Coral Vue Hydros

Drew's 40 Breeder

Drew220

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Well my Tailspot went missing shortly after adding the Golden Dwarf Eel to the tank. I have not seen him in three weeks so I guess hes gone. Bummer.

Then I came home the other day to find my Golden Dwarf Eel dried up on the floor. He escaped through a small opening on the screen top. Crap. I will never purchase another one of those.

I have added a Sunburst Anthias to the stock list. Hes been doing great so far.

I added a few new frags of coral. I hope to get pictures soon, but currently have a horrendous outbreak of hair algae. Turbos and emerald crabs are hard at work right now and a clean up crew from reef cleaners is on the way.

Sorry to hear about the blenny and eel. Ive been thinking about a tailspot but I already have a lawnmower blenny and dont think they would coexist.

Drew - that to bad about the eel, I had a snowflake eel for almost a year and he jump out my of tank on a hot day when I lived in Sacramento, CA.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been awhile since I updated. I had a hellish outbreak of hair algae during the first part of December. It looks like the tide is finally turning in my favor and the algae is subsiding. I added 2 Emerald Crabs, and turbo snails to help control it. I manually removed as much as possible, added Chemipure Elite and performed a bunch of water changes. For some reason some of the coral in my tank is pissed off. I can't detect a thing wrong with the water. IDK :unsure:

Some of the new inhabitants include:

Blue LaniNem omgomgomg

IMG_3231-Copy.jpg

Sunburst Anthias. Love this guy :wub:

IMG_3215-Copy.jpg

Mutlicolor Angel. I like him, but I think he is a nipper. :angry:

IMG_3233.jpg

Lavender Shrooms courtesy of Lani. They look fantastic. Thanks Lani

IMG_3225-Copy.jpg

ORA Plum Crazy

ORA Borealis

Aquadelight

Sunset Montipora

More pictures.

My clown decided to host the GSP

IMG_3236.jpg

Dendro. It had more heads but I had a die off in my old tank.

IMG_3217-Copy.jpg

IMG_3228-Copy.jpg

drew, did you ever decide on a protein skimmer? i am going crazy myself.

Yes I did I went with the Eshops PSK-100H. It's working great.

How do you like the FNI light? I've been considering an upgrade to a 40B with one as well...

I like it. Works like a charm. Would definitely buy again. Light bulbs that come with it are crap though.

I decided to go with the Eshops PSK-100H skimmer for my tank. I have had it running since last Tuesday and it has already pulled some nasty gunk out of my tank. It's pretty quiet for a skimmer.

IMAG0112.jpg

Skimmate after three days.

Very happy with it and it's not to expensive. Highly recomend it.

thanks for your reply bud.

that was/is 1 of the 325 that i have been looking at ;)

seems like for every good review there is a bad 1 with all the skimmers i am looking at.

does the 100 take a lot of space in the tank?

is it an eyesore?

any chance of a tank shot?

by the way i have a 30 breeder and not sure if it would be too long for my tank.

thanks again for your help.

i really think i have it narrowed down to the aeroforce and yours.

i liked the aquamaxx but the part that it doesnt fit on a normal rimmed tank drove me away.

I decided to go with the Eshops PSK-100H skimmer for my tank. I have had it running since last Tuesday and it has already pulled some nasty gunk out of my tank. It's pretty quiet for a skimmer.

IMAG0112.jpg

Skimmate after three days.

Very happy with it and it's not to expensive. Highly recomend it.

thanks for your reply bud.

that was/is 1 of the 325 that i have been looking at ;)

seems like for every good review there is a bad 1 with all the skimmers i am looking at.

does the 100 take a lot of space in the tank?

No not at all. Just the return and input line is visible.

is it an eyesore?

The cup sits up a little above the tank but I don't even notice it.

any chance of a tank shot?

I will try to get one tomorrow.

by the way i have a 30 breeder and not sure if it would be too long for my tank.

Should be fine. I have a good 5-6 inches of space between the bottom of the tank and the skimmer body.

thanks again for your help.

i really think i have it narrowed down to the aeroforce and yours.

i liked the aquamaxx but the part that it doesnt fit on a normal rimmed tank drove me away.

Hoped that helped. :)

Hoped that helped. :)

big help drew.

i noticed the 2 black pipes on that skimmer and didn't know how bad they looked in tank as far as sticking out.

thanks again for your help and look forward to reading your updates.

ps..also, i notice in your pic you have something on top of the adjuster tube. is there a reason?

and i have read where some take off the blk sponge on 1 of the tubes to prevent overflow. did you have to do that?

big help drew.

i noticed the 2 black pipes on that skimmer and didn't know how bad they looked in tank as far as sticking out.

thanks again for your help and look forward to reading your updates.

ps..also, i notice in your pic you have something on top of the adjuster tube. is there a reason?

and i have read where some take off the blk sponge on 1 of the tubes to prevent overflow. did you have to do that?

If you remove that sponge be prepared for millions of microbubles. I clean it every few days. I just have a small cap over the adjuster tube because it made a little running water noise and it bothered the wife. It was not noticeable to me.

If you remove that sponge be prepared for millions of microbubles. I clean it every few days. I just have a small cap over the adjuster tube because it made a little running water noise and it bothered the wife. It was not noticeable to me.

a big 10-4 on the wife thing :)

thanks again for your time.

• 7 months later...

It's been along time since I have updated. My second son was born in March and my Mountain Bike race season started up in April. Needless to say I neglected the tank big time, and the skimmer was down for a few months. My filter also craped out on me. I almost lost everything. Money was tight since daycare was running me about $450 a week (this was the cheapest I could find in my area). Some days I only had 10 bucks in my checking acount.

I was thinking about taking the tank down and getting out of the hobby for awhile, but I could not bring myself to do it. Luckily I was finally able to secure cheaper childcare so I can now afford to keep the tank running.

I'm back at it now. In the past two weeks I have performed two 10 gallon water changes and one 15 gallon water change, and brought my skimmer back online. The corals are already looking a hundred times better and coloring back up.

On another note my dendro has grown tremendously and the Tyree Idaho Grape Montipora is now about the size of a large dinner plate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived