB41 Wall Mount tank for coldwater.

AquaticEngineer

AquaticEngineer

*Thought I would cross post this in here since it applys more towards the biotopes then the AIO forum*

Just wondering if anyone has looked in these systems for use in saltwater?

HERE IS THEIR WEBSITE

stainless_white.jpg

I'm quite sure no one has looked into looping one of these into a coldwater system. I've been racking my brain on how I am going to display my small coldwater inverts and fish inside my house.

I have gone back and forth over building a custom acrylic, or using my existing 27" commercial cube inside.

Well I found one of the AB41 systems here locally for a great deal and I think it would suit my situation for tank placement just perfect. Only thing I would have to do is either make a dual pane on the front, or replace it with acrylic and then loop it into the 110 gallon garage system.

Crazy, I know. Anyone dare me to do it???? :naughtydance:

AquaticEngineer

Found a guy who has one used for more than half the price of new. I'm gonna go check it out and see if its something that would work for drilling the back and hooking into my main systems. I may end up just spending the money on a custom built acrylic if this tank cant be modified to work for what I need.

AquaticEngineer

I went and looked at the wall mount tank and it is definitely cool, but its a glass tank made of 1/4". I could dual pane the front without much trouble, but I'd still have to get the back of the tank drilled in 2 spots for a drain and a return and then figure out how to insulate the backside of the tank and keep flush against the wall.

I think I could remedy the problem of the front of the tank sweating, but I don't know how I'd stop the back pane of glass that is against the wall from sweating and dripping down my wall. Maybe a thin layer of some kind of spray on insulation?

The other thing I keep thinking about is that I could probably put that $275 dollars towards a custom acrylic tank. I may end up stealing the design idea to an extent and building one out of thicker acrylic. I dont know if I could make one myself for cheaper than $275 though.

I should have my tropical reef tank sold tomorrow, and the smaller coldwater tank sold this week. So I'll have a budget of about $500 - $550 to get a tank plumbed into my larger garage system and setup inside my house.

I guess I should make an appointment with James at Envision to see what we can come up with.

If anyone has ideas or suggestions for a good design idea let me know. The tank will basically need to be a well insulated pass through tank. It wont have any filtration on it and will rely solely on the garage system.

Archived