Cultivated Reef

47G Rimless T5/LED Hybrid SPS Tank

Sahin

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow you weren't kidding about the color. That's remarkable!

Thanks. I am really happy with the coral colour. I cant wait for the corals to grow out and the tank to mature and get a low nutrient level in the whole system. Then I know colours will be even better

AWesome start. I think in a year or so with the growout it'll be incredible.

Thank you.

Some choice livestock in your system man, will be amazing once it's grown up.

Thanks. I found a fellow UK reefkeeper who is willing to provide frags of corals not available in the mainstream UK retail. He gets the corals whilst visiting reefkeepers in Europe. So I am quite lucky to have made friends with him.

Wow, those colors are amazing, keep it up! ( what Camera/lens are you shooting with?)

Thank you. :)

I am using my trusty old Nikon D70 and either the Nikon 50mm f1.8 Prime or Nikon 18-70mm AFS zoom.

I just placed an order for a Tamron 90mm macro. :wub: I am sooo looking forward to shooting with this lens!

So expect some nicer and true maco shots in a few weeks time! :D

"liked"

Thanks! I expect you mean you like my tank haha. :lol:

CollegeNano

I am using my trusty old Nikon D70 and either the Nikon 50mm f1.8 Prime or Nikon 18-70mm AFS zoom.

I just placed an order for a Tamron 90mm macro. :wub: I am sooo looking forward to shooting with this lens!

So expect some nicer and true maco shots in a few weeks time! :D

Can't wait for those macro shots!

Man, I gotta tell you. I saw the pictures of your tank and had some Jesus el Christo's flying outta the mouth before I could close it, keep up the good work!! omgomgomg Special +1 dance for u

Amazing tank! Love the color of the SPS.

Man, I gotta tell you. I saw the pictures of your tank and had some Jesus el Christo's flying outta the mouth before I could close it, keep up the good work!! omgomgomg Special +1 dance for u

Haha, many thanks. Your is the best compliment anyone has given. Thank you. B)

Tank looks AMAZING!

Keep up the good work... I must make that kind of mod for myself, well worth the money. You can clearly see nicley colored corals!

OK, here is the video I promised. Note the following:

I had to switch off ALL the LED's otherwise the Iphone 4 does not pickup the white balance correctly at all and its just all blue. I only had the 5xT5 tubes running: Tubes were 2xBlue+ tubes, 1xFijiPink, 1xAquablueSpecial and 1xArcadia 14K - the last tube is actually orange in appearance.

If only the Iphone would pick up the colour with ALL the lights on. Anyway, hope you like the video...at least it shows that my colours are not simply photoshoped.

Thanks for watching.

Here is the link:

47G Rimless

I really wish a youtube code was available or ability to embed.

• 3 weeks later...

Bad news. I lent my TDS meter to someone and so I wasn't able to periodically measure the TDS of my RO/DI to check when to replace various bits.... I noticed a sudden explosion of hair algae and other macro algae too. Thinking this was just a normal part of the process I didn't check the water. I then had a big invasion of Cyannobacteria take over the sand bed. The cyanno then started to encroach onto some corals and even coral tips.

It was only then that I realised I hadnt checked the RO/DI water. Once measured I found I had a TDS reading of over 50!!!

I started to carry out lots of water changes once I had sorted the RO unit out. But I couldn't get rid of the cyanno. I searched and cautiously decided to use Boyd's CHEMICLEAN. The stuff worked perfectly and I didn't had any problems.

I am now doing 20% water changes twice a week to bring the water quality back up. Most of the SPS corals have browned out!

Bad news. I lent my TDS meter to someone and so I wasn't able to periodically measure the TDS of my RO/DI to check when to replace various bits.... I noticed a sudden explosion of hair algae and other macro algae too. Thinking this was just a normal part of the process I didn't check the water. I then had a big invasion of Cyannobacteria take over the sand bed. The cyanno then started to encroach onto some corals and even coral tips.

It was only then that I realised I hadnt checked the RO/DI water. Once measured I found I had a TDS reading of over 50!!!

I started to carry out lots of water changes once I had sorted the RO unit out. But I couldn't get rid of the cyanno. I searched and cautiously decided to use Boyd's CHEMICLEAN. The stuff worked perfectly and I didn't had any problems.

I am now doing 20% water changes twice a week to bring the water quality back up. Most of the SPS corals have browned out!

Im really sorry to hear that im sure in time youll be able to bring them back to the awesome colors that they were before.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

WOW !!! The colors your corals have are amazing, this is by far the best led/t5 setup i've seen so far. I want to copy your idea when I jump on the LED bandwagon.

• 1 month later...

OK, here are the PAR measurements of my ATI Sunpower HYBRID 5x24watt T5 and 24 Cree LED's @ 700mA (approx 60watts). 20 of the LED's have 80degree lens, the remaining 4 have 60degree lens.

The tank is 18" tall, 30" long and 20" front to back. The water height is 16" from top of sand to water surface.

Excuse the bad quality of the photo. For some silly reason I took the photo at an angle, but here goes:

DSC_9719.jpg

Some notes about the various numbers:

1. PAR measurements were made using the Apogee MQ-200 PAR Quantum meter. This meter underreads the PAR from narrow spectrum LED's (mainly in the blue section) by around 10-20%, so my PAR levels are probably a fair bit higher.

2. The T5 tubes, bar the actinic tube, are about 5 months old. When I put in new tubes I expect the PAR levels to increase slightly.

3. The light unit is suspended 7.5" above the waters surface. If I mount it lower, PAR levels get too high causing bleaching due to photoinhibition.

4. Numbers in RED are PAR readings on the SAND. The 175, 265,175 are right against the FRONT glass. 175's are in the extreme corners. The 390-A is the PAR in the centre of the tank on the sand bed.

5. PAR levels 1" below the unit are in excess of 2500!!!

6. PAR numbers just below the surface of the water is around 1100!

I am extremely impressed with this light modification. Since the purchase of the PAR meter, I have been looking at various PAR measurements carried out by other hobbyists and it appears that the PAR levels are in similar range to 400watt halide systems. All in all, I am very happy with the PAR levels and the possibility of supplying very good spectral quality via the use of various T5 tube combinations.

The unit has the following T5 Tubes/LED front to back:

Front:

ATI Blue+

ATI AquaBlue Special

Cree XR-E LED's: 20 x Royal Blue + 4 x Blue

KZ FijiPink

Arcadia 420nm 03 Actinic

ATI Blue+

The actual look of the tank is not as blue as the photo. It is a very nice 20K look.

Not content with modding my ATI Sunpower with high power LED's I decided to add LED "moonlights" as well:

DSC_5806.jpg

A shot showing the "moonlights" in use:

DSC_5811.jpg

awesome tank and lighting. do you have a list of your live stocks in the tank?

Thanks. When I do a big update in 3 months time I'll be sure to include a list of livestock.

love the lighting

Thanks. :happy:

Archived