Pod Your Reef

29g AGA Build Pics

BennyFrank

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Solid setup BF. The lighting fixture is a perfect compliment to those bulbs. The scape is fantastic as well. Should look amazing with some acros.

For the bulkheads, I actually always run a bead of silicone around the outside gap b/t the glass and plastic as added protection. Since I don't plan to move them anywhere it's a cheap way to earn some peace of mind.

Thanks DHaut. Acros are definitely in the plan but it will most likely end up a mixed reef.

The bulkhead leak was user error I believe as I think I may have overtightened it causing a hair-line crack. The new bulkhead has not leaked to date :D. I have a plumber friend (also a reefer) who says if he ever comes over and sees silicone on my bulkheads, he will :slap: me. He claims it can degrade the seals/plastic over time and won't help anyway if water has already seeped past the internal gasket. I know a lot of people do it w/o issue though.

Very nice!

:D

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry... I haven't been here lately. The tank is doing good and the algae bloom is completely gone. I've added a few "tester" corals to see how they do. The monti cap and trumpet are growing and doing well. The birdsnest is growing and has good polyp extension but is fading. I just received my skimmer in the mail (Bubble Magus NAC3+). It ran for 4 hours before the pinwheel impeller broke :angry:. The distributor is sending another one in the mail but now I'm a little worried about the quality. Here is the most recent fts that I have. This was while I was acclimating the new corals; they have since been moved onto the rockwork.

DSC_0382edit.jpg

i recently got the BM NAC3+ and at first the thing didnt seem to pull anything out but after a few days it was pulling out a cup of dark skimmate almost every day. i'm pretty happy with it although mine didnt break on me B)

I am diggin the tank. Love the rockwork and design. I want to add that this is probably the best looking light design using Par38's as most of them are pretty horrid looking.

AWESOME! I am soooo jealous of those PAR38s that is one sexy setup for them. If I move on from the MH I know where I am going.

Funny thing is I took a break from drilling my 29 with a 700GPH glass-holes overflow :D. You have given me some serious inspiration and motivation!

Thanks!

Forgot to mention I only have the space to run a 10 Gallon sump. I used acrylic without any issues so it may have been the volume of water in the 40b.

Thanks for the compliments everyone! I must have searched at least a hundred lighting websites looking for a fixture I liked for the PAR30s and didn't really find anything. Then one day I went to menards for something else and stumbled on this one for $37 bucks :D It's nice too because each lamp is on both a swivel and a pivot so I can aim them anywhere I want. Here are a few more random pics;

60 Diode 4W LED bulb for refugium

fugeled.jpg

Amphipod

copepod1.jpg

Copepods

amphipod.jpg

Montipora capricornis

monticap.jpg

A couple more from the fuge;

Spaghetti Worm

spaghetti.jpg

Bristle Worm

bristle.jpg

I really love this tank. Just the kind of ideas that inspire me.

What size bulkheads and locline did you use for your returns and may I ask where you bought them from? Do you get good flow from them?

Nice clean set up.

:)

I really love this tank. Just the kind of ideas that inspire me.

What size bulkheads and locline did you use for your returns and may I ask where you bought them from? Do you get good flow from them?

The returns (2) are both 3/4" from glass-holes. I bought (2) kits and excluded the hole saw on one of them. They work great, especially if you plan on drilling your own tank.

As far as flow... it's enough for surface agitation but the main flow in the display tank comes from the MP10. The returns are on a SCWD wavemaker so effectively, it's only one 3/4" return. I also feed the fuge with the return pump via 3/4" PVC. The pump is rated at ~500gph, and after headloss I am probably getting ~350 gph total. Seems to work well to keep enough water fed to the display and enough flow for the fuge without any other sources. For what it's worth I did try the (2) 3/4" returns on a T, without the SCWD, and it wasn't sufficient.

Your tank is dope sir

B)

AWESOME! I am soooo jealous of those PAR38s that is one sexy setup for them. If I move on from the MH I know where I am going.

Funny thing is I took a break from drilling my 29 with a 700GPH glass-holes overflow :D. You have given me some serious inspiration and motivation!

Thanks!

Forgot to mention I only have the space to run a 10 Gallon sump. I used acrylic without any issues so it may have been the volume of water in the 40b.

I'm glad I could motivate you... wish I could do the same to myself sometimes :lol: Let me know if you have any questions about the overflow kit or anything; this was my first time drilling a tank (or any glass for that matter) but I learned a lot. I think you're right about the volume in the sump and the acrylic failing. The refugium is about 20g and it was just too much for the 1/4" acrylic/silicone to hold. I think acrylic would be fine in glass sumps if it were holding back smaller amounts of water, like bubble-trap baffles. In my opinion, it's worth it to find a local glass shop to cut the pieces vs. using acrylic though.

btw, I cracked up at your avatar. I did my own edit on that pic awhile back... My little brother got married a few months ago and one of his engagement pictures looked just like (unintentionally) the original one from the internet . So I put them side-by-side and posted it on his facebook page :D:D:D

zachnr.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Absolutely stunning. Please fly over to england and scape my tank ;)

If you kindly provide for my airfare, I will be there. I will even supply the rock B)

update?

The tank is pretty much on autopilot now except for water changes and general maintenance. Below are some pics of new additions since my last update.

McCosker's Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri)

mccoskers1.jpg

mccoskers2.jpg

Screen top to keep him in ;) I have since painted the frame black.

screen.jpg

Acropora sp.

acropora.jpg

Pocillopora sp. with commensal crab

pocillapora.jpg

Favites sp.

brain.jpg

And a couple of the refugium...

1a.jpg

1e.jpg

zenia.jpg

• 8 months later...