Top Shelf Aquatics

How to remove Red Macro Evil Algae

StevieT

I'm dealing with the same kind of algae, and have been slowly winning the war thanks to a couple of Turbos and a reasonable big quantity of Chaeto, but the algae is still very much noticeable in my tank.

I'm growing impatient and want to get rid of this stuff quicker.

The Kalk paste solution caught my attention, but here Weetabix recommends taking the rock out to apply paste, whereas Bird recommends appying it inside tank. I guess the difference is if rock has no corals attached to it that would come under some stress if taken out, left out for a couple of minutes, rinsed and then brought back inside tank.

If this is not the case which of the two would be more effective in killing this stuff?!?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Corals can handle being outside of water for 1-2 mins.

They're often out longer than that when getting fragged.

This is actually the exact same method I use to kill aiptasia.

I've done it several times over the last few months to pieces that had corals on them and they were all fine.

I personally think it is potentially more stressful to tank inhabitants if you do it in the tank cause the kalk has the potential to nuke the tank if not extremely carefully by someone who really knows what they're doing.

Here's what I would do.

Pull out the rock it is on and remove as much as you can manually.

Then make a paste out of kalkwasser and water and spread the past over every place it was growing.

Leave the paste on for 1-2 mins, then rinse off with SW or clean FW and return to the tank.

That should take care of it.

I did this just because picking at it would have taken forever and not really worked well enough. Not to mention the proximity a lot of corals. Add in the time constraint of moving and resetting up a tank and stress that goes with.

It looks pretty nuked today, pail color or completely gray/white. I will get a good CUC going since mine is lacking after 3 years of never restocking. Thanks for the tips everyone will keep it posted on the progress.

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

So far it only disturbed the turf algae. But like you said let's wait a week to find out. Rock is just rock so I can't see it doing much harm, I was going to lose coralline with the move anyway.

Corals are fine, they got full of it. Clam didn't even mind much, she opened up minutes after being back in water.

I tried burning with hot water and it did work. I took one small rock with gelidium. It also has some watermelon zoa. I heated tap water in microwave and used turkey baster to drop couple of drops at the geledium patch which is very close to watermelons. I was careful enough not to get the hot water on zoa. Put the rock back in the tank and the hotwater applied gelidium turned orange and then white. I think it is dead. I will do this to couple of other rocks. Yes, this will kill the organisms in the local vicinity. Mexican turbo I introduced last week doesnt touch this algae. :( I guess it is too strong for him to yank out.

I have got rid of the algae by growong cato and replacing my light bulb it, there is still some on the rocks that do not get direct light but it is nothing that a couple of emerald crabs cant take care of. Dont boil rocks unless it is a last resort,it is allways better to use natural way to get rid of algae. But the Kalk idea does sound intreasting,better than boiling the rock.

3 day update:

The paste burnt and totally bleached an area of an acro that it came in contact with.

It killed one Acan, boom totally melted and gone.

So far that is what I can report to not use it next to. Now the acan was being drown out by the red algae so what can you do but try. The acro was a small frag of a larger collony and is still fine up top where it did not come in contact.

Algae looks seriously devastated by the paste. It light in color, dead and the crabs are feasting.

I updated my CUC and purchased an emerald crab.

Red turf algae is the worst and you have it bad. I havent been able to completely eradicate it in 3+ years but manually removing it got most of it and now one large turbo keeps it in check. Only stuff left is in cracks in the rock.

Good luck. Maybe you can find the magic potion to kill it all.

I really dont think that emerald crab helps in combating this algae because this aglae roots from the center of your live rocks... Since i took down my entire tank due to over grown gelidium aglae and flat worms, i have broke into some of the live rocks and the center has the root of the algae. Sure maybe mexican can eat off the surface of the rocks but the main source is not eradicated. I think Stevie's paste works in that it burns the root as well.

Please keep us updated on the parameter of the water.

oh yeah, Pasta probably works if this algae has now taken over every piece of rock or false wall of your tank. If it has, i doubt it would work. You probably gonna cause a major change in parameter by applying paste on every rock which will cause a major swing in nitrite level.

I have it also just added 2 mexican turbos. On the lookout for a tuxedo urchin. no one has them locally around here. If this does not work I will be replacing my rock.

microwave for 20 seconds if you are at the nuking stage - works for sure gets spores too if present

edit - nevermind i can see you are trying to save the other side of the rock.

I did burn one rock with a MAP gas torch. That was fun. Sparked, started on fire, smelled lovely. Dead

I am going through a mini cycle anyway from the paste process/move/setup.

Needreefunds

Mexican turbo snails worked well for me, unfortunately they seem very short lived in my tanks. <_<

After making a huge dent in the algae- yet with seemingly plenty still to feast upon- they only survive a couple months at best. :(

Keep up the fight buddy, please do keep us posted.

I did burn one rock with a MAP gas torch. That was fun. Sparked, started on fire, smelled lovely. Dead.

roflmao :haha:

thanks stevie needed that.

• 2 weeks later...

Red turf algae is completely gone. Turbos actually took care of a few red pieces that were still around. Entire CUC devoured dead areas. The paste works and was the way to go during a tank move. Pics to come.

bluefunelement
Red turf algae is completely gone. Turbos actually took care of a few red pieces that were still around. Entire CUC devoured dead areas. The paste works and was the way to go during a tank move. Pics to come.

cool - I will be doing the same soon as I switch tanks - do you have any concern doing this to larger rocks all at once or shall I do one every few hours and watch the PH meter?

I didn't have time for a PH meter so I do not know, a little less than 1/2 of the rocks received some paste and the tank is doing very well now. I have been doing biweekly water changes since to manage any mini cycle caused by the new set up and this process.

I just found this thread.

Anyways, I used to have half my rocks covered with this stuff. And I liked the added color since I don't have many corals yet.

Then I got a yellow tang.

Now I have none. :ninja:

• 1 month later...

when caught new before its taken over, fire burning is effective here's before and after pics on top of a little isaurus polyp. I literally burned for a second right on the zoanthid, it shed some skin and was withdrawn for a week and then just fine. I just pulse zapped the algae with a blue jet flame lighter using a piece of folded tin foil pressed right up against the coral! it'll work on that clam too

this fire removal is fast because you don't have to mix up a lot of things or test for anything if you catch the sprouts when brand new/emergent

post-138-1292336719_thumb.jpg

post-138-1292336727_thumb.jpg

post-138-1292336739_thumb.jpg

post-138-1292336752_thumb.jpg

I wanted to give an update to this process.

100% of the turf algae is still gone, it has been a 100% success. I did lose a few corals as noted and a few that were dinged in the process are recovering. All in all it was the only true way to give it the knock out punch, thank you to all for the ideas you have saved my tank which you originally created.

So in conclusion you were all responsible for the clean up you created, you take 100% responsibility for creating the introduction of the algae and will be receiving a bill for the massive cleanup process.

I demand banner ads on this site promoting your sincerity with nature like background and soothing music playing on my speakers.

Mexican turbo snails worked well for me, unfortunately they seem very short lived in my tanks. <_<

After making a huge dent in the algae- yet with seemingly plenty still to feast upon- they only survive a couple months at best. :(

Keep up the fight buddy, please do keep us posted.

they are a coldwater species whose range ends in california/baja region, that is probably the cause. Try a different species of "turbo" next time. Any herbivorous snail with that size that isn't a conch will have the necessary cutting power to eat the same things the Mexican turbo could. At least all the ones I can think of in the hobby...you know..both of them...:)

Archived