SaltCritters.com

46g Bow-front Reef.

Markushka

The mollies were a project, a food source for the lionfish, they were supposed to go into a fuge that never got set up. There were more, I feel that the anemones got some. plus they eat macro, and even bryopis on occasion.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's possible I didn't mention it because they are just there while i'm not. I might have mentioned the idea in the 20 long thread a while back...

CollegeNano

I'm glad there is another member of the bow-front club. I know we all enjoy our warped front glass panes that distort every good photo opportunity ;)

Good look in tank! I wish I had not put as much rock in and went more minimalist as you have. That may be a good project for me to undertake one day!

Get back to me on those lionfish training tactics you offered.

I'm glad there is another member of the bow-front club. I know we all enjoy our warped front glass panes that distort every good photo opportunity ;)

Good look in tank! I wish I had not put as much rock in and went more minimalist as you have. That may be a good project for me to undertake one day!

Get back to me on those lionfish training tactics you offered.

Thanks, I only put as much rock in as I did because I got some free rock from a local. I was going to have less, but I liked how this worked. I need to clean up that caulerpa as soon as I get home.

As to lion training tactics, I fed my guy live WC shrimp and fish for a bit but when the collecting season I tried all the training tricks. Then I fed him fw guppies (all my lfs sold in terms of feeders) and then I started tossing in frozen guppies intermittently with live ones. I also fed rarely so he was hungry. Then I went away and told my mom to keep feeding him the frozen guppies with krill (chopped up into 2-3 chunks) he was hungry enough one day to try it and hes been eating krill ever since. I will go into a bit more depth after my exam.

CollegeNano

I took some of your advice and did not introduce any live food to my lion for a week. He finally took the frozen food today, woot!

I took some of your advice and did not introduce any live food to my lion for a week. He finally took the frozen food today, woot!

haha awesome! congrats man! wish you all the best. now that i actually see my tank in person, everything feels so small! I also need a fish to eat all this damn caulerpa! maybe another urchin tho, and a peppermint to eat all the bloody aptasia.

CollegeNano
haha awesome! congrats man! wish you all the best. now that i actually see my tank in person, everything feels so small! I also need a fish to eat all this damn caulerpa! maybe another urchin tho, and a peppermint to eat all the bloody aptasia.

I hate all of that nuisance $%&@! I have some caulerpa as well that I have to pick off the rocks too often, and more GHA that I would like. I'm going to pick up another emerald crab or 5 soon as the one I have not munched on TONS of hair algae. Good luck with your problems, haha!

I hate all of that nuisance $%&@! I have some caulerpa as well that I have to pick off the rocks too often, and more GHA that I would like. I'm going to pick up another emerald crab or 5 soon as the one I have not munched on TONS of hair algae. Good luck with your problems, haha!

I might get a tang :D a yellow one, just for a while tho.. and then give it to my friend with a 135g.

made a bit more progress with the caulerpa killing, just two rocks left and they are pretty covered. This however necessitated a rescaping.

• 4 weeks later...
Needreefunds
agreed. i have pics but i need to find time to put em up.

Oh, but you stayed up all night to study for a silly exam. I see how we rate. :P

Now for some long overdue pic updates:

3/18/2011: Clean-up time...

DSC_0014-1.JPG

FTS

DSC_0012-1.JPG

DSC_0013-1.JPG

Clowns and nem :D

DSC_0016-1.JPG

Brain coral

4/5/2011

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

FTS

DSC_0006.JPG

new porcelain

Thanks wilioli, I still think it needs a lot of work. I messed up the scape while battling the caulerpa, and now I have to fix it. I also want to add more fish and corals. But it all is going to wait til I get home in may.

• 2 weeks later...
CollegeNano

Tank is looking good. I hate caulerpa, and had been pulling it off my rock for months before it finally disappeared. My real solution for algae was putting a light over my sump which runs at night, opposite of my daylights. Worked wonders on the algae in my display, especially by stunting the growth so I could pull it out and keep it from recovering.

That frogspawn will look awesome after it grows some more heads!

THe macros went to the hex with the lionfish. An urchin went into the 46 to kill kill kill!! and yeah everything is just chilling sorta. But for the best news....

the day I get back for the summer, I'm going to pick up a 165g tank and stand. The 46 will be shut down and replaced, but not forgotten I'm not positive on what exactly I'm gonna do with everything when the time comes.

Upgrading already? You change tanks so fast.

A 165 will be awesome though. Is your family still going to be caring for it while you're away? Can't wait to hear your stocking plans.

Archived