Innovative Marine Aquariums

Drew's 40 Breeder

Drew220

After fooling with the tank for a couple of days, I have made a decision to ditch the sump and go with two Aqua Clear HOBs and a hang on Remora Skimmer. The drain is just too loud for me and my wife. I just want to keep it simple for now. I will just plug the bulkheads just in case I want to use them again.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:mellow:

Dude... that sucks... Why not just drill the bottom and run a Herbie? No noise and no worries!

I would love to do that, but I'm tired of building stuff and just want to get his thing running. Plus my wife works from home and due to the second baby we had to move her office downstairs next to the tank and she doesn't want the sound of a toilet next to her when shes on the phone.

The Carribean Dry rock is here!!!! Wow is it nice, full of nooks and crannies, very porous. This is good quality stuff for $2.50 a pound. Very Happy with the service from ReefCleaners.org. Jon literally answered my emails within 10 minutes of sending them. I will definitely be ordering my cleanup crew from them. Enough talk here is some pictures.

35 lbs of rock

IMAG0074.jpg

IMAG0075.jpg

IMAG0076.jpg

I will be using a Aquamaxx HOB-1 Hang on Skimmer or a Reef Octopus BH2000 HOB skimmer. Which one do you guys think will be better?

Aquamaxx

Hang_On_Back_Protein_Skimmer.jpg

http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx_HOB_1_...SHONW-0-vi.html

BH2000

ocpopus-hang-on-1000-back.jpg

http://www.customaquatic.com/estore/contro...S-CVOCT-BH-2000

I like the surface skimmer of the Bh2000 but the aquamax has a better pump, bubble plate and will not overflow.

Hi Drew...

I'm sorry your overflow plans didn't work the way you expected. Did you talked to the guys at Gl#######s.com?

What they told you?

I seen other builds were people has use the nano max overflow, but I don't know if they are noisy as well.

I been running my first saltwater setup a BioCube 14 for over 18 months and now I'm planning an 40G Breeder upgrade.

I started collecting my equipment and so far I got a Aqua C Remora w/ Maxijet 1200 and prefilter box, and Ecosystem HOB fuge. I order my RO\DI unit from Spectrapure last Friday and got dry rock from BRS.

All I need is the tank and lights. For lights I plan to get a Finnex DL series 4 X T5/15 X LED combo and probably later get aquacontroller Jr.

I'm very interested how your build will turn out now that you change your mind and you're going HOB like me... Good luck! Keep your updates comming...I'm reading.

My Fish Need It T5HO 4 bulb lamp came in today. It's not to bad of a unit for $130.00. Came with mounting legs, and a acrylic cover for the bulbs. Cords are a little short, but overall I'm very impressed with it. I will be swapping out the stock bulbs for some aqua blue +.

IMAG0078.jpg

IMAG0077.jpg

Just need to work on the scape a little and it's ready for action.

My Fish Need It T5HO 4 bulb lamp came in today. It's not to bad of a unit for $130.00. Came with mounting legs, and a acrylic cover for the bulbs. Cords are a little short, but overall I'm very impressed with it. I will be swapping out the stock bulbs for some aqua blue +.

IMAG0078.jpg

IMAG0077.jpg

Just need to work on the scape a little and it's ready for action.

Looking nice. Where did you find the plans for the 2x4 part of your stand before you skinned it? It looks really simple but sturdy.

I'm going to echo the sentiment of a few people in the thread, but you will be kicking yourself later when you wish you had a sump. I don't know if I've ever heard of anyone that has drilled the sump and put in a quiet overflow lamenting the fact that they have the sump.

Looking nice. Where did you find the plans for the 2x4 part of your stand before you skinned it? It looks really simple but sturdy.

I'm going to echo the sentiment of a few people in the thread, but you will be kicking yourself later when you wish you had a sump. I don't know if I've ever heard of anyone that has drilled the sump and put in a quiet overflow lamenting the fact that they have the sump.

Oh well it was either do this or not have a tank at all. I can add back my sump at any time. I'm very pleased with the Aquaclear 70. It has enough room to fit all my filter material, its quite and puts out some good flow. Plus in my house space comes at a premium since I do not have a garage. The extra space for buckets and fish tank supplies in the stand is an added bonus. As long as I keep up with my water changes I should not have any troubles.

Oh yeah I also placed an order for the Spectrapure CSPDI-90 system. Even though I have a unlimited supply of free lab grade DI water at work, I need something at home for emergencies.

Nice job so far. FWIW, I ran my 40B sumpless and skimmerless for a little over 1&1/2 years and had very good results with just an AC70 running floss and chemipure elite. If you have not purchased your filters yet, I would go with one AC110. Upkeep on two filters will be a bit of a pain and really not needed. I would also recommend the surface skimmer attachment for the Aquaclear.

I recently added a sump and a skimmer and am very happy with the added water volume but I would not hesitate to run a 40B again without a sump. I would recommend 20% water changes per week and running a shallow sandbed that can be vaccuumed.

If you ever decide to try the GH overflow again, if you lift the horizontal baffle in the box on one end so it is at a slight angle and the majority of the overflow water goes to one side of the box you will decrease the noise. Then get a sponge filter (like those that come with AC filters) and cut off 1/2" thick sheets of this sponge to fit lay inside the overflow (laying horizontally across the length of the box), it really makes a difference. You can get like 20 sheets of filter sponge out of one sponge so you have lots of extras to swap out.

In any case, the setup looks good. Good luck with it!

Thanks Greech!!. If my wife did not work directly beside the tank i would run the sump. I tired the sponge method and it did quite the overflow a bunch. I'm just going with one aquaclear 70 and a HOB skimmer for filtration.

Finsihed the scape today. The Caribbean reef rock from Reefcleaners.org really stacks well. What do you guys think?

IMAG0079.jpg

IMAG0080.jpg

I went with one long scape vs the two islands to maximize the amount of space for coral.

Looks good!

I wrote to you a few days back..had a couple of questions for you. Anyways...I'm going to try the two islands scape...when the time comes.

Did you cure this rocks or you bought them pre-cured? Please keep us update about your parameters and algae growth. I'm very curious...

Looks good!

I wrote to you a few days back..had a couple of questions for you. Anyways...I'm going to try the two islands scape...when the time comes.

Did you cure this rocks or you bought them pre-cured? Please keep us update about your parameters and algae growth. I'm very curious...

I did not cure the rocks. I have not performed any testing yet besides salinity.

Looking good. I like the scape. I'm running an all HOB setup on my 40b and so far so good. Sorry to hear about the sump issues, but I think you'll be happy enough going sumpless.

My new toy came in the mail yesterday. No more lugging buckets back and forth to work :)

IMAG0083.jpg

Can't wait to hook it up.

I've also moved the majority of my coral over to the new tank. They all seem to be very happy with the increased lighting.

Looking good!! Great job on making the stand! Are you hooking that R/O unit right up to your fish tank as auto top off system?

Thank you! I wish I could do that, but I do not have a water supply line or drain near the tank. I will be hanging the unit in the laundry room and connecting it to the cold water supply for the washing machine via a splitter. It was the least invasive and easiest option.

These things are really simple to hook up. I did my under my bathroom sink so I can fill my containers up in my shower. I have a problem of forgetting that I'm filling up containers it goes a little slow.

Thank you! I wish I could do that, but I do not have a water supply line or drain near the tank. I will be hanging the unit in the laundry room and connecting it to the cold water supply for the washing machine via a splitter. It was the least invasive and easiest option.

This is exactly how I did it as well...though I don't have that nice spectra unit!

These things are really simple to hook up. I did my under my bathroom sink so I can fill my containers up in my shower. I have a problem of forgetting that I'm filling up containers it goes a little slow.

Yeah....I've forgotten a few times and had a very wet washing room!

This is how I've got my Typhoon hooked up also...it's in a wall cabinet in the laundry room. I'm lazy though so am going to run the output down through my crawl space to a water container w/ float valve near my tank in the office.

Your tank is looking good!

Made a mesh top tonight for the tank. It does not fit across the whole tank due to the filters. Not to hard to make at all.

IMAG0088.jpg

Ordering a Reef Octopus BH1000 skimmer this weekend. :)

Full tank shot. Almost done with the coral and fish transfer. Parameters are all good so far.

IMG_2929.jpg

IMG_2926.jpg

My new tailspot. Such an awesome fish.

IMG_2919.jpg

Tyree Idaho Grape Monti. I grew this from a frag the size of a quarter that I purchased 6 months ago. It's now bigger than a softball.

Archived