SaltCritters.com

ID this nem

matt frizz

100_1906.jpg

100_1904.jpg

I know I've seen it at the LFS but it was a hitchhiker. I've been feeding it brine shrimp and it's getting bigger. Has crazy cool colors and has quadrupled in size since last year. The one I saw at the LFS was around 4 inches in diameter. Looked awesome.

I would say no to a maxi mini... in the first pic you can see tentacles protruding (easy to see on the left side of the anemone). definitely not a flower nem. it really looks like a baby plate coral, but then it wouldn't be stuck to the rock...

Definitely not a maxi mini I can assure you of that. I also do not believe that it's a pest nem. Yes the tentacles do protrude from it.

Colors are green stripes and purple body seeing as the pics aren't great.

plate corals as juveniles are attached to rocks. they drift to hard surfaces and attach when they are tiny polyps. does it have a hard skeleton?

It is DEFINITELY an anemone. It doesn't have a hard calcium skeleton at all, i've seen how it's attacked to the rock when I fed it. Plus it gets small when the lights are off. Now i've fixed some water params and replaced bulbs so it stays out at night sometimes now. Definitely photosynthetic though.

unless i've gone completely blind, that's a baby plate. i've had what i call "plate spawners" where plates will grow, fall off, and another baby plate will start to grow, and have seen many baby plates. its an attatched baby plate. just my .02

Guys please believe me. IT IS AN ANEMONE. I have seen the SAME EXACT anemone grown out to 4" diameter at a LFS and I asked "what is this anemone called" and he told me what it was called. I just cannot remember the name. Not a plate coral. The camera angles/quality is tricking you. In real life it does not look like a plate.

Any anemone experts?

Could you get a better picture? Because from the pictures, it does look like a plate coral

I'll probably tilt the rock to get a better angle. I think i may have ID'd it as a variation of Urticina Felina

2571951421_8176ae802e_o.jpg

This is not my nem but this is what it looks like except purple/green.

Right! Baby plate corals look like mushrooms with fingers, because they have 90% flesh and like 10% skeleton (off the top of my head, not actual). Then, as they mature, their skeleton catches up in growth.

Big Al's Online

Very interesting little organism you have there.

I do see that it looks a lot like a juvenile plate coral, however I suppose it could also be a type of anemone if you are sure it has no skeleton.

why'd you edit your post

lol cause I forgot the word "was" and it looked ridiculous.

I am going to keep an eye on this thread, I am honestly curious to see how it turns out - especially because I am sure it is a plate and not a nem. I have had many baby plates spawn and grow in my systems and it looks identical to a baby plate in all aspects (including the color).

Also,

If I am not mistaken, Urticina felina is a coldwater species. You wouldn't get one as a hitchhiker from live rock that was collected from tropical areas of the world.

*Edit*

Found a thread from c est ma that has a lot of close up photos of baby fungia. Scroll through the whole thing and take a look at the photos. You'll see the resemblance I am sure.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=120778&hl=

Archived