Coral Vue Hydros

Biocube29 - first fish tank!

Fluffeh

I have a BC29, very sucessful BC29 at that. It's set up as a reef tank and currently have over 30 frags of coral and larger pieces as well.

1st the bioballs, get rid of them, they WILL increase your nitrate production and cause issues.

2nd, Remove the sponge from chamber three and replace it with filter floss.

3rd, install the media tray and add a fugue light to the back of the tank for the Chaeto.

4th, install a Tunze 9002 doc skimmer in the 2nd chamber next to the media rack from intank.

5th, complete the cut to allow additional flow from chamber 1 to chamber 2.

6th, make sure that your lighting is adequate as far as the spectrum goes.

7th, none of this is nessessary if not going the reef route.

8th, that guy august or whatever is a prick, ignore him, he probabbly has goldfish in his BioCube.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8th, that guy august or whatever is a prick, ignore him, he probabbly has goldfish in his BioCube.

hahaha i couldn't help but laugh at that.

update on what is in my tank -

(6) blue legged hermit crabs

(1) long tenticle or bubble tip anemone [not sure which one it is quite yet :X]

(2) Percula clownfish

(1) Linkia Starfish

the only real issue i have right now is these little particles (im now thinking they are microbubbles) and i can't seem to figure out why they are there - i did install a hydor flo but i dont think any air is leaking out as the adaptors that came with it provided a nice fit (however there is one skinny little plastic tube i dont now what it is that came in the box). im going to check everything tonight to see if there's any air coming in. hopefully these bubbles will go away.

besides that, if i went with the filter floss route (as shown in the sticky in the forum), do i need to put carbon in there too? if so where and how? -- im waiting for the replacement filter cartridges i ordered as no one around here carries them ;\

thanks guys!

I do not use them at all, I have in the first chamber, a heater and my ph probe, second chamber has the intank media basket with chaeto, next to the media basket is the tunze 9002 skimmer, third chamber has the filter floss, that's all. Sometimes I will run some activated carbon in the second chamber inside the media basket on the top tray, but not often.

As far as your tank having micro bubbles, your second chamber may be low on water, if it's low and the water is falling from the drip tray to the passage to the third chamber, then yes they are micro bubbles, take a flashlight and shine it into the third chamber, look at the sponge that's in place, look for the small bubbles coming thru the sponge, could very well be.

I my opinion less is more and the best way to keep you tank healthy is with weekly water changes and a good clean up crew to eat up whatever is left behind by your fish. i have had 2 cubes in the past and loved both of them. I tried everything. sometimes trial and error is the best way to learn. Like previously stated each tank is diffrent and you should see what works for yours.

Lol, each tank is different, but all the same when set up for a reef. I'm sorry but running bio balls will not make for long term care of corals. I have a biocube 29, I have modded the lighting with 30 LEDs, I've upgraded the stock return pump, removed the stock filtration methods and installed the media rack, skimmer, ive removed the tab to give additional flow, this is what it takes for a BioCube to support a reef long term IMHO. I'm getting ready to buy the new 40 rimless tank with overflows built in and run an external fugue, my new tank will spectacular.

i just removed the hydor flo tonight and put the stock back on to see if maybe that was causing some air bubbles to get in the tank, gonna see if anything changes tomarrow or if its not microbubbles i dunno :x

can anyone with a hydor flo tell me if one of the adaptors is sufficient or could that be causing microbubbles?

Are you people trying to be cute.There are a lot of peole on this forum who voted for Obama too. Does it make it right? Do you see where Im going with this? What did my reply say? What are water changes for? N I T R A T E S . A wet dry filter provides more and Im saying it again, more nirtrafing bacteria which isbeneficial to the fish and sea life . It also puts more oxygen in the water, hence less stress on the fish. Yea, you get nitrates but thats what water changes are for! You test the water for nitrates. Then do you water change. Test it again.

If the floss is clogging, guess what? Its doing its job! Its working! You just take it out and rinse it and put it back in.You change the carbon once a month, typically. The carbon even brings the pH up Naturally.Don't use tap water. If something works , you stick with it! 25 years ! Get it. .Don't add chemicals to the water as well. What Im saying is:sometimes less is more.

Lol, each tank is different, but all the same when set up for a reef. I'm sorry but running bio balls will not make for long term care of corals. I have a biocube 29, I have modded the lighting with 30 LEDs, I've upgraded the stock return pump, removed the stock filtration methods and installed the media rack, skimmer, ive removed the tab to give additional flow, this is what it takes for a BioCube to support a reef long term IMHO. I'm getting ready to buy the new 40 rimless tank with overflows built in and run an external fugue, my new tank will spectacular.

Yes my friend, You said it. Each tank is different. But what Im saying is if you bought a biocube you bought it for what it is. Why chang it.? In my opinion it cost way more that way your going. If you like to mod then get a regular bare tank and buy the suitable equiptment for what plan you have in mind. Thats all Im saying. I have a biocube and I will only get what could go in a biocube other wise I wouldnt have bought a biocube.Remember. its a nano reef. If I change my mine down the road Ill sell it and go with something else. Pumarjr. you over indulge, thats why you keep adding and then modding. From my understanding your the kind of person where enough is never enough. Am I a little right? LOL

You are a BEAUTY! Watta Arsehole! Look, it's obvious that the OP does not want your NIRTATE advise, the only thing you've said was DO A WATER CHANGE, Duh!, do you think that after you mod your BC that you no longer need to do them? You act like you are the only one saying DO A WATER CHANGE, but actually, he needs to not do one for close to a month, that will allow the nurtrifing bacteria to set up in his tank. Look, just go away.

PS: post a picture of your Goldfish Tank.

lol.... seems like my thread on this forum is getting hostile again *cough* augustus *cough*

sooo.. anyone got a hydor flo in their biocube 29 and can tell me if one of the adaptors is sufficient? do i need to do any modification? what is this extra little plastic tube peice that came with it, its not even in the instructions or anything... anyone know what this is?

pics of biocube coming soon :D

still trying to figure out what these little specks (microbubbles?) are...

sooo.. anyone got a hydor flo in their biocube 29 and can tell me if one of the adaptors is sufficient? do i need to do any modification? what is this extra little plastic tube peice that came with it, its not even in the instructions or anything... anyone know what this is?

pics of biocube coming soon :D

still trying to figure out what these little specks (microbubbles?) are...

i remember reading on previous threads that he hydor flow may add micro bubbles. using the search forums option under the Forums button up top will allow you to scour the threads. I recommend typing: +hydor +flow and then click the > search titles only box.

You are a BEAUTY! Watta Arsehole! Look, it's obvious that the OP does not want your NIRTATE advise, the only thing you've said was DO A WATER CHANGE, Duh!, do you think that after you mod your BC that you no longer need to do them? You act like you are the only one saying DO A WATER CHANGE, but actually, he needs to not do one for close to a month, that will allow the nurtrifing bacteria to set up in his tank. Look, just go away.

PS: post a picture of your Goldfish Tank.

Ah, did I touch a nurve? You post a pic of your million dollar photoshoped tank. with your fake corals! LOL No, I do not have a gold fish tank. Gold fish need lots and lots of room you Imbecile! They produce tons of waste. I had gold fish 30 years ago when you weren't even a brown stain on the matress! So go back to you dorm, hole, apartment , or wherever you come from and stop pussing. You probably don't even know what that word means. All I was sayng was you could spend a fortune when all you realy have to do are water changes! Thats it! No skimmers that take out the proteins in the tank! ( unless you masterbatting in the tank!)Led Lights, now thats funny. What are we at a stop light? Good old fashion tank! Thats it! Peace!

ShaneFromFlorida
Ah, did I touch a nurve? You post a pic of your million dollar photoshoped tank. with your fake corals! LOL No, I do not have a gold fish tank. Gold fish need lots and lots of room you Imbecile! They produce tons of waste. I had gold fish 30 years ago when you weren't even a brown stain on the matress! So go back to you dorm, hole, apartment , or wherever you come from and stop pussing. You probably don't even know what that word means. All I was sayng was you could spend a fortune when all you realy have to do are water changes! Thats it! No skimmers that take out the proteins in the tank! ( unless you masterbatting in the tank!)Led Lights, now thats funny. What are we at a stop light? Good old fashion tank! Thats it! Peace!

all i got from this is that you're a stubborn old man who likes to talk down to people

im sure everyone on this forum would advise water changes... thanks for your insight

Sad old man, lonely, alone and fore most an crabby dork! What's wrong, mommy didn't hold you enough as a child? Daddy, hurt you in some way? Now that you and your ranting has completely taken over this guys thread with completely useless information, may you go on and find a new thread to molest and inject with your nonsense. Wait, let me guess, Do A Water Change, Right? The cure for all!

lol wow... i dont know what to say about all that above but...back to the fun hobby of reefing.. :lol:

tonight i decided to take the anemone out of the tank (it was shriveling up and shedding a bit) so i got him into a good container and to a friends fish tank where he opened up. i guess the pet store that sold him to me forgot to tell me how to feed him and take care of him ;\ oh well, at least he's in good hands now and won't die and kill off my tank.

i also performed my first 25% water change :) anyone have any recommendations on how to 'stir up' the sand to get the detritus out? i used the turkey baster to clean off the rocks a bit. since this was my first water change it was a bit awkward but im sure ill get the hang of it.

now if only i could figure out what these microbubbles/dust particles were ;\ still can't figure that out.

are the bubbles on the rock? or coming out of your pump return? if they are on the rock it is probably from algae, if they are coming from your return, check the water level on the side of the tank. If the level is below the "Minimum" line then you just need to top off your tank with some fresh water or maybe saltwater depending on your last water change...

are the bubbles on the rock? or coming out of your pump return? if they are on the rock it is probably from algae, if they are coming from your return, check the water level on the side of the tank. If the level is below the "Minimum" line then you just need to top off your tank with some fresh water or maybe saltwater depending on your last water change...

the bubbles dont appear the be on the rock, nor do they seem to be coming out of the pump return (i stared at it for almost an hour last nite lol) - i could be wrong and they may not be bubbles at all... im just not sure :( whatever it is, its being blown around by my circulator pump in the water and they do tend to rest on the surface of the water too. i always keep the water levels between minimum and maximum so that can't be it. im just baffled ;\

I have a BC29, very sucessful BC29 at that. It's set up as a reef tank and currently have over 30 frags of coral and larger pieces as well.

1st the bioballs, get rid of them, they WILL increase your nitrate production and cause issues.

2nd, Remove the sponge from chamber three and replace it with filter floss.

3rd, install the media tray and add a fugue light to the back of the tank for the Chaeto.

4th, install a Tunze 9002 doc skimmer in the 2nd chamber next to the media rack from intank.

5th, complete the cut to allow additional flow from chamber 1 to chamber 2.

6th, make sure that your lighting is adequate as far as the spectrum goes.

7th, none of this is nessessary if not going the reef route.

+ 1 to this.

Well... except my skimmer is going in chamber 1 :P

HAHAHA oh wow this was a interesting thread..... But now to the topic... I have a Biocube 14 and I am running a slightly upgraded pump not sure which one I removed all the stock crap that came with it. I have a few inches of LR rubble with some chato or whatever its called in chamber 2. I did a DIY CFL fuge light for under $15 screw the one coralife sells for over $50. I also cut the tab between chambers 1 and 2 for more flow. I dont run a skimmer might in the future. and lastly I have about 25lbs of rock in my tank plus whatever rubble is in chamber 2. Good luck with your tank.

I'd remove the lr rubble in chamber 2, it will be a detritus factory soon, there are a lot of mixed feelings on keeping LR Rubble in the rear chamber. I did it and soon removed it as my levels started going south as well as the production of hair algae was becoming an issue, I removed the rubble and put the chaeto in it's place and my setup has never been better for it.

Archived