ReefCleaners.org

Nem Fan's 20 Long Reef *New Corals Etc*

anemone fan

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice looking mandarin... is it ORA? Looks pretty chunky :happy:

Don't make fun of it, it may hear you, not ORA, but semi-trained, he at least tastes frozen mysis.

Added a container of this to the fuge to up the pods. Seeing if I can't culture some for my experiments...

DSC_3705.jpg

animalmaster6

Nice Psychadelic Mandarin, very cool.

Be careful of your Peppermint Shrimp, watch your acan lords for tissue rips and injuries. Peppermint Shrimps can be very dangerous.

Be careful of your Peppermint Shrimp, watch your acan lords for tissue rips and injuries. Peppermint Shrimps can be very dangerous.

All the Aiptasia is gone I think, I'll probably try to trade it in very shortly, just want to make sure it is all gone.

Major upload as promised. Tell me what you think.

DSC_3706.jpg

DSC_3709.jpg

DSC_3710.jpg

DSC_3711.jpg

DSC_3712.jpg

DSC_3715.jpg

DSC_3716.jpg

DSC_3721.jpg

DSC_3723.jpg

DSC_3726.jpg

DSC_3729.jpg

DSC_3733.jpg

DSC_3737.jpg

DSC_3738.jpg

DSC_3741.jpg

DSC_3743.jpg

DSC_3744.jpg

DSC_3745.jpg

DSC_3751.jpg

DSC_3752.jpg

DSC_3753.jpg

DSC_3754.jpg

DSC_3756.jpg

DSC_3762.jpg

DSC_3764.jpg

Awesome mandarin! I almost picked up a ora one today for $50 but he didn't eat or even move towards the food when fed so I got cold feet

Thank you!

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good SPS food, my acros and montis won't eat brine like my Pocillopora will?

IMG_0962.jpg

Could this be the damage of a peppermint shrimp? :angry: I sumped the bastard. Guilty until proven innocent.

Also, my zoas haven't opened since I got them from MrCoral...should I be worried, they opened a little on arrival and have been shut ever since.

animalmaster6

That acan's damage could very well be because of the Peppermint.

Mr. Coral has had a bad record of having pests and shipping out fresh glued frags. Did you dip them. Mr. Coral seems to be doing better now though.

That acan's damage could very well be because of the Peppermint.

Mr. Coral has had a bad record of having pests and shipping out fresh glued frags. Did you dip them. Mr. Coral seems to be doing better now though.

They definitely were fresh glued. No encrustation on the SPS at all. The zoas were free, but I don't want to see em die. Do you think I would be able to request them to hold the frags for a few weeks before they ship em?

animalmaster6
They definitely were fresh glued. No encrustation on the SPS at all. The zoas were free, but I don't want to see em die. Do you think I would be able to request them to hold the frags for a few weeks before they ship em?

I guess you could try that, hasn't worked before though. Search him on the forum search engine. There's a ton of threads one has like 20-30 pages.

Wow, I would want my money back for those SPS "frags". Even at $10 each I don't see how mr. coral can validate selling tiny little nubs like that.

To answer your feeding question about the SPS, I wouldn't worry about it at this point. Since thre "frags" look to not be in a fairly rough state (JMO) I think worrying about feeding them would aactually not be beneficial. While feeding you will likely foul up the water a bit and that's the last thing those nubs need. I would concentrate on keeping ppristine water conditions more than feeding at this point. Cross your fingers, those guys don't have much of a chance regardless. Please don't take that the wrong way, that's not a shot at you by any means. It's a shot at mr. coral for sending out fresh cut pathetic excuses for frags.

Good luck man.

Wow, I would want my money back for those SPS "frags". Even at $10 each I don't see how mr. coral can validate selling tiny little nubs like that.

To answer your feeding question about the SPS, I wouldn't worry about it at this point. Since thre "frags" look to not be in a fairly rough state (JMO) I think worrying about feeding them would aactually not be beneficial. While feeding you will likely foul up the water a bit and that's the last thing those nubs need. I would concentrate on keeping ppristine water conditions more than feeding at this point. Cross your fingers, those guys don't have much of a chance regardless. Please don't take that the wrong way, that's not a shot at you by any means. It's a shot at mr. coral for sending out fresh cut pathetic excuses for frags.

Good luck man.

They are nubalicious, they are growing relatively quick and some are starting to encrust on my LR. When I purchased them I didn't think they would be this small, I hope they all survive, they seem to be doing fine, most have decent PE. Three acros haven't shown PE, but I only am here during the day, they are coloring up and one is encrusting so I feel like they are doing alright, time will tell. The acans are definitely fine as are the favias. They should all be fine. B)

Anyone with experience with mangroves know how long it takes for leaves to grow? I have had mangroves in my tank for 3+ weeks and have 2-3" roots, but no signs of leaves. I want a little photosynthesis going on.

Anyone with experience with mangroves know how long it takes for leaves to grow? I have had mangroves in my tank for 3+ weeks and have 2-3" roots, but no signs of leaves. I want a little photosynthesis going on.

LOL red mangrove kinda suck that way- Mine are a few months old and they are just starting to bud out their first set of leaves. Their roots however are 12+ inches long. Meanwhile my black mangrove are putting out their 3 set(6 leaves per tree) of leaves already. i'll post a pic for ya in a little bit

EDIT: I'm still trying to figure it out,In the wild a 5 month old mangrove will look like a mini tree already. Sooner or later I'll figure it out

LOL red mangrove kinda suck that way- Mine are a few months old and they are just starting to bud out their first set of leaves. Their roots however are 12+ inches long. Meanwhile my black mangrove are putting out their 3 set(6 leaves per tree) of leaves already. i'll post a pic for ya in a little bit

EDIT: I'm still trying to figure it out,In the wild a 5 month old mangrove will look like a mini tree already. Sooner or later I'll figure it out

May have to due with nutrient availability, tidal cycles, and good ole sunlight which plants seem to love. BTW Giga update the thread, a few pictures of growth is always interesting to me, I love your mangroves.

May have to due with nutrient availability, tidal cycles, and good ole sunlight which plants seem to love. BTW Giga update the thread, a few pictures of growth is always interesting to me, I love your mangroves.

The tank is actually empty now, but I have the mangroves in a mini green house so that should have them grow faster I hope

The tank is actually empty now, but I have the mangroves in a mini green house so that should have them grow faster I hope

Out of water?

kinda there in wet sand and mud

Salty sand and mud or FW? Lots of people start aquatic FW plants out of water and once they grow large enough they submerge them, probably could do something like that with groves.

kinda there in wet sand and mud: here what I mean with a crappy pic-this is a night pic so no lights where on

minigreenhouse001675500.jpg

Nice set up, are they growing quicker in there?

------------------------------------

1/24/11: Growth Update (mostly for me)

'Groves from the bottom up

IMG_0965.jpg

My roots are starting to branch!!!

IMG_0966.jpg

Still one without roots, but has a green top, not giving up hope (maybe a late bloomer)

IMG_0967.jpg

Still no leaves :angry:

IMG_0968.jpg

Orange monti from above (east island)

IMG_0970.jpg

Lightning granulosa (east island)

IMG_0973.jpg

Acan west, from 2 fulls and 4 half polyps to 4 fulls and 2 halves.

IMG_0974.jpg

Acan east, still recovering from peppermint harassment

IMG_0975.jpg

Couple Acroporas

IMG_0976.jpg

IMG_0977.jpg

ORA green birdsnest, not sure if it is growing, can't believe I payed $10 for that (ripped off)

IMG_0979.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Update 2/12/11:

Add 2 colonies of blue Zoanthus and two colonies of "Eagle Eye" Zoanthus (due to shipping issues they are looking pretty sketchy). Ordered a GFO reactor, GFO, ATI Blue + (replacing stock blue), and ATI Purple + (perhaps replacing GE Midday).

----------------------

Thinking about adding another fish to the mix, anyone have any suggestions. I was thinking a goby or a firefish...remember I have a dragonette...

red firefish :D

or you could do a yashia haze or barbershop goby/candycane pistol pair. a banggai cardinal or two, or pajama cardinals. royal gramma?

I did have a yasha/candy cane pistol pair, and may be interested in doing it again...Cardinals bore me, they just loiter in a spot. I thought royal grammas were aggressive. Thanks for the suggestions, anyone else? Is my tank way to small for a flasher wrasse...I don't know my marine fishes.

Archived