Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Zoanthids Only *Going for an upgrade*

anemone fan

animalmaster6

Any chance I could see the lab if I'm ever up there? Sounds like a really cool place. I live south of Boston.

Awesome you added it! How big is it?

Don't know the ID except for the fact it's non-photosynthetic :lol:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any chance I could see the lab if I'm ever up there? Sounds like a really cool place. I live south of Boston.

Awesome you added it! How big is it?

Don't know the ID except for the fact it's non-photosynthetic :lol:

Sure, why not. Just give me a warning ahead of time. It is about an inch long right now, it has been growing new polyps in my 20L and seems very happy in the new tank, it opened up within the first 30 minutes being in there. The tank looks much nicer with the PC bulb rather than the incandescent that was in there before.

animalmaster6

Awesome thanks! I will definetly let you know.

Do you happen to know any tricks for catching the smaller fish around here while snorkeling or SCUBA? I plan on getting SCUBA certified next summer and will definetly start snorkeling a lot too.

That's great that it's polyps are extended. Very good sign.

Check out these links, they might help: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/1/aafeature http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-12/nftt/index.php http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-02/feature/index.php

Added the chili coral a couple days ago, fully expanded a couple hours after introduction (3x its non-expanded size!). Thinking about fragging it and placing it in different parts of the tank, perhaps 3 pieces?

DSCN1492.jpg

Wow it looks great!

I dunno, I like the idea of growing that guy into a nice colony.

It just keeps expanding more, probably around 4 inches long from 6PM-9AM, shrinks to about 1.5 during the day. Loves cyclopeeze. Also we went out and purchased a Yasha so we have something with a backbone in there finally. Perhaps a candy cane pistol will be next, either that or another non-photo, they are so hard to come by other than gorgs, which I'm leery about purchasing. Pictures will be up when I get the little fella to come out and see me.

• 3 weeks later...
Nice! How big is your Candy Cane? Looks like a female to me but I can't completely tell.

Its about 3/4" maybe? How do you sex it?

animalmaster6

The females have a much larger claw and usually have a larger stomach (you can tell much easier when they have eggs but if they have a larger stomach then it's a female)

IME when they are small it can be hard to determine their sex.

• 3 weeks later...

Update 1/4/11:

The yasha and pistol may or may not be paired. The yasha is very fond of one rock that has a tunnel inside the rock and the tunnels underneath while the pistol enjoys roaming the tank freely. One of the chilis is growing pretty quick whereas the other is taking its sweet time and is much moodier. I'm thinking about a rescape because it is way too hard to feed corals under a shelf when the shelf is almost as big as the tank, I'm sure the NPO will appreciate that, not so sure about the yasha/pistol. Been a little lazy on the water changes, raw sea water is hard to transport via bus. Will do better once the dendro comes in from Mr. Coral [see my 20L thread]. I'll try posting pictures once I move the dendro from the 20L to the 5.5.

1/10/11:

Camera died so, until I get another one this thread isn't getting pictures, bought a dendro from Mr.Coral and it is sitting in my 20L right now, no pics there either. Hopefully I can talk my adviser into letting me borrow his DSLR. Sorry for no updates. Also have seen my candy cane pistol in a while. :angry:

1/13/11:

Few pictures from 1/11, sorry about the fog, didn't clean the glass and the camera battery died.

Yasha peekin'

DSC_3828.jpg

Chilis

DSC_3829.jpg

DSC_3831.jpg

What are those red things on the bottom left of the rock, they seem to be growing...

DSC_3834.jpg

Crappy FTS

DSC_3826.jpg

If I wanted to turn this into a zoanthid tank...which I'm starting to think about doing (the girlfriend isn't too interested in the setup as of now)...what would you guys recommend for a light source...I may be upgrading to a 10 gallon soon or later so keep that in mind. I was think a 70W MH w/ 20k light.

Throw in some sun polyp corals in the tank. Will bring lots of life and color to the tank.

I have a Tubastrea in the 20L I was going to move to this tank, but decided against it, the tank is either coming down or becoming a zoa tank...

• 1 month later...

Archived