Innovative Marine Aquariums

New Algae Scrubbers

SantaMonica

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The algae in the scrubber will consume the nitrates, just as the algae in the oceans and lakes do. Algae does all the filtering, and feeding, in the lakes and oceans.

It's amazing what kind of BS you can pass off as fact if you say it confidently and often enough.

Ok, I have no problem accepting that an algae scrubber could be an effective form of filtration. To me it is essentially no different than putting macro algae in a refugium. Which is more effective...the refugium or algae scrubber...I have no idea...I can't imagine there is that much of a difference, but I have no proof of that. So, I'll just ignore that part of the discussion.

Here's my problem though. If you want to waltz in here and revolutionize the nano-reef world w/ this old school technology, you have to provide it in an application that is realistic for the average person with a nano-reef. I'm sorry, but adding an additional tank or having some hanging plumbed screen coming off the tank is not realistic for 60-80% of nano reef owners. Often the goal of nano reef owners is to keep things compact, simple, and clean looking. Therefore, if it doesn't fit in the chamber of an all-in-one tank, simply hang on the back of the tank (like in a converted hang on back filter), or in a small sump, it just wont work for most people. The reason the refugium has become so popular for nano reefs is because it easy to just toss a ball of chaeto and a small light in the chamber of an all-in-one tank or in a hang on back filter.

I just don't think your product/design will have much success in the nano reef world. Not because of whether or not algae scrubbers are effective or not, but simply because you aren't offering an application of this method that is realistic for most people with nano's.

I'd say spend some time really looking how people set up their nano's and how all-in-one tanks are designed. Then try to come up w/ some ways algae scrubbers could be better integrated into a nano that would be realistic for the average person's tank.

Forget about the science at this point. This is an engineering/application issue. And in that respect...on the engineering/application front...the case for the refugium is strong.

Why do we bother with this guy? He only addresses those who agree/sympathize with him, and makes no effort to address legitimate questions by others who doubt this system.

edit: "Forget about the science at this point. This is an engineering/application issue. And in that respect...on the engineering/application front...the case for the refugium is strong."

^ exactly.

Must be nice to advertise a product here for free

Unlike his "product", yours is tried and true with plenty of testimonials and pictures to back it up. Mods will get around to handling this eventually.

Why is everyone bashing this guy? He is not only providing a unique perspective but backing it up with some actual photos and test data. Do I wish he would answer more legitimate questions? Sure. But let's stop the bashing because it is really uncalled for.

Just because his take on nutrient export doesnt fit the mainstream for this site doesn't mean he needs to be driven away like some snake oil salesman.

Just because his take on nutrient export doesnt fit the mainstream for this site doesn't mean he needs to be driven away like some snake oil salesman.

You might look into what makes a snake oil salesman, and then look at his product and scheme again...

is he selling a product? I must have missed that.

He is a sponsor on other forums

http://www.algaescrubber.net/forums/viewto...p?f=2&t=502

His site is so confusing I don't know how anyone gets anything done. As DHaut will say below it is part of the game. They are providing a DIY guide yet in the end you are so confused you buy the screen or the entire unit. Whatever it amuses me keep posing SM.

Deleted User 6

pretty sure he or his lackeys have mentioned the algaescrubber5000 or whatever he sells on this site before. it really is a clever way to get around the rules actually.

So lets have a little fun.

1. Right click on the first image SantaMonica posted in this thread, view properties, and you find this to be the source of the image: http://www.radio-media.com/fish/LowLightScrubber.jpg

2. Remove /fish/Scrubber.jpg and go to http://www.radio-media.com

3. Oh look, a radio promotion company...Bryan Farrish Radio Promotions to be exact.

4. So lets google "Bryan Farrish" and 'algae" together just to confirm Brayn Farrish = SantaMonica

5. Oh interesting. Not only has he spewed this stuff all over every fish forum in the world, but has also managed to get an article on wetwebmedia with a link to his website (http://www.wetwebmedia.com/AlgScrubrArtBryan.htm).

6. Now take a look at the link StevieT posted.

Interesting conclusions:

1. Santa Monica 100 Acrylic Scrubber...only $649 USD + shipping

tumblr_ldp3jukzHo1qb9a2wo1_500.png

2. "SantaMonica" is a radio promoter, not a scientist, and probably doesn't even understand half the "science" he spews in his sales pitch threads (which are cleverly disguised as "diy" threads).

lol_face_Your_MumMom_Jokes-s274x280-119842-535.jpg

3. RADIO PROMOTERS EMBELLISH THE HELL OUT OF CRAP AND BLOW SH*T UP PEOPLE'S A**'S FOR A LIVING

tumblr_ld6beyWeQn1qdu68co1_500.jpg

Need I say more?

HecticDialectics

I remember discussing this almost two years ago

SantaMonica acted like he invented algae scrubbers

SantaMonica started posting BS "science" to back it up

SantaMonica was called out by the people he's choosing to "ignore".

SantaMonica then started quoting prominent reef authors out of context to support the algae scrubber.

SantaMonica was called out again for bastardizing science.

SantaMonica now claims that he's ignoring the folks that called him out. (lmao)

Oh, there we go!

Still relevant to this day. Go figure.

btw i highly recommend reading pages 1-8, it illustrates how the general forum used to be useful :P

So lets have a little fun.

1. Right click on the first image SantaMonica posted in this thread, view properties, and you find this to be the source of the image: http://www.radio-media.com/fish/LowLightScrubber.jpg

2. Remove /fish/Scrubber.jpg and go to http://www.radio-media.com

3. Oh look, a radio promotion company...Bryan Farrish Radio Promotions to be exact.

4. So lets google "Bryan Farrish" and 'algae" together just to confirm Brayn Farrish = SantaMonica

5. Oh interesting. Not only has he spewed this stuff all over every fish forum in the world, but has also managed to get an article on wetwebmedia with a link to his website (http://www.wetwebmedia.com/AlgScrubrArtBryan.htm).

6. Now take a look at the link StevieT posted.

Interesting conclusions:

1. Santa Monica 100 Acrylic Scrubber...only $649 USD + shipping

tumblr_ldp3jukzHo1qb9a2wo1_500.png

2. "SantaMonica" is a radio promoter, not a scientist, and probably doesn't even understand half the "science" he spews in his sales pitch threads (which are cleverly disguised as "diy" threads).

lol_face_Your_MumMom_Jokes-s274x280-119842-535.jpg

3. RADIO PROMOTERS EMBELLISH THE HELL OUT OF CRAP AND BLOW SH*T UP PEOPLE'S A**'S FOR A LIVING

tumblr_ld6beyWeQn1qdu68co1_500.jpg

Need I say more?

good enough for me.

Archived