Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Diogo's First Salt

Diogo Matias

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where did u get the chaeto from? I've always found it difficult to get chaeto in NL ...

I get it from other portuguese reefer who had a fuge full of this. Try in NL reef foruns, must be some?

I'd like to post some news.

I found today the first signs of life! No more words, only a photo!

PrimeirosCorais-Zoas.jpg

Might be zoas?

Also I made the first water tests:

pH ~ 8

kH = 8,3

NH3 < 0,25

NO3 = 5

PO4 = 0,25

Other parameters:

Density = 1,026

Temperature = 24 - 26,5ºC (maximum range)

• 3 weeks later...

Some news:

The cycle is almost completed. At least I'm unable to find neither amonia neither nitrites and nitrates are bellow 0,5 ppm.

Also I started the building of my ATO. It's almost finished so I'll put pics in here soon.

The last new is the biggest: the light finally arrive :D

Lampadaecaixa.jpg

Lampadaenviusada.jpg

LampadaLateral.jpg

LampadaTopo.jpg

And here an photo of it's colors:

LampadaLuz.jpg

I need now to buy a nice support for the bulb!

Feel free to comment!

Just to show two macros of some LR hitchhikers.

The zoas seems to like the Led light: full opened!

WildZoa.jpg

My feather duster also opened...

FeatherDuster16-10-10.jpg

My light comes from an China ebay seller. I asked him to modify it to have 2 blue leds instead all white.

It has much cheapper than the cheapest that you could find in US. The quality could be not so good as an US ou European bulb, but for me, and for what I want it's fine.

Newman, the feather duster it's really cool, but it's really timid. It's almost closed and hided. <_<

• 2 weeks later...
Any shots of your full setup? I'm interested in how high you have the light from the water.

Hi,

The tank still not in his final location. Also I don't have yet the bulb support I wanted, so I'm using some DIY fixture. So, the tank actually looks like this:

FTS01-11-10.jpg

I'm getting the firt algae. Need to get some CUC.

Diatoms.jpg

Get the first non-hitchhiker coral: GSP. Not all polyp are extended yet because I only get it friday.

GSP01-11-2010.jpg

Best regards,

Diogo

Watch out for that GSP....it will take over all the tank if you let it. A lot of folks will isolate it on a rock on the sandbed so it does not spread all over ALL of your rock!

Watch out for that GSP....it will take over all the tank if you let it. A lot of folks will isolate it on a rock on the sandbed so it does not spread all over ALL of your rock!

Thanks for your advice!

I'll keep one (or both) eye on it!

no way that GSP is taking over. thats the kind I have (i can tell by the mat shape, its got no polyp stubs when its closed). Thats a really annoying GSP to own, I hope you can keep him healthy!

no way that GSP is taking over. thats the kind I have (i can tell by the mat shape, its got no polyp stubs when its closed). Thats a really annoying GSP to own, I hope you can keep him healthy!

Why you said that it is annoying? It's hard to keep?

It survived two days in a bag with great temperature variation... next day it showed his polyps... two days after entering the tank I take the photo. :lol:

yes i think its very hard to keep for a long time. mine was fine and dandy for a few months but then it started to get all whiny and wouldn't open or the polyps wouldn't extend all the way or w/e. its a whiny **** species of GSP xD

I would be glad if you could keep it alive and well long-term and have it conquer your tank(or w/e you want it to grow)

in my tank i have put that GSP EVERYWHERE once it started showing the signs of giving up life in my tank. nothing helped it. i suggest you place it where you think its will be best.

in my tank my GSP did best at the bottom left for a while. then it just died back lol. back when i got it it was happy anywhere i put it, even at the very top closest to the light. other people do say that it loves good flow and higher light.

all i know is that my GSP likes my 10 gallon tank now. although it doesnt grow persay, it has awesome polyp extension and very nice color. in my pico is sucked big time.

keep me update on how it does! it should start looking real nice in the coming weeks :)

Archived