Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sunstar's Nemesis Portal

Sunstar

Better yet.. I just took some day pics. It's a mess...25 gallon will solve this in time. this tank will be turned into a frag tank in the end.

IMG_7688.jpg

FTS. Looks like a mess.

IMG_7683.jpg

they appear a little redder than they should. or maybe they are and my lights wash them out. they are pretty little mini carpets.

IMG_7684.jpg

Like the one night shot..... my largest mini in the palys

IMG_7685.jpg

Ohai thar chalice! <3

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My AC110 was having some issues. something rough got into the impeller and was being obnoxious. so I had to take the AC110 down. I set it up before I had a real grasp on refugiums, baffles, and whatnot. SO I modified it. I will get pics of it tomorrow when I am ready to re-fire it up. I know what I am doing on a smaller scale :3

I did decide that I would bite hte bullet and make irreversable changes to the basket structure of the 110 and well the plastic structure that sits over the impeller. I have to admit, my silicon job is...crappy, but it will work. And looks better than what I had before.

Anyway. lack of filter means one lamp has to be off today. because the filter helps support it. So lack of all that, I got a nice (sort of) shot of my paly patch from above and my largest mini carpet in th emiddle of it. OH yes my mini likes it there. that is basically under the lip of my refugium, so I assume all manner of nommy goodness gets washed out and into it's hungry mouth. Since the light change, this sucker's grown. Happy carpet it is.

My blue candy cane got stung by a yellow polyp it had fallen agains :( hope it recovers.

IMG_7704.jpg

Today was like christmas.

2 types of macro algae I will get the names later.

Pulsating xenia, Black sun coral (alittle abused at the moment) and a small fox coral frag. I will get pics in a couple days when the dust settles.

I think it was a 50 watt. I just had to emergency remove it after I realised IT was teh sucker responsible for the random tingle I kept feeling in my cuts.....I had a serious issue of voltage leakage. IF the sun opens up tonight I'll get a pic of it.

WOO! this morning I was treated to a rapidly recovering black sun coral. Also my Candycane's holes all seemed to have sealed up. thanks my friend, carman, for the vitamin c. I do think it is helping its healing.

SO pics. and yes I need to clean the glass. I need more razors.

IMG_7712.jpg

FTS. Stuff is getting moved around. I need to remove some more excess... I haz frags awaiting the nano :3

IMG_7705.jpg

Black Sun coral is recovering from its abuse. I will hopefully beable to attach it to a rock or shell as a sort of anchor when I feel like handling it again. I wanted it to rest a bit, have some food and get over the shovk before handling again. It almost fed last night. It thought about it.

IMG_7706.jpg

Fox coral. (might end up in the nano.)

IMG_7708.jpg

blue candy cane. I am still watching it, but that was the side that got stung to hell. Seems like it is recovering rapidly.

IMG_7709.jpg

The halimeda I got from a local lady.

IMG_7711.jpg

Improved refugium. Admittedly it's flow is uber powerful. I need to get the chaeto back in. but I am r unning extra carbon due to stressed out corals. The screen there is the bottom of the basket. I actually cut it so it would fit on the top of the over flow. I siliconed in a support on the left hand side and siliconed the whole lot together. Worked a charm. it has baffles now and that keeps the sand out (I hope) from the impeller. pods and bristle worms can enjoy a nice place to do their thing.

I feel as if I am nano tank reborn right now. I have learned SO much more now and I am pleased with myself. There were thing, admittedly, that did not click until much later. I think half of it was the overwhelming amount of information that is out there and to start it is absolutely mind boggling and nearly too much to take in.

Thanks! Like I said it was like christmas :3

Good news for me. my rock is being shipped and my test kits should be here tomorrow. Not sure when my rocks will arrive, possibly on tuesday to wednesday. Hopefully before the holidays :3 rocks and sand :3

Thanks! Like I said it was like christmas :3

Good news for me. my rock is being shipped and my test kits should be here tomorrow. Not sure when my rocks will arrive, possibly on tuesday to wednesday. Hopefully before the holidays :3 rocks and sand :3

this is for the nemesis II right?

big issues with my heater in the tank. I fear for it due to the fact I was getting electric s hocks and had to swap out heater. my 100watt is obviously too powerful and is keeping th ewater too warm. I am having to change this out. ordered a 75 watt.

Suncoral is wanting food!

IMG_7721.jpg

Light on for a breif moment.

IMG_7718.jpg

Lights out. It's a bit slow, but at least tonight it came out for food. in a few days I'll bug it again to get it better seated onto somethign solid so it can be easier m oved/fed

• 2 weeks later...

I spent a while sifting through my Photos to find all my FTS that I had

Nemesis portal, as this history shows started its life in a 10 gallon in june after I discovered serious problems in my 5 gallon (namely leak) After crashing the tank after the move, I had to work to salvage what it was. Not that it was much of anything then.

Nemesis Portal Historical Progression

IMG_4605.jpg

June 9 2006

frontview.jpg

August 6 2009

IMG_5407.jpg

August 25 2009

IMG_5470.jpg

August 29 2009 (sadly not all frags made it in my tank at the time. but some were amazing.

IMG_5486.jpg

August 31 2009 (final major rock addition)

FTS.jpg

September 24 2009

IMG_6862.jpg

March 29 2010

IMG_7349.jpg

July 1 2010 (last pic before the great neglect)

PB011769.jpg

November 3 2010 (after my return and state of neglect)

IMG_7655.jpg

November 22 2010 (I was starting to dose stronium around the time I got the kenya tree from violet)

IMG_7688.jpg

December 15 2010

IMG_7712.jpg

December 19 2010

IMG_7763.jpg

January 7th 2011

The growth really picked up steam during the last two months after the neglect.

sooo basically its gonna take a long time for my tank to progress... lol argh

I was using kent marine nano reef supplements. Now I swapped to the big boy supplements and my growth took off. Since I have paid particular attention to the tank during the past two months, it's responded happily. SO the more you take care of it the faster your growth. I wouild not be surprised if you get good growth faster than I did.

I have been preparing for this day for at least a week or two. Hit the tank with flatworm exit. only thing is, brittle stars do not like this stuff. I moved some out.

Archived