Cultivated Reef

300 LED Build

DaveFason

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If it came down to it is there a problem running a high number of LPC drivers like there is with the ELN? I need to finish this VERY soon and if I have to I may have to run a high number of LPC's ONLY if it is safe.

Thanks again guys.

-Dave

What is the danger in running lots of ELN's?

I have not tried anything after Thursday. I manage a retail paintball store and I have been beyond slammed. I have all day off Sunday so its on!

Red - There's a giant thread on RC about it but the inrush when they first turn on is CRAZY high. Running the wires to hot in your house and possibly even starting a fire.

-Dave

I'm a bit stumped why your setup won't work. The ELN should power your LEDs just fine, according to the data sheet.

You could try and connect your heatsink electrically to the case of the driver with a piece of wire. (To ground it)

Don't know if that would help any, though...

I have not tried anything after Thursday. I manage a retail paintball store and I have been beyond slammed. I have all day off Sunday so its on!

Red - There's a giant thread on RC about it but the inrush when they first turn on is CRAZY high. Running the wires to hot in your house and possibly even starting a fire.

-Dave

Updates?

Call me if you get snagged man I really don't mind helping you out. I just don't think I can make it out there until after Christmas.

Do you manage PBC over there on Battleground?

Just to update everyone...

I am going to pull my hair out! I tested for everything and anything and I still can not get this to fire! The worst part is I hooked up my LPC-35-700 in a parallel with 2 strings of 12 and EVERYONE worked fine. Needless to say I looked at the HLG drivers and considered doing the peoples elbow on them.

I'll have to wait until next week to test the drivers with how busy work will be ( Yahoo retail! ). Again I thank everyone for there input and help. I will have these working sometime!

-Dave

Only thing I can think of contributing (if it hasn't been suggested before) is try the HLG on a shorter string with less forward voltage and rule that out as an issue. However, withuot confirming actual current it's producing this can be dangerous

Yea. What I will have to do only because the person needs this this week is running four ELN in a parallel for the whites and running eight LPC for the blues. I'll have to use this on a different build. Pictures tonight of it lit. :D

-Dave

Yea. What I will have to do only because the person needs this this week is running four ELN in a parallel for the whites and running eight LPC for the blues. I'll have to use this on a different build. Pictures tonight of it lit. :D

-Dave

Just be careful. Surge currents with that many drivers on a single circuit could cause problems. The ELNs are already known for having huge inrush currents, but the LPCs are an unknown.

I have the drivers in small groups. This way the inrush is not as bad. They will be staggered when they turn on too. The lights will be placed in a business, industrial wiring and breakers so it eases my mind.

Running the LPC's in a parallel has worked great too. Keeping the strings at 350mA with 40 degree optics still have 100ish PAR from 4' away! No heating issues and super efficient.

Clive - I will buy a few of the other drivers on the next large build I have. So I'll keep in touch. Thanks for the quote.

Dustin - I will still have the HLG's and if possible I would like to meet up after the holidays.

-Dave

So after a 13 hour day in retail and waking up extra early I have been jacked up on coffee trying to finish this monster.

Here is half of it lit. This is INSANELY bright! Even at max power the heatsinks are the same as room temp.

9626cf53.jpg

:D

-Dave

Dustin - I will still have the HLG's and if possible I would like to meet up after the holidays.

I can come out for a few hours one afternoon and we can knock it out for sure. Do you think you'll have a large LED array we can test it on then as well?

Glad to see they're firing and you've got it done for the client in time. I don't think it should be too big of an issue with them staggered as you have them. Just might want to make sure they're not all being rigged through a single mechanical timer at the business.

I'd love some pictures of this thing over the tank eventually, if allowed by the client.

Lordy. After two full days at work 9-9 and then working two full nights 9-4am I am finished! This thing is INSANELY bright.

The Blues are running at 350mA and the whites are adjustable from 200mA-550mA. Everything is on quick blow fuses just in case. I dropped the unit off and hopefully will have photo's in the next coming weeks. Honestly I am just glad I have finished this. Raw finger's, millions of wire's cut, stripped, tinned and a giant mess in my condo. But as always it was rewarding once it was finished a lit.

Thanks for all the help guys!

-Dave

Congrats dave, I have been following not knowing anything what you guys are talking about, but very interested in this sick build. Would love to see pics on the tank.

Archived