ReefCleaners.org

Pong's 20L College Reef

awpong

As long as you're adding the wrasse last, I can pretty much assure you that it won't be fine.

won't be fine? so no?

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

will*** sorry. That was a large typo hahaha. I can pretty much assure you that it WILL be fine! Sorry for the mix up.

Edit: I fixed it.

What kind of filtration does this tank have? Do you run a skimmer?

No skimmer. I do have a DIY 2.4g HOB fuge filled with cheato, but that's about as far as my water quality maintenance mechanisms go. That and biological filtration.

Every now and again I'll throw in some filter floss and a bag of activated carbon to the fuge, but not too often.

• 3 weeks later...

HUGE UPDATE!

Part 1:

FTS: 5bfc93cc.jpg

Alright, so since my last update I've gotten a few new things. First, I bought an orange and green ric, which are both about to split.

519d946a.jpg

I also installed a Aqua Remora C HOB skimmer... that is currently hanging on the back of my HOB fuge.

ea7aa610.jpg

And here are various other pics of stuff in my tank:

6403b6e6.jpg

477b3856.jpg

5eda7bb4.jpg

b61ddd63.jpg

I also plan to finally start switching over to Reef Crystals. As soon as my purple bag is empty, I'll begin the switch.

cf50ca0c.jpg

Part 2:

I'm also in the process of setting up my Dwarf Lionfish tank. I purchased a 40B a while back at the beginning of Petco's sale, and I painted the back of the tank this afternoon.

d8b827b8.jpg

2cb2c45e.jpg

d842338a.jpg

This weekend I was at the store and saw this little bugger:

98d3489b.jpg

Soon he, or one similar, will be mine. I'm still planning on either 2 or 3 dwarf lions in the tank. Either 2 Fuzzies, a MFF group of Fuzzies, or one Zebra and one Fuzzy.

I'll start a build thread for this tank soon I guess.

I like your 20, looks good.

Where are you gonna set up the 40b initially? Next to your 20 in the bio department or will you wait for the school year to start before you set it up?

I like your 20, looks good.

Where are you gonna set up the 40b initially? Next to your 20 in the bio department or will you wait for the school year to start before you set it up?

I'm waiting till the semester begins. No point now in setting it up now just to move it in two months. I'm already dreading the moving process to transfer the 20L across campus :angry:

I'm just now starting to gather the pieces for the 40b so hopefully I can start the cycle as soon as I move in. Just bought my lights tonight.

I'm already planning for the tank's next move. Sometime in either late August or early September, this tank will have to be moved out of the Biology Department and back into my dorm for the year. My question is whether or not I should replace the sand. When I moved the tank into the Biology Department, I used a new bag of live sand. Therefore, by the time of the move, the sand will be about 4 months old.

Do you think enough nutrients would have built up in the sand over the course of 4 months to warrant it's full replacement during the next move? Or could I be safe with keeping the current sand? There's approximately 20lbs of live sand in the 20L tank (less than 1" of sand).

what do those colonies run at your LFS... trying to get an idea of how mine prices...

thanks...GREAT pieces by the way...

sweet acros!

what do those colonies run at your LFS... trying to get an idea of how mine prices...

thanks...GREAT pieces by the way...

sweet acros!

Thanks, I got them at a $50 SPS sale. They had 150 colonies of SPS for $50 each.

sexy tank is sexy.

Thank you. All of my new colonies are doing really well today and have pretty decent PE. The two acro crabs that I got as freebie hitch hikers are also doing well it seems. I don't know how long they'll be around for though, my six line wrasse has been trying to pull them out of their shelter.

Thanks everyone! I do dose magnesium, but that's mainly to help me battle my bryopsis, which has pretty much disappeared completely. Also, I'll occasionally do a some calcium, about once a week depending on how long it's been since my last water change. Now that I've added a skimmer to my tank, I only perform water changes every 1.5-2 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my Tunze Osmolator today in the mail. I love it! Although it hasn't had a chance to really kick in yet, I already love the comfort of knowing I won't need to do any more manual top offs :)

b5799a01-1.jpg

7345cdcd.jpg

82f5d089.jpg

23c90b2b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
tanks looking great

and your midas still looks gorgous

unlike my scrawny little bugger :(

Thanks, and yea my blenny is a beauty. I'll post more tank updates once I move my tank into my house. I'm waiting until after this hurricane passes. I've currently got the tank set up in the bio department still with my mp10 plugged into the buildings generator.

Thankfully I took that precaution, because the building has been without power since 5pm this afternoon. Hopefully the tank will be fine with just the mp10 running. I'm hoping there won't be any temp issues.

Here's a picture of the tank after I moved it into my dorm room. It's still a little cloudy from the move, but I'll do a water change either tomorrow or thursday and hopefully everything will be back to normal.

I also plan on getting a new camera. Well... an actual camera as opposed to my cell phone. So hopefully I'll be able to post some better pics of the tank.

2ce59e27.jpg

I don't know which scape I like better. If you'll notice, I installed a preskimmer for the AquaC Remora

Archived