SaltCritters.com

Upgrade to RSM 250

eguld

I have never seen so much aiptasia in my life!!!!!!!!! I think I liked the look of your tank better before the base rock...lol! Are there blinds for the window or glass door that you can cover it with to block the glare? If not, night time pics might be good. Otherwise... great start!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Awesome scape...I'm jealous of your 250 :P

I wish you luck with the Aptasia.

My LFS had an insane Aptasia out break, they used a copper band to wipe it out.

Thanks. I am quite sure the Berghia will take care of the aiptasia over the next few months, but if they don't...

I have never seen so much aiptasia in my life!!!!!!!!! I think I liked the look of your tank better before the base rock...lol! Are there blinds for the window or glass door that you can cover it with to block the glare? If not, night time pics might be good. Otherwise... great start!

Yeah I kind of agree with you that the open look is a little nicer but I like the benefits of the extra rock (extra filtration, greater copepod population, etc...)

I am not sure if I have much choice to get less reflection because the light from the tank reflects off the windows even at night, lol. I guess actual blinds are my only choice.

Believe it or not before the base rock went in there was so much aiptasia it actually looked very nice.

Could I get both a diamond goby and a yellow watchman goby?

I realize it is probably pushing it.

your aip eating nudis are going to have a field day!

Haha

Be weary on adding some Gobys and Wrasses. They both eat copepods so it will be competing with your mandarin for food.

Good luck with your aipastia!

I want a damn RSM bad. My wife would actually let me have that tank outside of my mancave.

Be weary on adding some Gobys and Wrasses. They both eat copepods so it will be competing with your mandarin for food.

Good luck with your aipastia!

I want a damn RSM bad. My wife would actually let me have that tank outside of my mancave.

Yes, it is really a big problem that most fish I want will gobble up copepods. Both my Clownfish and my six line wrasse are big copepod consumers and even my shrimps eat copepods.

Btw if you are going to get a RSM keep in mind that they are not quiet unless you turn off the extra fans, protein skimmer, and if you have one the chiller also.

I went to the LFS today and picked up a yellow watchman goby and a red mandarin dragonet (he was in great shape).

I also grabbed 3 bumble bee snails.

Of course naturally the watchman goby appears to have ich now but it could just be reflections of his blue dots (I know I'm dreaming but what else can I do at midnight).

Btw he was sitting outside the pistol shrimps cave earlier and the shrimp shot at him! It was awesome but scary.

have your berghia dented the aiptasia yet?

Not even a bit.

Seems they are more concerned with laying eggs right now. The left side of my tank has about 6-10 visible egg coils. I suspect that when these babies hatch and become visible in 2-3 weeks then the aiptasia will start withering away (ahahaha...).

So...

Both fish are dead...

Nitrates, nitrite, ammonia are all zero

Ph is 8-8.5 (I am bad at reading the colors)

Dkh is 7 ( a little low but nothing that bad suggested is 8-12 btw)

Now temp was at a high two days ago at 85 degrees and I am guessing that the high temp along with the stress of transportation might have done them in. I am not sure why my temp is getting so high but I have turned off the skimmer and reset the lights to only be on 8hrs instead of 10.

On the good news I am noticing less aiptasia on the left side of my tank and the eggs have begun hatching (or at least disappearing). So this means no water changes and no skimmer for 10 days give or take to ensure the first round have a chance.

I got my hands on a Nikon d70(its one of the big black cameras) and I decided to treat myself to some high rez pictures.

There is a general tank pic, lots of shots showing off aiptasia, candy cane coral, waving hand kenya tree coral (just put it in a few days ago from my biocube), a mini anemone! (just found it recently!!), and some polyps.

BTW all the Berghia egg coils have now hatched!

DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

I have never...ever... seen so much aiptasia in my life! I would love to see a timelapse of the berghai cleaning that up! you may end up with enough berghai to sell!

Hmm... I could do once a week picture and then speed it up as the Berghia get up to larger numbers. I would really like to be able to make back some of the money I spent on the Berghia.

How many Berghia do you have? Do you think they will breed fast enough to outpace the spread of aiptasia?

I bought 6 but they reproduce exponentially each one makes about 400 eggs which join the force after about 3 weeks.

I do think it will take 1.5 to 2 months for them to start making a dent.

My lfs had an ordering mistake last saturday and got 100 green mandarins!

Naturally anyone who ever wanted a mandarin is buying them since they have better odds in a smaller tank than at the lfs. So I decided yesterday to grab 2 and see if they would survive. I also had already ordered one from another lfs already which arrived today. So now I have 3 mandarins in my tank that all seem to be doing very well hunting pods. Luckily my order of 64oz of reef pods arrived today of which I dosed my tank with 24oz and put 8 oz in a little 5.5G tank to grow ( the rest are backup). If all 3 do well (in a month or so) I will likely give 1 to my brother whose tank is recovering form ich currently.

I want one! hopefully you have enough pods for 3!

Pods are keeping up so far but the two females seem to not get along anymore. Maybe one of the females has paired with the male and is now defending him?

So my solution is to take out the female that has not paired and put it in my brothers tank (10-20m away, lol) and this way all the mandarins will be safe and happy.

Also just added a rainfordi goby and as best as i can tell a spotted shrimp goby (same family as watchman goby) to pair with my pistol shrimp.

Females weren't getting along and the mandarins started eating much faster so 1 of the females has now gone to my brother and will hopefully do well in his tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived