Innovative Marine Aquariums

Byrdman's 40 Breeder

Byrdman

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have my mp40 and mp10 wirelessy synced. If you can go that route I suggest it (Obvious). You set the master speed and mode and then all slave pumps will work together wight the master to create some crazy flow patterns. I'm going to be taking my mp10 from another tank and put it on the back wall hopefully and have it all synced up.

I too am getting bryprosis I believe. I also am getting hair algae but it seems to be predominantly bryprosis which has me pissed. Hve you just raised the mg? I dont want to rush my system so I need to figure out when to eradicate the bryprosis at the proper time.

Tank looks awesome man, keep it up.

My pumps aren't wireless so I can't sync them. I have battled every algae with this new tank an staring at it right now most is gone now. I raised my mg to 1600 with tech m early on. I'll try to snap some pics of the tank in the next couple days. I think with new tanks alot of this stuff happens and will take care of itself. I was going to start vodka dosing but my nitrates are under five and phosphates are .03. Not sure how accurate phosphate is but most of my algae has completely diminished.

Here is a quick fts I took of the tank with my iPhone. Going to try to take a few close ups of coral tomorrow with my other camera. (as close as I can with the crappy camera)

4a848176-b958-631e.jpg

I am dosing 2ml of vodka daily and 3 ml of mb7 once a week. The cyano and byropsis algae have dissappeared. There are just a few spots of ha remaining. I moved my bonsai cause it was losing some color so I moved it lower in hopes to bring deeper purple back out. 

Did you get the mp10s working the way u wanted. Glad to here the alge is clearing up, also have you seen a difference since you have been vodka dosing? I have been thinking about it but dont know what the advantage is right now.

Well since I can't sync them I have them both on rc mode. The random flow seems to be great. I am under dosing vodka as to not saturate the tank but I made the comment toy wife the tank looks clearer and the algae has diminished quite a bit also. Some of my corals color seem to be brightening up as well. I ordered some amino acids as well to dose to the tank as well. Glass cleanings have also diminished to about once a week

Not to be intrusive but...Vortech offers a way to upgrade your controller to the wireless settings as long as you have the white controller it should be simple.

I'm excited to see how much vodka and acids you are doSing. Did you get mb7 or another amino acid?

Here's couple pics of the frags in the tank.  

4a848176-b8f9-6524.jpg

Green birdsnest. Broke some pieces off this one while trying to remount this. 

4a848176-b955-ab59.jpg

Pink birdsnest with purple polyps. 

4a848176-b993-fb8f.jpg

Green digita. 

4a848176-b9b3-6463.jpg

Mellow yellow milli

Not to be intrusive but...Vortech offers a way to upgrade your controller to the wireless settings as long as you have the white controller it should be simple.

I'm excited to see how much vodka and acids you are doSing. Did you get mb7 or another amino acid?

Yes the controllers are white. Please explain :)

I am dosing 3ml of mb7 weekly and.1 ml of vodka daily. It's below what is needed I'm sure but nitrate and phosphates were very minimal when I tested.

On the Vortech website (www.Ecotechmarine.com) on products page there should be the Ecosmart Upgrade Kit. That is what you need to buy for each controller. I'm thinking about adding my other mp10 to the back of this tank for additional flow but we shall see.

Jealous of your birdsnest I've never had any luck with them.

I only plan to use one MP10 myself. If I absolutely have to I will toss a Koralia in there to move some water if there are stagnant areas.

I had one mp40 on here but felt there was a few dead spots and if I turned it up too much it moved too much water at surface. I believe these two are perfect. Not sure if one mp10 would be enough for sps dominant tank IMO.

Couple more pics. 4a848176-c44c-ff6e.jpg

Garf Bonsai in it's new spot. 

4a848176-c477-e9e1.jpg

Not a very good pic but I mounted my green slimer on my overflow box. 

4a848176-c4c9-83b6.jpg

Pink milli from LA has some stn at bottom but had it when it came in. It's a mariculture coral but seems to be doing ok now. 

On the Vortech website (www.Ecotechmarine.com) on products page there should be the Ecosmart Upgrade Kit. That is what you need to buy for each controller. I'm thinking about adding my other mp10 to the back of this tank for additional flow but we shall see.

Jealous of your birdsnest I've never had any luck with them.

Thanks for the info. The pink and pink with purple polyps seem to be taking off in this tank. My green one I had to remount because it wasn't secure on it's plug and swayed in the strong current. When I took it out and cut it it shot up in the air hity ceiling and feel in corner breaking into three pieces. Lol it was kind of funny after it was all said and done.

If it cost alot to upgrade I won't di it. It be nice just to have but not sure if I would use it. I have read slave pumps only operate at 50-60% of master so I'm better off keeping the separate.

Was browsing through my pics on my iPhone and come across pic of my birdsnest frag when I got it last month right after Xmas. I guess I need to take pics every month or so to see the growth. 

4a848176-cc00-69d0.jpg

Pic after I first recieved frags.

4a848176-cc2f-b326.jpg

Pic as of last week. 

I just left for a month, while I was gone I didn't want to see any pictures of my tank just so that when I returned I could see how much growth there was. One birdsnest in particular doubled, almost tripled, in size. It's nuts. If it keeps up at this rate I will be trimming it back in no time at all.

Tank looks good. Just wondering what you are feeding your tank and how often are you feeding?

Thanks! I feed my fish twice a day with pe mysis and nice with spectrum pellets. I dose a total if .15 daily and mb7 once a week at 3 ml. Last week I started dosing elos amino acids six drops every other day. I believe I am still below where I should be vodka wise. I stay away from the instructions on finding maintenance dose because I didn't want to saturate tank.

Although it's not the clearest picture in the world because it's with my iPhone and these are really small, but while looking at my tank these evening I noticed that I have baby banded trochus snails! This is the second time they spawned for me but the first in the breeder. Here is a pic. They are hard to spot cause there shells blend in with the coraline on the lr. 

4a848176-99e5-0838.jpg

4a848176-19a0-c077.jpg

Help with this coral

What exactly would cause sps to loose tissue in the middle of the coral. I don't see any red bugs. In this pic you can see tissue lose in the middle of the coral. I clipped off a

Section in the lower corner that had algae growing on it because it was dead all other coral seem to be fine and not affected by this.Alk is 9.5 ca is 440 mg is 1500 sg is 1.026 I bumped up nightly dose of two part and alk went up 1 dkh in 8 days. I dose 3ml of mb7 once a week and .2 ml daily of vodka.

Current Tank: AGA 40 Breeder Drilled with Corner Overflow, 29 sump, Reef Octopus 110,Eheim return, 2 MP10 ES, and six bulb Nova Pro.

Current Tank Info: 20 long nano currently working on 40 Breeder

Archived