SaltCritters.com

jdl's pico

jdl

no idea. it was eating like crazy. fed it cyclops/roger reef plus, witnessed it swallow and poop a lot... increased my h2o changes to compensate feedings. i think it was pretty bad when i got it, but wanted to revive it and be a hero. screw it fish suck anyways, unless they are on the end of my flyrod.

rescape

DSC02213.jpg

also ive been taking a photo timeline of my coralline to see if the leds promote growth. so far it looks like the coralline is booming.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

added water bottle ato, eh not sure i really like it. we'll see how it goes. more upgrades coming next month. and theys a gunna be schwwweeet. im about to step my pico up to the next level.

*edit

the tubing i got for the ato, came on a "gravel vac" siphon system. used the siphon for a water change and this thing is awesome! no more dipping the cup into the tank, and i can suck the water from where the detritus is most concentrated. should have thought of this before.

also got some new zoa frags and a frag of sympodium pics later

:ninja:

*edit

day off tomorrow, going fishing in biscayne bay. will be picking up some mangrove seeds for the tank, as well as doing some recon dives on some wrecks and reefs for future stocking plans on next tank...........

bad weather sucks for kayaking... changed photoperiod to 4on 8off 4on 8off

you must have faith in my photo period for some reason then? I think Micro's is the same, but he may have changed it back, I forget.

you must have faith in my photo period for some reason then? I think Micro's is the same, but he may have changed it back, I forget.

yeah im trying to mix things up with my tank. it has been doing the same thing for almost a year and a half now. im looking for the perfect height/photoperiod for my system. i really want to start all over again with this tank and go sps only.... those are just pipedreams though.

Im running a very similar photoperiod and it seems to be working for my tank. I have seen great growth and color from my corals. I originally got the idea from Mr. m as well. Has your coralline continued to thrive?

hey are you dosing to get that coralline?

never dosed anything in this tank. just 30% weekly wc's.

Im running a very similar photoperiod and it seems to be working for my tank. I have seen great growth and color from my corals. I originally got the idea from Mr. m as well. Has your coralline continued to thrive?

i think so, ive been taking a photo journal of the corralline growth. it seems to be growing significantly faster than when i had pc lights.

i think so, ive been taking a photo journal of the corralline growth. it seems to be growing significantly faster than when i had pc lights.

I'm jealous. I wish I could figure out why I cant grow any.

No. When I first started my tank I was getting pink and dark red spots all over my rock but they have disappeared and I can't figure out what I'm doing different.

give it another 3 months picodope. and dont sweat it. I used base rock in my 10 gal nano and it took really long to show coralline growth.

Really nice tank jdl! Congrats on keeping her up and running for a year...hopefully I get there. B)

thank you!

*edit

added 3 mangroves to my tank. spent the day down in biscayne national park fishing and diving. ive been wanting to build another tank. i am going to do a florida only biotope. i cant decide between a seagrass/macro planted or shallow reef.

How much do you notice your sexy shrimp munching on your corals? Mine love this one Zoa frag and if I forget to feed one day then they are over there picking at it. Tank looks awesome by the way.

thank you! my sexies eat the crap out of my zoa skirts. they have almost wiped out an entire brown zoa colony (kinda glad cuz they was ugly and grew like weeds). i feed them twice a day now. i have also increased the feeding for corals, so they eat then as well. i think power feeding them is the way to go, but you must increase water changes to compensate. i am in the process of adding some upgrades that will allow me to power feed my tank, and still maintain stability. hopefully...

can barely see those blastos. looks nice otherwise.

they were pretty much gone, but ever since i changed my photoperiod to the almighty micro's plan. erryting is looking much better for them. (insert that smiley thingy that bows in reverence towards mr. micro and newman)

*edit

a few people on here have asked me about this. i took a photo journal of my coralline algae since the day i switched to led. growth has boomed since. im not gonna upload the pics(they really suck), but led's definitely increase coralline growth. it has actually become a pain in the ###. i have to scrape twice as much now.....

and of course dont forget the clever fellow who developed the whole lighting period (whose name escapes me atm..)

New frags look awesome! Your tank looks nicely filled with the life!

thanks!

i think my blastos have completely disintegrated. my buddies took me out spearfishing today for my birthday. ended up with an index finger impaled by a lionfish. through my kevlar rubberized dive gloves, out the other end and into my middle finger. my hand feels like someone is driving a nail through it. thank god for beer. if you have lionfish in your tank be careful you dont want this.

Drift Monkey
thanks!

i think my blastos have completely disintegrated. my buddies took me out spearfishing today for my birthday. ended up with an index finger impaled by a lionfish. through my kevlar rubberized dive gloves, out the other end and into my middle finger. my hand feels like someone is driving a nail through it. thank god for beer. if you have lionfish in your tank be careful you dont want this.

Holy crap...did the venomous spine hurt like hell? :o

my hand feels like someone is driving a nail through it.

ive been stung or bit by damn near everything in the atlantic ocean, nothing compares to this. i was lucky enough to pull my glove off and remove the spine underwater. they are an invasive species to florida, you are encouraged to eradicate while diving. they actually taste really really good. im never messing with one again though.

Archived