SaltCritters.com

jdl's pico

jdl

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drift Monkey
ive been stung or bit by damn near everything in the atlantic ocean, nothing compares to this. i was lucky enough to pull my glove off and remove the spine underwater. they are an invasive species to florida, you are encouraged to eradicate while diving. they actually taste really really good. im never messing with one again though.

Wow, that sounds terrible. I wouldn't mind eating one though...:P

Maybe next you can get hit by a smasher/spearer mantis shrimp. :haha:

Drink up, friend.

OUCH!!!!! Pics? Lol jk. That sucks man. Hope you start feeling better soon. I just dropped in to say what's up and to see what's new. I'm likin the new frags and that sucks about the blastos. I would have killed my sexies if they went after my blastos like that. Oh btw check out my thread I think you'll be pleased to see what has happened :happydance:

Id be careful someone in japan died off lionfish soup that wasnt properly filleted or cooked.

i have heard stories like that around the world. we just clip off all spines and fins with shears, gut, batter and into the fryer whole. i would not say it is the best tasting fish (tilefish, and black bellied rosefish take this), but it is pretty good. the thrill of being exotic and poisonous prob contributes to its tastiness. not much to look at for pics, my index finger is just really swollen and red. we shot some video during the dive, if it goes on youtube i will post link here. you can see how the lionfish have overrun the reefs. they are taking over...

never noticed, tastes like fried fish. i have only eaten it fried. im not a big fan of cooking reef fish any other way than fried. pelagics and inshore fish i will eat blackened, grilled, raw, whatevs. never had puffer fish, some bahamian friends of mine swear by it, and barracuda too. im good on the ciguatera though...

hand healed up good, but im pretty sure it was infected. i have been out of commish with a nasty fever the past week or two i forget how long its been. nothing new with the tank, the upgrades i had planned are put on hold for the moment. the older i get the more i question how effective the "man up" method is with being hurt or sick. although it doesnt cost nearly as much to "see how it goes", id rather pony up the loot for antibiotics, right away next time.

so all of my chaeto died, from who knows. i think my xenia forest killed it more or less. stuck 3 mangroves in my ac70, removed two and planted in backyard freshwater canal. my ac70 had turned into some kinda nasty green algae farm. so i got rid of the fuge light, until i can get more chaeto. i cant believe how many lfs there are around me, and no one has chaeto for sale. i swear there is a chaeto conspiracy down here... single mangrove has new sprouts and root system is growing well. algae is almost all gone from filter. havent taken any pics lately, but will as soon as the lights come on. all other tank inhabitants are rocking out. i have a serious pod population problem, and am considering another type of goby to help this.....

*edit

i just fragged the main branch of my orange digitada. the encrusting gorgonian was choking it out. frag is in its new home

Drift Monkey
so all of my chaeto died, from who knows. i think my xenia forest killed it more or less. stuck 3 mangroves in my ac70, removed two and planted in backyard freshwater canal. my ac70 had turned into some kinda nasty green algae farm. so i got rid of the fuge light, until i can get more chaeto. i cant believe how many lfs there are around me, and no one has chaeto for sale. i swear there is a chaeto conspiracy down here... single mangrove has new sprouts and root system is growing well. algae is almost all gone from filter. havent taken any pics lately, but will as soon as the lights come on. all other tank inhabitants are rocking out. i have a serious pod population problem, and am considering another type of goby to help this.....

you cans send the pods my way! :P

Mr. Microscope

Damn jdl! Your tank is bad-ass! It's reef-tastic!

Those shrimp look happy. What do you think of the sympodium? How long have you had it?

thanks man! the sympodium is my new favorite coral. i got it about three weeks ago, i was @ my fave lfs and they had a large piece in a bc14 or something like that. the frag i have was broken off and in the corner of the tank. when i asked the guy about it he said what frag? so i like to tell myself i scored... or my lfs has amazing marketing skills. so far the sexies have left it alone. the polyps have doubled in size.

not sure, down here "rare" stuff is pretty common. it helps living near one of the largest ports in the carribbean/se usa. i havent seen too much of the sympodium though, that could be due to lack of awareness of the organism.

Builder Anthony

Do your ricordea ever extrude brown syuf out of there mouth.Mines been acting like that on and off.I had a little build up of things and it shriveled but i let the water sit 3 days and it came back halfway full.I did a small water change and i noticed it spiting out the brown stuff in a small amount.Im just curious if you ever see that.I have a orange one simalar to that.

Thanks.

very nice tank. :)

thanks

Do your ricordea ever extrude brown syuf out of there mouth.Mines been acting like that on and off.I had a little build up of things and it shriveled but i let the water sit 3 days and it came back halfway full.I did a small water change and i noticed it spiting out the brown stuff in a small amount.Im just curious if you ever see that.I have a orange one simalar to that.

Thanks.

no brown stuff, i have seen whitish stuff coming out from the mouths. almost like they are throwing up their stomachs or gut. i asked about it on nr a while ago, i forgot the answer though.

Archived