Pod Your Reef

Using kalk on a nano tank!

1fishmonger

I apologize but there is no site because I don't pay to advertise here. I don't see any sponsor's who carry the GHL Profilux line either. So I am going to post a link for the manufacturer where you can buy directly from them and not go through a retailer.

This link is to the system I recommend for you. You will see some less expensive "dosing pumps" on the site but they only work with the Profilux controller so don't buy them. You can also add up to 2 more pumps on this unit and (If I remember correctly) 2 more not on this chassis:

http://www.ghl-direct.com/proddetail.php?prod=547834

The bottom line OP is that on your size tank using Kalk is a *BAD* idea. The reason its a bad idea is that the chance of something going horribly wrong is far too high.

I agree somewhat with this, but a lot depends on how you dose Kalkwasser. If you have a concentrated reservoir of Kalk with the potential of it all entering a tank at once, then yes that's too much of a risk. A pre-mixed, diluted solution is much more forgiving.

Overall Kalk is overkill in anything smaller than 40 gallons that is not SPS only.

As to my own experience I was up to 60 ml a day in one tank but that tank was WAY heavy on SPS and had several clams in it. Normally a Nano sized tank with a fair mix of SPS, LPS, and a clam should be safe with weekly water changes of 10%+ using a good high quality salt mix as DH points out. Sometimes though if you are seeing growth spurts you may need to supplement, as I did, due to uptake of the Ca and CaCO3 ions being higher.

Each tank is different, but after the first 6 months of operation a 10-15% WC (Reef-Crystals at the time) was not enough to maintain my CAL/ALK in my 12g, so I started adding Kalkwasser in my ATO. I now use H2Ocean and I still need about 1/3 Kalkwasser in my ATO to maintain optimal levels in my mixed reef tank. For over two years I haven't had to add anything but Kalkwasser to maintain CAL/ALK, but I do occasionally have to add a bit of Mg.

I think that Kalkwasser has its pluses and minuses, but for me the pluses win out.

I agree somewhat with this, but a lot depends on how you dose Kalkwasser. If you have a concentrated reservoir of Kalk with the potential of it all entering a tank at once, then yes that's too much of a risk. A pre-mixed, diluted solution is much more forgiving.

Each tank is different, but after the first 6 months of operation a 10-15% WC (Reef-Crystals at the time) was not enough to maintain my CAL/ALK in my 12g, so I started adding Kalkwasser in my ATO. I now use H2Ocean and I still need about 1/3 Kalkwasser in my ATO to maintain optimal levels in my mixed reef tank. For over two years I haven't had to add anything but Kalkwasser to maintain CAL/ALK, but I do occasionally have to add a bit of Mg.

I think that Kalkwasser has its pluses and minuses, but for me the pluses win out.

I really appreciate that feedback and thought. What pump are you using for your ATO with kalk water in it? I was thinking that I could put the ATO on a timer to only run at night and when the lights are off to minimize the risk of a pH spike.

I use kalkwasser on my 25g and have from the start. I have a moderate demand (seagrass really likes alkalinity) and relatively high evaporation, so it works well. Plus, since I don't do water changes often at all, nor do I have a protein skimmer, I don't have to worry about increases in salinity over time. Up until a certain demand, it is actually the most inexpensive means of supplying calcium and alkalinity. I simply mix in a reservoir, allow it to settle, then siphon off the supernatant liquid into my ATO reservoir, where it pumps the rest. I kept an eye on pH initially to make sure the amount wasn't too much, but it worked out just fine.

I use kalkwasser on my 25g and have from the start. I have a moderate demand (seagrass really likes alkalinity) and relatively high evaporation, so it works well. Plus, since I don't do water changes often at all, nor do I have a protein skimmer, I don't have to worry about increases in salinity over time. Up until a certain demand, it is actually the most inexpensive means of supplying calcium and alkalinity. I simply mix in a reservoir, allow it to settle, then siphon off the supernatant liquid into my ATO reservoir, where it pumps the rest. I kept an eye on pH initially to make sure the amount wasn't too much, but it worked out just fine.

What pump do you use for the ATO and how long has your tank been up?

I really appreciate that feedback and thought. What pump are you using for your ATO with kalk water in it? I was thinking that I could put the ATO on a timer to only run at night and when the lights are off to minimize the risk of a pH spike.

No pump. I use a gravity fed system (see my tank link if you are curious).

No pump. I use a gravity fed system (see my tank link if you are curious).

Nice little set up you got there. Unfortunately a gravity fed system isn't as aesthetically pleasing as one small tube into the tank :) Still, though..Nice set up! I've considered gravity feeds before but could never come up with a practical way to hide the reservoir

I use kalk on my 34g solana. 3tsp in a 6g resevoir. ATO drips it in with an aqualifter pump and filter...

In doing this - Is there any film on the surface of the water in the ATO that needs to be avoided? Or stuff on that bottom that shouldn't go into the tank?

Thanks for the reply k

Archived