inTank Media Baskets

Biocube29 - first fish tank!

Fluffeh

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a BC29, very sucessful BC29 at that. It's set up as a reef tank and currently have over 30 frags of coral and larger pieces as well.

1st the bioballs, get rid of them, they WILL increase your nitrate production and cause issues.

2nd, Remove the sponge from chamber three and replace it with filter floss.

3rd, install the media tray and add a fugue light to the back of the tank for the Chaeto.

4th, install a Tunze 9002 doc skimmer in the 2nd chamber next to the media rack from intank.

5th, complete the cut to allow additional flow from chamber 1 to chamber 2.

6th, make sure that your lighting is adequate as far as the spectrum goes.

7th, none of this is nessessary if not going the reef route.

8th, that guy august or whatever is a prick, ignore him, he probabbly has goldfish in his BioCube.

I agree except for 2nd.Remove the sponge and leave it out with no filter floss. You have floss already you don't need more.The pump will suck it up and it will end up floating in the display.Scrap 3rd and go straight to 4th :D Screw a fuge in a 29 biocube.WC and the Tunze will do you just fine.

+ 1 to this.

Well... except my skimmer is going in chamber 1 :P

A Tunze 9002 is going to be in chamber one. If you have that biocube skimmer toss it in the trash and save some electricity. ;)

Unplug your skimmer, wait about 5 min, the bubbles should be gone.

hmm. why would the protein skimmer be causing microbubbles? did i waste my money on the oceanic protein skimmer? (i do get a whole collection cup full of yellow disgusting water every 2 days)

ill give it a shot and see what happens.

i currently have a oceanic circulation pump, but i've noticed most people are using the koraline... is the koraline smaller? can i place the koraline against the back wall? (the oceanic is only suction cup and won't stay against back wall) which koraline should i get? (i noticed a koraline nano, koraline 1, koraline 2, etc.)

thanks you!

hmm. why would the protein skimmer be causing microbubbles? did i waste my money on the oceanic protein skimmer? (i do get a whole collection cup full of yellow disgusting water every 2 days)

ill give it a shot and see what happens.

i currently have a oceanic circulation pump, but i've noticed most people are using the koraline... is the koraline smaller? can i place the koraline against the back wall? (the oceanic is only suction cup and won't stay against back wall) which koraline should i get? (i noticed a koraline nano, koraline 1, koraline 2, etc.)

thanks you!

You definately wasted your money on that skimmer. Second, it's korilla. Also did you unplug the skimmer or air pump to see if the bubbles stopped?

A Tunze 9002 is going to be in chamber one. If you have that biocube skimmer toss it in the trash and save some electricity. ;)

I didn't go ALL out on the skimmer... I got an AquaticLife Internal Mini Skimmer 115 instead. But it's still going in Chamber 1 regardless. I'm going to use StevieT's Fuge/Media rack in chamber 2... I'm a Chaeto/fuge guy. Getting and installing the skimmer just to do it and see if I need it.

You definately wasted your money on that skimmer. Second, it's korilla. Also did you unplug the skimmer or air pump to see if the bubbles stopped?

just got home from work so im gonna try unplugging it in a sec.

why did i waste my money on that skimmer (well if i find out thats whats causing the bubbles then ill find my answer shortly)? what is a better choice (and not overly expensive) that could fit in the first chamber? do i even need one?

ive seen pictures of the koralina circulator pumps attached to the back wall of the biocube - how does this work? my oceanic circulator pump (uses only a suction cup) does not stay on the back wall... also, which koralina should i get for my BC29?

thanks!

ditch stock oceanic skimmer. and best for money skimmer is aquatic life mini skimmer. koralia pumps have magnets and suction cups. u put magnet on inside of back chamber. it holds perfectly fine. mine is attached to back wall.

the microbubbles... i turned off the skimmer and waited for a few hours with no change. so i decided to stare at the return pump (hydor flo) and i noticed every couple of minutes it shoots out a burst of bubbles!!!! there's gotta be air coming into the pump/return somewhere so im going to take it apart tomarrow and take a close look. hopefully i can solve that issue.

i hope its not the hydor flo as i love the thing and lots of people say it works fine in the biocube.

koralia pumps have magnets and suction cups. u put magnet on inside of back chamber. it holds perfectly fine. mine is attached to back wall.

awesome, ill have to order one. do you know which one i should get? the koralina nano/1/2? if you have a link that would be great. thx guys.

if you follow the fill line on side you getting air in near top elbow going to display. it will slowly build up air then when the bubble gets big enough in there is get blown out. (reason you get a burst every once and a while. i advise making some saltwater and just filling up 3rd chamber

if you follow the fill line on side you getting air in near top elbow going to display. it will slowly build up air then when the bubble gets big enough in there is get blown out. (reason you get a burst every once and a while. i advise making some saltwater and just filling up 3rd chamber

i see, so just fill the 3rd chamber completely full? i talked to someone at oceanic and they said to try putting the water level midway between the MAX line and the top.

I really hope this solves the microbubble mystery im having.

Archived