inTank Media Baskets

47G Rimless T5/LED Hybrid SPS Tank

Sahin

Sahin - brilliant job on the setup. It's style is a lot of what I aspire towards in a reef tank. The color of the light is just amazing. I think the T5HO and LED hybrid is going to be the way to go for really great color and shimmer.

One quick question about your MP-10es. I just ordered my first one of these and noticed that you are using 12mm glass. I believe they say not to use it on more than 9mm (maybe 10, can't remember). Have you had any problems with them on this thicker glass? I'm guessing not, but would love to hear your thoughts.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sahin - brilliant job on the setup. It's style is a lot of what I aspire towards in a reef tank. The color of the light is just amazing. I think the T5HO and LED hybrid is going to be the way to go for really great color and shimmer.

One quick question about your MP-10es. I just ordered my first one of these and noticed that you are using 12mm glass. I believe they say not to use it on more than 9mm (maybe 10, can't remember). Have you had any problems with them on this thicker glass? I'm guessing not, but would love to hear your thoughts.

Thank you for the compliment. I really like the light. Everyone knows that T5 lighting will colour up SPS corals really well (as long as everything else is in order). No one can deny that LED's can throw out lots of PAR. I merely combined both into one really nice looking unit.

When all of the five T5 tubes are lit, shimmer is minimal. However, when only 3/5 are on, the LED's do provide very noticeable shimmer.

However, even though there is minimal shimmer to our eyes when ALL the lights are on, I tested with my PAR meter and with the minimal shimmer, the corals actually see around 150+/- PAR levels in the high PAR areas.

As for the MP10's, yes my glass is 12mm thick. But they work just fine. You you first align the wetside with the dry side, I just give the wetside a "push twist" action so that it causes the rubber plate on the wetside to kind of stick to the glass.

In any event, I have been using them on this tank for nearly six months and the wetside has never fallen off etc.

I didnt want to stick on MP40's as they would have cost too much, looked too big and probably would have been too powerful for my tank. The MP10's at opposite ends of the tank on 90% reefcrest mode together create excellent random flow, that builds up and down. I can see coral polyps move on every single coral.

Paleoreef103

Awesome tank! Give this tank and extra three to six months of good growth and you'll have one the best medium sized tanks I've ever seen. Seriously. Love it.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Definitely need an update. i been waiting for awhile and he is like almost the very first to do a diy hybrid Leds and T5 in a beautiful fixture of an Ati.

WOW! That tank is almost exactly like the one I am building right now (30" x 22" x 16") with equal T5 and LEDs. Your tank even has the same cabinet handles that I purchased for mine a while ago. That's crazy that I have never seen your tank before and we just happen to have the same taste in set-ups. I definitely enjoy looking at your tank for inspiration to aspire to basically replicating haha. Well done

Awesome tank! Give this tank and extra three to six months of good growth and you'll have one the best medium sized tanks I've ever seen. Seriously. Love it.

Any updates?

Hows the tank sahin?

We need an update this tank is too sick to be forgotten

Definitely need an update. i been waiting for awhile and he is like almost the very first to do a diy hybrid Leds and T5 in a beautiful fixture of an Ati.

+1 :D

Awesome and very nice build :bowdown: , update please

Just keep bumping it guys he'll have to respond sooner or later :D

i need to have that light!!!

WOW! That tank is almost exactly like the one I am building right now (30" x 22" x 16") with equal T5 and LEDs. Your tank even has the same cabinet handles that I purchased for mine a while ago. That's crazy that I have never seen your tank before and we just happen to have the same taste in set-ups. I definitely enjoy looking at your tank for inspiration to aspire to basically replicating haha. Well done

Wow, didnt realise there had been so many posts...my subscription to this thread was lost somehow.

OK, let me give you an update on the tank:

Since I restarted the tank due to Dinos, things werent going so well... I've had many previous tanks that did so well...my first tank was a nano...that I kept SPS corals in, lit under a NO T8 tubes...SPS coloured up well...never had an SPS die in the time I had that tank...

Fast forward about 10 years of experiance, add the best equipment I can get for a tank this size...and I get Dinos...and now random TN.

The other issue I've been having is major Cyanno. Honestly, the past few weeks, I've been wondering if I should give up. :huh:

But I have too much money invested in this tank. And it would leave a massive void in my life. I have a wife and two beautiful children, but my reef tank is something that is just a part of my life too.

Hence I chose not to give up. So...after retesting all the parameters and finding nothing out of the ordinary, I decided to just feed the fishes really well, carry out twice weekly 10% water changes and add nothing else beside, Ca, Alk and Mg with my Fauna Marine Doser.

I just thought I need to keep it simple and see what happens. Maybe I've been hard on my expectations.

I mean the tank is just approching 6 months, Cyanno is a common thing for tank less than a year old. Also, every single SPS frag that died (STN/RTN etc) was wild frags. My LFS's only get in wild corals and chop them up and sells the frags...The wild corals are doing fine in one of the LFS tank (which is many years mature).

So I've stopped buying wild corals. I bought 5 aquacultured frags and these are doing fine. I am getting in touch with a few buddies who culture SPS corals, and will be stocking my tank with frags from them.

Once the tank is decent looking I will post up some photos.

My Nikon D70 is very old now and so I am hoping to buy the new Canon T4i/650D soon. Once I get the new camera I'll at least post up some frag photos.

Till then, I'm keeping the tank as stable as possible and seeing how the current frags progress. Apologies for not havng posted earlier.

PS, AEFW's are so rampant over here in the UK. Every LFS I bought from had AEFW's. I now have a QT tank. Not taking chances anymore.

Exect some photos in a month or so, and hopefully tank shots in about 3 months time.

• 3 weeks later...

Need those photo's!

Funny you mention you started to get algae due to TDS on your RO unit. I should check mine for maybe the cause im experiencing.

Hey!! Glad to have you back on nano-reef!!!! Btw, what's dino's, tn and AEFW?? Thanks.

Dinoflagellate/tissue necrosis/acro eating flat worm

Sahin, I know the feeling when you've spent so much money and time getting everything just perfect for the tank's inhabitants and fail to get them to thrive. Hopefully, you can get your tank back on track. Good luck.

Deleted User 4
Dinoflagellate/tissue necrosis/acro eating flat worm

Sahin, I know the feeling when you've spent so much money and time getting everything just perfect for the tank's inhabitants and fail to get them to thrive. Hopefully, you can get your tank back on track. Good luck.

Thanks, that really helped.

Sahin, for a tip I know that could help. Getting a wrasse to eat your flat worms.

Love your tank man.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Very nice setup. I'm in the planning phases on a similar venture. Are you going to get rid of the 28g completely? If I remember right, you had one of my baskets in that tank.

Can't wait to see this rank progress. Are you planning mainly sps or a mixed reef.

Sahin, I hope this finds you doing well! My last post to your thread was back before I started up my tank. Looking back at your thread reminds me of the ideas I pulled from your tank. Hope to hear from you soon in the way of an update.

Urbaneks

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived